80/20 seated height from floor

About to take the plunge. For those with something like the GT1-Evo, quick question about your thoughts on the height of the cockpit when seated: totally fine/I'm overthinking things or does it sit low to the floor/could benefit from additional risers?

Just being mindful of comfort, getting in/out of the rig and wanting to get as close to everything I need in a single order/shipment. Thanks!

You can choose where you want the seat position, at the moment have gone for a very laid back seat for comfort with pedals set high, screen very close.
It depends what suits, used to run seat vertical like a gt3 car pedals low. I now prefere a more cosy seating environment.
That is the best thing about 80/20, constantly modifying it to get a more refined driving experience. :)

Upvote 0
Generally, most people tend to install the seat as low as possible, which gives you the feeling of sitting in a low sports car everytime you jump into your rig. In my case, when I designed my rig I preferred to rise the seat a little bit, just to have room underneath to place some stuff (amps, power suplies, power strip, cables, etc.). Anyway, the importance lies in the relation in height between the seat, the steering wheel and pedals. With 80/20 you can make the adjustment of the steering wheel height very easily. As regards the pedals, it depends on your rig's characteristics or design. Of course, all this is subjective and depends on your preferences, for instance about the kind of driving position you want to simulate: F1, GT, rally, street car...

Upvote 0
Thanks for the quick feedback! I expect to use a more upright GT-style position with a typical side-mount bucket. I'm going with the GT1-Evo. Based on the 80mm (3") high profile for the base, my loose math puts the seat 7-8" off the ground (inclusive of seat base profile/slider/brackets). I mocked it up here at home and it felt a bit low, so I think I'll look at some risers.

Upvote 0
It's very easy increase the height of a rig with some adjustable feet. I've got an GT1-Evo and these feet increase the height around 6cm. You could easily do 10cm if needed.

ysDQUHz.jpg

Upvote 0
Excellent, thanks!

@Chrhun: Since you have the same rig, is the added 6cm helpful/noticeable in any way?

I've never sat in an 8020 cockpit before so I'm going entirely on photos/opinions, which I appreciate. I'm not worried about seat position or height in relation to the wheel deck -- all of that is quite adjustable. It's the whole rig being so close to the floor that I'm worried about.

I thought about including some additional brackets/short lengths of profile to serve as risers, but from the feedback here it doesn't seem to be much of a concern. I have been known to overthink a thing or two. ;)

Upvote 0
I installed the risers for a motion kit requiring some extra clearance, not for comfort reasons. I do agree that the rig in it's original form is quite low, but I (at 40+) did not find inconvenient to get in or out. The rig is so solid that it's easy to grab something to support you.

The motion unit supports the whole rig now, so I can't really say if the risers themselves would be 100% solid. However, I did shortly test the stability of the rig with the risers only and it seemed fine. Best solution would be something like what comes with the P1X rig as they spread out a bit. I think you could buy those from Simlab, you just need to ask them.

Upvote 0
I also just got the GT1 Evo and was considering risers for the same reason. Decided that I would just try it as is for the time being and it is low to the ground but when you are sat in it the position feels very good and natural so it is just getting in and out. But as somebody said above the rig is so incredibly sturdy it's easy to grab something to lift yourself up :)
Also got to add that the GT1 Evo is an amazing cockpit. I couldn't be happier with mine :)

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea