43" Monitor Decisions and Impracticalities

Looking to upgrade my 27" IPS triple monitors to larger for more immersion. Going to 32" monitors unfortunately does not increase my FOV because I'd have to move them back to clear the steering wheel base, thus the next stop is 43". At 43" in the same place as the 32" monitors, my vFOV increases by a substantial 10 degrees!

Okay, let's go shopping. Dang, there are only two 43" monitors with increased refresh rates and they just came out circa December/January: Acer (US $1500) and Asus (US $1000). Both monitors are BRG VA panels, so have poor text and viewing angles. The Asus already has a bad reputation, while the Acer's reputation is marginally better and it comes with 120 Hz GSYNC.

All other monitors are 60 Hz. There's an HP that's over US $1,000, so it's out of consideration (why pay that much for only 60 Hz?). LG has updated their IPS 43" monitor without offering any discount on the old model; both are available on Amazon for US ~$700. And good old Viewsonic hasn't changed their IPS model in 3 years.

Reading reviews, the LG is fragile, as in it is easy to break the panel when moved. I think the LG will accept a 1440p input, where that is not listed for the Viewsonic. The Viewsonic's panel otherwise seems to be marginally better. The Viewsonic is scarce and most prices seem to be above MSRP (US $676), however I've located a place that has them decently below MSRP.

My current 27" monitors are 1080p and can operate at 75 Hz if I use a Windows custom resolution. Currently I'm running them at 60 Hz because the occasional Windows or nVidia driver update kills the custom resolution and it's a pain to recreate it. So though I like a refresh of at least 75 Hz, apparently I can get by with 60 Hz these days. With the 4k monitors, I'd still be simracing at 1080p until the video card is upgraded at some future date. Regular desktop, though, would be running at 4k.

So the decision has three outcomes:
1) Do nothing because the perfect 43" monitors do not yet exist (high refresh rate IPS panel)
2) Buy the Viewsonic monitors because of price & quality and regret not having a high refresh rate
3) Buy the Acer monitors, break the budget, and be disappointed by the VA panel text & viewing angle

Overall, I'm leaning towards 2 due to FOV lust, but 1 is probably more practical in the COVID world. I read that Samsung is leaving LCD behind and exclusively going to QLED manufacture. Is that going to drive panel costs up? Have I missed anything else (other than VR)?

Not exactly by your specs, but i got the Samsung CRG9 (LC49RG90SSU) a few months ago and i'm very pleased with it so far. Maybe have a look at that?

EDIT: Having read your post properly this time, i realized you're looking to replace your triple monitors with new triples, so the Samsung is probably not an option :confused:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

What about ultrawide monitors? Would three 35 inch ultrawides give you the increased fov (albeit with reduced height)?
Not really.
1588706448335.png

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

They finally released HDR1000 UQ model. should be a nice upgrade over previous one, is it still BGR or proper RGB?

Upvote 0
They finally released HDR1000 UQ model. should be a nice upgrade over previous one, is it still BGR or proper RGB?

BGR on a VA panel. The text problem, though, appears to be due to DSC (compression) when running 144 Hz because one review showed good text if you capped at 120 Hz on the monitor so it doesn't need DSC to get the signal through on a single cable. Still, it's a VA panel and has that color shift when viewed from angles.

This review shows bad ghosting!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No sale if no DP 1.4. Not sure if I have enough room to have triple 48", LOL.

It seems clear that HDMI 2.1 will be featured/supported on the upcoming GPU and surpasses DP 1.4
Only time will tell if it becomes adopted to monitors in the next 12-24 months but that's also likely as future consoles will support it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm resigned to 60 Hz, at least for now. 43" 16:9 panels just aren't yet where they need to be for higher refresh even though we have a few examples and since GPUs aren't going to be running triple 4k either, 60 Hz is still practical.

After contemplating the Viewsonic, I finally noticed the GTG was 12 ms (oops!). This is why it's good to let expensive purchases stew for a bit before committing. Started to reconsider the LG, but dimming of final 4-5 pixels at sides & bottom would be annoying as a general characteristic that appears to be part of the LG panel.

Dell U4320Q was still a strong technical candidate yet $1050 list price was impractical. It has a fast mode which puts GTG at 5 ms. Reviewers note overall dimming compared to center brightness, but attribute it to viewing angle and they all believe a curved display would make that go away. I have my reasons for preferring flat monitors, so at this time, I'll accept slight viewing angle dimming as a tradeoff for the size. Sadly, the bezel is a bit wide at 11mm, but as a percentage of screen real estate, it is less than on 27" monitors.

Fortunately, Dell has them on sale now for $840 with free shipping https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/accessories/apd/210-avke, so I opened my wallet for this ridiculously expensive add-on to my simrig. "Get it by June 4"... yeah, okay, Dell 3-year warranty is worth waiting 3 weeks for free delivery.

Upvote 0
I have a Samsung 50" running in gaming mode, and it's running fine with a great picture. $383.00 in the US. EDIT: I should add that I have an MSI 32" curved, and I prefer the 50" way over that monitor, plus the picture quality is the same in my eyes.

Attachments

• 92359476_3159856980692757_2380451324199174144_n.jpg
    92359476_3159856980692757_2380451324199174144_n.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Fortunately, Dell has them on sale now for $840 with free shipping https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/accessories/apd/210-avke, so I opened my wallet for this ridiculously expensive add-on to my simrig. "Get it by June 4"... yeah, okay, Dell 3-year warranty is worth waiting 3 weeks for free delivery.

The monitors are here!

I've got them hooked up, they're gorgeous, and have run into an unexpected snag. For some reason, my GTX 1080 only recognizes 11520x2160 for Surround; won't let me downscale to 5760x1080, doesn't even offer that as a choice or allow custom surround resolutions! You can set individual screens to 1920x1080, but Surround only sees 11520x2160. A quick google has turned up a few other people with the same complaint and no answers...

Hopefully I won't need to buy a new computer before I'm inclined to?

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

The monitors are here!

I've got them hooked up, they're gorgeous, and have run into an unexpected snag. For some reason, my GTX 1080 only recognizes 11520x2160 for Surround; won't let me downscale to 5760x1080, doesn't even offer that as a choice or allow custom surround resolutions! You can set individual screens to 1920x1080, but Surround only sees 11520x2160. A quick google has turned up a few other people with the same complaint and no answers...

Hopefully I won't need to buy a new computer before I'm inclined to?
Wait, you use 43" 4K monitors for triples? :confused:
Post a picture.

Upvote 0
Wait, you use 43" 4K monitors for triples? :confused:
Post a picture.

As of today! That's what this whole thread is about. FWIW, I was pleasantly surprised that triple 4k was actually playable in rF2 at 50+ fps on my GTX 1080 without changing any in-game settings until rain/darkness fell. :cool:

Pictures Soon (tm)

Gotta break'em in first and there's still tons of cleanup & adjustments to make. Just wish I could figure out that Surround resolution thing... apparently a few people have succeeded in various ways.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back