1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

3D models

Discussion in 'F1 2012 Mods' started by Miek., Sep 22, 2012.

1. So, I want to look into getting model import/export going on for F1 2012 (and probably end up supporting the other CM games if it works out). I may end up just making scripts for the modelling apps if it's easier, so I want to see what people want to use. :)

Also, i'm not an expert on modelling, so if there's anyone experienced that I could chat to and ask basic questions then that would be useful. Add me on Steam if interested.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Petar Tasev

Petar Tasev
    Ryder25

I thought you gave up on it with Dirt 3. I hope you go through with it this time :cool:

I'm guessing 3DS Max will end up being the most popular. But then Blender is free

3. Lost interest, but just bought F1 so it should hold me for a while :p

4. what do you use for human models?

5. I go for Maya but it kinda don't matter for 3DsMax and Maya since both are made by the same company, swapping files between the 2 is pretty easy. I have been waiting for someone to figure out how to import models into the game since day one and I am sure it is complicated. The game itself is unfriendly when it comes to 3D modellers,

6. ML2166

ML2166
    If quizzes are quizzical then what are tests?

Exporting and Importing for 3DS Max for me.

Exporting the models first and formost.

7. ML2166

ML2166

It's complicated.

4 or so different programs, some scripts, and a lot of file re-naming (testing).

Would need to write a book to explain it all.

8. Petar Tasev

Petar Tasev
    Ryder25

@Michael Sandee

You should definitely help him out since you are learning about models yourself.

9. My main issue is that i'm not a modeller. I can get the data quite happily, but I need somebody who's experienced with modelling software to tell me how it should look once exported.

10. ML2166

ML2166

I'm not sure what you are doing here Miek.....but what about extracting unabtainable models, like helmet, driver etc etc.....is that possible?

11. Dunno, where are they? :p

Edit: nvm, had a quick look - definitely possible, they're arranged differently in the pssg db but it shouldn't be too hard.

12. ML2166

ML2166

Sounds interesting.

Let me know what you come up with.

13. My brother is an industrial designer,he creates 3D models mostly in solid works which isn't gaming friendly but industrial friendly. He also does 3DS Max sometimes,so he came up with this car designing and 3D modeling himself.Its been built completely from scratch from mesh to mesh.

I can get you a few support if you like because i certainly believe making PSSG convertible in both ways(importing and exporting) would be a REVOLUTION of modding. I'm pretty much sure i'll be one of the few to nail it. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  14. That's the difficult bit :p
    It's definitely possible but just needs a fair bit of work.

• Like Like x 1
  15. My support will be by your side ;) Any help required,just ask me..i'll try my best to help you.

16. When I have looked into extracting the 3D models thats how they come out, even the high lod ones arent much better, how did you get the much more defined looking model you posted above?

17. Any 3D model looks likes that. 3D simed can fix that.