3 Months After His Horrific Accident, Bourdais Cleared to Return to Racing

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Bourdais Indy 500 Crash.jpg

Multiple IndyCar champion and former Toro Rosso driver Sebastien Bourdais has been cleared to return to IndyCar duty, just over three months after his horrific 118G Indy 500 crash.

Initially expected to be sitting out the remainder of the 2017 IndyCar season, Frenchman Sebastien Bourdais has taken to social media to confirm doctors have passed the 38 year old driver fit to resume his racing career with immediate effect, ending what has been a remarkable recovery from what appeared to be a potentially career ending accident during qualifying for May's Indy 500 showcase event.

Bourdais would leave the Indianapolis Motor Speedway under medical assistance with fractures to his pelvis and a broken hip, following a terrifying 230 mph accident on the legendary oval venue. Bourdais would lose control of his Dale Coyne run Dallara DW12 at turn two, making contact with the wall and flipping the car upside down before eventually coming to rest right side up further down the circuit. Sustaining 118G worth of impact forces, many at the time believed Bourdais fortunate to escape without more serious injuries to the on form driver, with only five days hospital care required before he shipped back home to begin a tough recovery process.

Reports at the time suggested Bourdais would remain away from the cockpit for the entirety of 2017, however following a brief test last month, the driver has now confirmed a return to racing is already back on the cards, with a potential drive at Watkins Glen and Sonoma lined up next month.

Bourdais Twitter Return.png

For more from the world of car racing, head over to our Motorsports Sub Forum and catch the latest news, start a discussion and hang out with your fellow racing fans.

Surprised to see Bourdais return to action so quickly after his Indy shunt? At 38 and returning from a long lay off, can the Frenchman recapture his early season form? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:

Jan Larsen

Premium
They're still very much rip(ieces)..

Well as long as the fractures are healed to sustain another impact, I dont see a problem. But why only road courses? Are the bones not healed enough to risk another oval hit? Is it too soon?

Really glad to see him back in the car, there's probably a little bit of secrecy involved if you like as there's no way he's 100% by now. Probably about 80%.

So I'm hoping he's not trying to come back to soon. I don't think any of us would want him to make his injuries worse and force a comeback ahead of schedule.

However he's an asset to Indycar and a top driver so wishing him all the best for the rest of the year :)

Also, just worth mentioning the 2018 Indycar will have even more reinforcement in the side pods and drivers area for accidents just like his. So it's good Indycar are still working on this area and making the cars safer. :thumbsup:

Instead of returning, I think he'd rest for at least a few more months... that's the best for his leg and his future career.

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 90 19.2%
  • €151-500

Votes: 123 26.2%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 80 17.1%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 42 9.0%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 47 10.0%
  • €3001-5000