2017 Formula One American Grand Prix

he cut the corner and gained a position as a result

the penalty is justified
Didn't Hamilton drive his fastest qualifying lap as well with 4 wheels off the track? Is that not gaining an advantage? The penalty on Max may have been justified looking at the rules, but what about the rest of the weekend?

Just saw some repeats of other overtakes during the race (e.g. Sainz Ocon) and these were not penalised.
https://twitter.com/thedyno900/status/922217667045584897/photo/1

Last edited:
He never fully left the track and had contact with the kerb at all times during the move so I'd call that ' riding the kerb ' and not ' leaving the track ' . Mark Webber is spot on :roflmao:

Curbs are not part of the track.

Cutting a track and winning a place is not innocent.
He deserves a penalty or next race that will be "the sausage fest" how we used to say in France to talk about disorder. lol

By the way, nice weather, nice track, nice race.:)
Did you mean "fête du slip"? :p

Of course Max was off track with all 4 wheels during the overtake. But what drives me mad is the fact that the stewards are inconsistent with penalties and track limits. On Twitter there are plenty of examples to be found: Lewis on his pole lap exiting turn 9, Sainz on the Force India in turn 14, etc. That's what is so messed up about this. Still an epic move though, despite the slight excursion off track ;)

Also, Bottas showed once again today why he is the clear second driver. Made some moves which were unnecessary while defending, just not fast enough to compete for the WDC

What about this?
IMG_4874.png

What about this?
IMG_4874.png
That is exactly the reason why the stewards are a bunch of moronic, inconsistent cucks... Only when “harm” done to their beloved Ferrari they will stand up and punish. Even more so when Verstappen is involved.

And the inconsistency is even greater when you look at the mad actions of Magnussen on the racetrack... Gets away with everything. But hey, Ferrari engine... Though it didn’t helped Ericsson to have a Ferrari engine. Again, with the strange inconsistency of the stewards, Ericsson gets penalized while he just takes advantage of an overtake in a blue flag situation and Magnussens slams the door, intentionally or not...

Apart from a few actions and Verstappens brilliant race it was rather dull and boring race which leaves a bad taste because of the strange involvement of the stewards all weekend long. :mad:

Well technically its a overtake that took place outside the track limits so penalty is justified. However if you go down that road you could have penalized a few more drivers for the same cause this race.

In my opinion just let the drivers figure it out on track by themselves instead of this inconsistent micro judging crap that's going on. Let them wow us, even when its close to or just over the limit its what we or well at least i want to see.

Sainz should also have been penalized, please don't use this as an argument for Verstappen. The rules are crystal clear on this one; the white lines are part of the track, and the kerbs are not. Couldn't be any clearer. If someone does this on qualifying and gains time their lap shouldn't count. The rules should be clear and should not change according to "what people like to see".

(Also didn't Verstappen push Bottas off the track at the end? I was surprised that was not a penalty.)

Say goodbye to any sports then when there are no spectators :)

Why even have rules then :)

I'd even go so far as to say that a sport can be defined as a set of rules. Sure you could go for maximizing spectators, but hopefully you know there is a difference between a sport and a spectacle like going to the circus. They're both great though.

I wouldn't watch F1 if it was a pure spectacle, and I'm not the only one. A great, interesting sport can bring spectators just because of the high-level competition, and yes, spectacle. There is no need to tweak every parameter to maximize spectators, unless you think that making money is the most interesting thing in the world. Instead, one should maximize the "right" spectators :)

unless you think that making money is the most interesting thing in the world
Well apparently these stewards get some money with their decisions.
This same guy Garry Connelly was at the Mexican GP last year when Hamilton could easily cut T1.
Garry Connelly asked Ferrari to file a investigation against Verstappen in Japan 2016.. this Garry Connelly guy ain't correct
Why even have rules then :)
Why have rules when you don't use them consistently.

What about this?
IMG_4874.png
Sainz did not pass Ocon, did he?

I found Verstapen's pass stunning and I was disappointed he lost his 3rd place, but honestly he was outside the track at some time during overtaking. This is not allowed in F1, in any other series nowadays or even in simracing leagues like RD and many others.

Last edited:
Sainz did not pass Ocon, did he?

I found Verstapen's pass stunning and I was disappointed he lost his 3rd place, but honestly he was outside the track at some time during overtaking. This is not allowed in F1, in any other series nowadays or even in simracing leagues like RD and many others.
Sainz did not there, but there are also many other examples where people ran wide and gained an advantage, or gained an advantage during multiple cutting. Sainz ran wide at least once and gained a position there.
Also Hamilton got outside the track limits on his pole lap. In any racesimulator his lap would have been invalidated..

At no time there was a problem with track limits, but just this specific super overtake it was..

My question to FIA is just: why aren't you consistent?!

Going by the rulebook the penalty for Verstappen is perfectly fine. It's a cut and two wheels no longer are on the track. The debate on Twitter/TV shouldn't be about that.

The discussion should be about the inconsistency of penalizing drivers. Max can be rightfully pissed about that. But gosh our Dutch TV channel no longer is neutral in it's coverage. It is getting embarrassing now.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back