2014 Formula One British Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well for one, I've yet to see someone able to defend that well in this DRS era of F1.
Hülkenberg vs that very Alonso? ;)

Well, Senna used to do the same thing...
Granted, but those were different times.
You just can't keep doing that over and over.
I won't criticise a driver for doing that once or twice but at some point you just got to accept that the car behind you is faster and you'll risk ending both your races (see Perez vs Kimi at Monaco 2013) if the overtaking driver won't back down so neatly like Vettel did...

Enjoyed every bit of Alonso's race with Vettel.

Oh so did I. I don't have to like what he did to enjoy the wheel-to-wheel racing :D
Only downside was both of them behaving like spoiled brats...

Alonso is one heck of a driver.
This coming from a guy who does not normally root for... or against him.
Nobody can deny that fact.
To hold Vettel off for that much time.. in an inferior handling car on much, much older tires is something special.
His time at Minardi as a test and development driver I believe is the key to how good he is now.
He can take a 'dog' of a car and pull it around any racetrack....something he learned there.
He just has massive ability to extract every ounce of potential from a race car.

I was there! I was sat at Woodcote B seat 84 row U. Wow, I saw the Vettel overtake on Alonso after he overtook him. Everyone thought they were going to crash! And the place just exploded when Rosberg pulled over and Hamilton was leading. I ran to the toilet when it was red flag because I thought it was going to be a quick one, they ended up replacing the barrier! Also saw Keiser Cheifs and ABC play there (K C on Thursday and ABC on the Saturday).

I think whenever I'm much older, say sixty or seventy, I know for certain that I'll look back on this era of F1 and be so grateful that I've witnessed Alonso race. Words can't describe how talented and skilled he is. What an incredible driver.

Chilton was a lucky boy yesterday
Br5BndIIcAAnd32.jpg

Alonso is one heck of a driver.
This coming from a guy who does not normally root for... or against him.
Nobody can deny that fact.
To hold Vettel off for that much time.. in an inferior handling car on much, much older tires is something special.

Well, Perez and Hülkenberg do the same very often, beeing on older tyres because of doing one stop less.

Overtaking is still not easy and the Red Bull is far from being a top car this season. No doubt Alonso is very good but others are too.

Well, Perez and Hülkenberg do the same very often, beeing on older tyres because of doing one stop less.

Overtaking is still not easy and the Red Bull is far from being a top car this season. No doubt Alonso is very good but others are too.

Agreed. And Vettel had to make a pass in a car that was clearly inferior in terms of top speed to all non-Renault teams, which must not be under-stated. For Alonso, it was easier to defend in the corners with little downforce/broken downforce, than for Vettel to pass on the straights with a car that was essentially a snail - at least, the engine is.

And Alonso was essentially divebombing Vettel into Turn 6, giving him the responsibility of deciding whether or not either of them continue in the race.

But Alonso has always been like this, since he had nothing to lose really, from his personal point of view. The only times I have seen him take a more realistic and decent approach, was Abu Dhabi 2010, and Interlagos 2012, because both times he had much more to lose.

• Deleted member 161052

Bottas could have a big chance to win.

Regarding Bottas, he's a real talent, regardless if he has won yet or not. Nobody's gonna beat the Mercs this year if nothing mechanical goes wrong for them, but he's been best of the rest twice this year, which is a great achievement.

His attitude is great as well - typical Finn, but much more approachable than Kimi, for instance. Also, he has a very realistic outlook, does not cloud his mind with "what could have been".

Yes, and that was in equal speed cars, not one behind that crawls in a straight line, on a track which is easier to overtake.
You can't really say the RB crawls in a straight line... He had DRS, he had slipstream, he had fresher tyres, which maybe meant he had a better run onto the wellinghton straight, and he actually was side-by-side with Nando a few times.

Who knows? Maybe it's not the Renault engine? Maybe Vettel just set-up his gearbox wrong at the start of the season?

OK, yes it is the engine... But it's not much worse than the Ferrari

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back