2014 Ferrari V6 turbo engine track test

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
Howard Choularton submitted a new blog post:

2014 Ferrari V6 turbo engine track test

[youtube]

After hearing dyno samples from various F1 engine suppliers the vast majority of our forum members weren't impressed with the 2014 V6 turbo spec engine sounds.

Well listen to this. A LaFerrari chassis equipped with what possibly is the V6 Turbo to be used in the Scuderia car next year by Fernando Alonso and Kimi Raikkonen. The camouflaged car was caught in action at Ferrari's test circuit Fiorano.

Is your hope restored? Comment below...
Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited by a moderator:
At the 1st while I thought it was horrible! Light a pressure-cooker. :xD But now after 2-3 times I heard that I like it! It seems quite an old engine (almost like '60s one) until we hear the turbo in the straight.
I know that point of the track (I also saw Sebastian Stahl testing the 156 GTA for the WTCC from there), there are many builduings so we must consider a certain boom.

The pattern fits to the whole package. Turbo noises on downshifts, basically no engine noises until you're finished braking and start to trailbrake. Huge whistle as the turbo has zero lag as it's spinning already, changing turbo-modes and using electrical motors on acceleration. It all fits.

It sounds like they are experimenting on some radical engine mapping.. Engine mapping is THE key to 2014 championship win. If you can utilize all the available power in different forms, harvest efficiently (thus no engine braking, dynamo handles braking, so we hear the engine literally starting again just before apex...)

One thing is certain: i love this stuff. I know, the 70s.. and 80s.. and 90s.. etc.. The older you get, the less happy you are about change and long for the days of youth.. Yeah, my favorites are in the 80s too but this uber-hi-tech, complex, innovative, all of that excites me more. It's NEW!

If this is true, you have to remember that fitted into a road car, it won't go anywhere near the 15000 RPM maximum.
Also the exhausts will sound different too.

Not a bad sounding low-end rev range though.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back