1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

2014 Ferrari V6 turbo engine track test

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Bram, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Bram

Bram
    Roaring Pipes Maniacs | #27 Staff Premium Member

Howard Choularton submitted a new blog post:

2014 Ferrari V6 turbo engine track test

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2013
  2. Chris Butcher

Chris Butcher
    Red Bull Gridsters 2012 Champion

I hope that is the F1 V6 - that sounds pretty cool :)

3. Oh my god, it sounds awesome! I like this sound. Reminds me of the older F1 cars.

4. Bram

Bram

Love the whistle: Pféééééw!

5. Andrew Ford

Andrew Ford
    Premium Member

compared to this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqaJKTRs-Kg

6. i just came (sorry for the explicit language)

• Like Like x 1
  7. ML2166

ML2166
    If quizzes are quizzical then what are tests?

Jeeeezus. What a soundtrack.

8. Sorry but i don,t like that sound at all !!!!
    A F1 car has to have at least a V8 !!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. At the 1st while I thought it was horrible! Light a pressure-cooker. :xD But now after 2-3 times I heard that I like it! It seems quite an old engine (almost like '60s one) until we hear the turbo in the straight.
    I know that point of the track (I also saw Sebastian Stahl testing the 156 GTA for the WTCC from there), there are many builduings so we must consider a certain boom.

10. Sound's like a V10 on Marijuana. Think of the intro to track called sweet leaf by Black Sabath when Tony Rommi coughs after taking in some Marijuana from a giant Bong

11. Gavin Hendley

Gavin Hendley
    Meta-SIM-morphosing

Is my hope restored....No

"A LaFerrari chassis equipped with what POSSIBLY is the V6 Turbo" it is or it isn't, I think not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Risto Kappet

Risto Kappet
    Premium Member

If its true... amazing sound

13. Bram

Bram

If its not the F1 engine, what else can it possible be? Its a turbo whistle alright and as far as I know Ferrari isn't producing V8, V10 or V12 turbo engines.

14. The pattern fits to the whole package. Turbo noises on downshifts, basically no engine noises until you're finished braking and start to trailbrake. Huge whistle as the turbo has zero lag as it's spinning already, changing turbo-modes and using electrical motors on acceleration. It all fits.

It sounds like they are experimenting on some radical engine mapping.. Engine mapping is THE key to 2014 championship win. If you can utilize all the available power in different forms, harvest efficiently (thus no engine braking, dynamo handles braking, so we hear the engine literally starting again just before apex...)

One thing is certain: i love this stuff. I know, the 70s.. and 80s.. and 90s.. etc.. The older you get, the less happy you are about change and long for the days of youth.. Yeah, my favorites are in the 80s too but this uber-hi-tech, complex, innovative, all of that excites me more. It's NEW!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Whatevert it is in that video, I love the sound of it, prefer it to the simple whine of the V10s for sure.

16. Really, I dont care about what engine they use, as long as we have good racing!

17. Chris Jenkins

Chris Jenkins
    Driving til the wheels fall off

If this is true, you have to remember that fitted into a road car, it won't go anywhere near the 15000 RPM maximum.
    Also the exhausts will sound different too.

Not a bad sounding low-end rev range though.

18. You know a V6 Turbo Ferrari is a fancy name for re badged FIAT Engine.

19. Oh yeah, I'm sure they'll just put in a 200 HP engine from a Punto...

20. pfft

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
    • Like Like x 2