2013 Formula One Monaco Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh what a nice advantage. That BIG advantage landed them positions 17 and 16..

Everyone has the same opportunities, dry, wet or changing conditions.

Di Resta lost out as he never pitted for new inters and Maldonado messed up his last run in Q2. If you don't think anyone got a big advantage out of the conditions look at Giedo Van Der Garde. Are you honestly trying to saying he would have got P15 if conditions were constant?

Di Resta lost out as he never pitted for new inters and Maldonado messed up his last run in Q2. If you don't think anyone got a big advantage out of the conditions look at Giedo Van Der Garde. Are you honestly trying to saying he would have got P15 if conditions were constant?
everyone has the same opportunities when the session starts.

"Maldonado messed up his last run in Q2"

Oh ok, it´s everyone else´s fault then...my bad...

I don´t think it´s that clear cut.

If you were to strap in Nico in last years Mclaren i doubt he would be able to do the same because the cars are setup completely different.

Mclaren very front end oriented car with the rear a little bit looser and at Mercedes it´s the other way around, very solid rear end.
If you run one set for years you´ll start to get very good at it.

One example is the downshifting. Lewis has never in his career downshifted like that.
It´s not easy jumping from car to car. It takes time to really get in the groove.
Especially when your teammate has run the same car for three years with the same DNA and is not exactly a slouch over a lap.

With that said, not taking anything away from Nico but i don´t think it´s that clear cut.
It just looks worse with the fact that they are chasing poles.

Looking at the stats it looks like this,

Average qualifying position
HAM - 2.66
ROS - 3.16

Team mate comparison (average) Up to Spain so with Nico´s Monaco gap of 0.091 to Hamilton the number below should be a tiny bit smaller.

HAM -0.189s

I didn't mean to say that I think Rosberg is better than Hamilton - I don't. But I do think Rosberg is better at getting those extremely impressive, peak results. Hamilton on the other hand is better on average, he always gets a good result in quali, even if the car is not the best. So perhaps it would be more appropriate to say that Rosberg has the most potential in regard to being the fastest driver on the grid, but Hamilton uses his more often.

Has anyone seen this?
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107671

No matter if it was leagl, but imo that's an absolute joke :confused:

wow..
I did not expect something like that!

Will be interesting to see what happens and how they even could do the test with FIA knowing about it.

Here´s a snippet from another article if you have used up all your views in Autosport.

Mercedes are at the centre of a technical row in Formula 1 after doing a three-day tyre test between the Spanish and Monaco grands prix.
In-season testing in F1 is forbidden and Red Bull and Ferrari are considering a protest against Mercedes.
Sources say governing body the FIA knew about the test, with contracts outside the rules allowing it to happen.
But rival teams are angry because extra running on tyres could potentially give Mercedes a technical advantage.
Mercedes, whose two drivers Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton will start from the front row for Sunday's Monaco Grand Prix, have been struggling with heavy tyre usage this season.
The tyres used at the test were development designs for next season, as well as a new tyre Pirelli wants to introduce at next month's Canadian Grand Prix.
Pirelli is aiming to introduce rear tyres that are less vulnerable to delamination following a series of failures.
But the plan is in dispute, with Ferrari, Lotus and Force India yet to approve it.

Some more info.

here is a storm in a teacup in Monaco this morning over a tyre test that took place in Barcelona after the Spanish GP, involving Mercedes. The team ran both Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton and 1,000km were run as Pirelli tired to do some development work. The team was not aware of what tyres were being used. I understand that Mercedes checked with the FIA before agreeing to the test, and was given the go-ahead as Pirelli’s deal allows for testing but the tyre company does not currently have a suitable chassis and so is allowed to ask teams to help. It is believed that there was a similar test with Ferrari after Bahrain. There will be other tests as well with other teams as the season progresses but it seems that Red Bull is making a fuss because it was not doing the testing…
It is very clear that Pirelli needs to do development work both for 2013 and 2014 tyres but it does not have a car to use that is sufficiently up-to-date to be useful. The only answer therefore is to use the teams because they cannot ever agree to allow Pirelli to use one chassis or another.
Thus it seems there is less of a story than the gabbling in the paddock suggests.

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2013/05/26/a-bit-of-a-kerfuffle-over-tyre-testing/

Lauda say the teams already knew about it.
Testing the new tire for this year and the one for next year i think.

I think the thing was that Pirelli wanted to test their tires, they choose the team which had the most problems, Mercedes then asked FIA who said ok and now other teams that wasn´t picked for this test is a bit angry.

I don´t think it´s 100% illegal because i doubt FIA would give the go ahead then.

Q&A with Paul.

Q: Can you clarify what the situation is?
“We have an agreement with the FIA that states we can do 1000kms tyre testing. It’s something that we had back in the World Rally Championship as well. Last year we wrote to the teams saying this and inviting teams to say yes or no, whether they were willing to do it. Some teams said yes, and some didn’t reply.”

Q: Why was Mercedes involved in the testing?
“Because they were one of the teams that said they would do it. It’s really that. We were in discussions to do some other testing with another team in the future.”

Q: Who was that?
“It’s our business really.”

Q: Why were the other teams not informed it was going on?
“The issue you’ve got is it’s our testing, it’s our work, and what you see is the more discussion you have, the less you manage to achieve. If you start talking about it you end up six months later actually doing it.”

Q: To allow a team to test with a current car and not tell the others was bound to cause some resentment.
“That was not our situation. We asked for a representative car.”

Q: Under the filming days agreement for example other teams are invited to come and observe and so on, and they tell each other what they are doing. You must have realised that when this would came out they would be upset.
“No, because it’s completely irrelevant, it’s not relevant to what’s happening here, what’s going to happen this season. It’s looking at all sorts of solutions that may have relevance in the next 10 years, I don’t know.”

Q: But it did involve the Canadian GP tyres?
“It involved all sorts of tyres.”

Q: But it did involve tyre that you might be running in Canada?
“It involved all sorts of tyres… Let’s turn it round the other way. What do you expect us to do? The rules are very clear, it’s existed in the FIA contracts for years, and we just used it. We’ve got nothing else to add.”

Q: The fact that you did it with a team that’s made very public its issues with tyres, even if a lot of the running wasn’t with tyres that will be used this year, it’s still them running with this year’s car, with Pirelli, getting data. As Christian Horner said it hasn’t hurt Mercedes, has it?
“They [rivals] have no idea what they tested.”

Q: Won’t the fact that you didn’t tell people and even the team’s own dedicate Pirelli engineers didn’t tell them ‘we were in Barcelona last week with Mercedes’ lead to trust issues?
“We go into laboratories, we do a lot of work. We’re doing our job. They don’t tell us what they’re doing. Every team will have the same opportunity at the same time when we introduce something, and that’s it.”

Q: Did you ask anyone else to do that test, or was it just Mercedes?
“We invited all the teams to do 1000kms testing, some replied, some didn’t.”

Q: But that was last year?
“Some replied, some didn’t…”

Q: But for this specific test…
“We don’t need to. Some replied and some didn’t…”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling