2011 World Touring Car Championship

• Nippon2

Amazing to see how Yvan Muller is making a comeback in the second half of the season. Huff never saw this coming I think.

• Nippon2

He is a stunning driver for sure, but I simply can not cheer for a Chevrolet Cruze :)

I think Dahlgren will be the surprise of the last part of the year. He is getting faster and faster in his Volvo and keep in mind that he hasn't run on 90% of the tracks ever before. He is my candidate for the title in 2012 (or Tarquini when he joins the WTCC as well with a Volvo)

WTCC 2012 CALENDAR

March 11, 2012Autodromo di MonzaItaly
April 1, 2012Circuit Ricardo TormoSpain
April 15, 2012 Donington ParkEngland
April 29, 2012t.b.aGermany
May 6, 2012HungaroringHungary
May 20, 2012MarrakechMarocco
June 10, 2012Circuito de BoavistaPortugal
July 22, 2012Autodromo Int de CuritibaBrazil
September 23, 2012Infineon RacewayUnited States
October 21, 2012Suzuka Japan
November 4, 2012Shanghai International CircuitChina
November 18, 2012Circuit da GuiaMacau

What do you think about this line up of tracks?

That schedule is a bit outdated. The German round has been replaced by the Salzburgring, and Shangai has been replaced by some obscure chinese track.

Not that bad really. Can't bear Curitibia(shame they never made it to Interlagos), Valencia is a bit meh but provides decent racing. Shame they don't use the whole track at Suzuka, the East track might not provide good racing. Never heard about the Chinese track, but I heard it's quite a joke. But apart from that, the whole thing is pretty much decent IMO.

The championship continues this weekend. On Saturday the qualifications are held very early in the morning 06:30 GMT (Live on Eurosport 2 I think). Sunday the two races start at 05:35 GMT and 06:50 GMT.

Bloody shame they are racing on the short version of Suzuka, but you can't have it all :)

Alain Menu and Tom Coronel claimed wins for Chevrolet and BMW today at the Suzuka Circuit in Japan. For the Dutchman it was his second WTCC victory after his heroic win in the rain at Okayama in 2008.

At first, most of their main contenders - Robert Dahlgren, Tom Coronel, Gabriele Tarquini and Tiago Monteiro – were eliminated in two different incidents at the start. Later, Yvan Muller lost the lead and eventually dropped to fourth because of a wrong set up choice. This made things easier for Menu (who pocketed his fourth victory of the season), Huff (who reduced the gap in the standings to ten points), and Nykjær (who claimed his first WTCC podium besides winning the Yokohama Trophy).

wtcc1.jpgwtcc2.jpgwtcc3.jpgwtcc4.jpg

Finally Tom Coronel came back to the WTCC winning circle, claiming his first WTCC victory in the ROAL Motorsport BMW. The second one for him in the World Championship.

Chevrolet drivers focused on the championship and did not take the risk to try hazardous overtaking maneuvers; Yvan Muller, Rob Huff and Alain Menu filled the positions from second to fourth, while Robert Dahlgren’s hopes were frustrated once again with a fifth place that could have been a podium without a misfiring problem.

Michel Nykjær encored in the Yokohama Trophy after a race-long close fight with Colin Turkington and Javier Villa. For the whole 23 laps the Dane was able not to open the least of a gap.

A video summary of both races will follow this week so stay tuned for more. In the meantime leave your comments below or head over to our motorsport forum for more WTCC discussions.

Update: added highlights video of both races

Great video! I'm very happy to see Tom win, very unlucky first turn at the first race. A nice present for his son ;) By the way Huff-Muller title battle will be really interesting! Can't wait to see.

WTCC is a shambles, have to laugh at the people that wasted their time getting up early this morning to watch it on eurosport. Get rid of the rolling starts and i think all sunred drivers need banning cos they're all as dirty and dangerous as each other.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.