2009 IndyCar Series

Iowa qualifying called off

20 June 2009

The qualifying session for Sunday's race in Iowa has been cancelled due to freak track conditions. After the area experiencing heavy rainfall over Friday night, water began resurfacing from the track which resulted in the complete cancellation of Saturday's qualifying session. As a consequence, the field will begin Sunday's race in order of owner points, ensuring the battle between the top drivers continues.

After Friday's poor weather delaying the start of qualifying by one and a quarter hours, the session did eventually get underway with EJ Viso, Hideki Mutoh and reigning Champion Scott Dixon venturing out. With the water continuing to surface, however, the resultant moisture on the track forcing officials to throw the red flags.

As organisers hurry to ensure the problem is put to a permanent stop, a lack of track time on Saturday could result in a dramatic afternoon of racing on Sunday. Castroneves will lead away from Ryan Briscoe and Scott Dixon with Britain's Dario Franchitti in fourth place.

"Those points definitely kept me in the front of the pits and now gave me the pole position at Iowa," said Castroneves after inheriting the top spot. "Unfortunately for the fans, they didn't get to see the excitement of qualifying. Fortunately, I ended up getting a great situation here with a good starting position. Now that we have a Team Penske front row, we'll go for the win."
GP Update
Hans

IndyCar 2009 - Round 8: Richmond

Dixon wins at Richmond

Richmond-podium20.jpg

28 June 2009

Scott Dixon has won Saturday's race at the Richmond International Raceway by just 0.3109 of a second over his Target Chip Ganassi Racing teammate Dario Franchitti. Graham Rahal enjoyed his best oval finish by finsihing third.

t was Scott Dixon's third win of the season and his second at Richmond. Dixon also equalled Hornish record of 19 race wins.

Hideki Mutoh led the first laps of his IndyCar Series career and finished fourth in the end, just ahead of his team-mate Danica Patrick.

Race Results:
1 S. Dixon Target Chip Ganassi Racing 1:48:02.470
2 D. Franchitti Target Chip Ganassi Racing + 0.310
3 G. Rahal Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing + 2.408
4 H. Mutoh Andretti Green Racing + 13.530
5 D. Patrick Andretti Green Racing + 14.111
6 T. Kanaan Andretti Green Racing + 1 ronde(n)
7 M. Andretti Andretti Green Racing + 1 ronde(n)
8 R. Matos Luczo Dragon Racing + 1 ronde(n)
9 R. Doornbos Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing + 1 ronde(n)
10 D. Wheldon Panther Racing + 1 ronde(n)
11 T. Scheckter Dreyer & Reinbold Racing + 1 ronde(n)
12 E.J. Viso HVM Racing + 1 ronde(n)
13 E. Carpenter Vision Racing + 1 ronde(n)
14 J. Wilson Dale Coyne Racing + 2 ronde(n)
15 R. Hunter-Reay A.J. Foyt Racing + 2 ronde(n)
16 M. Moraes KV Racing + 2 ronde(n)
Not finished :
17 H. Castroneves Team Penske + 55 ronde(n)
18 M. Conway Dreyer & Reinbold Racing + 165 ronde(n)
19 R. Briscoe Team Penske + 274 ronde(n)
20 J. Lazier Team 3G + 300 ronde(n
GP Update

Hans

And what a combo it is so far!! What an amazing cool race at Watkins. 13 laps to go until the finish and the top 6 is extremely close at the moment.

update:
Justin Wilson is the man!! What a great victory, wow. Dissappointing result for Bobby D. I really hoped he would be in front of the field on the roadcourses.

Better luck next time in the streets of Toronto!

• Wido Rossen

IndyCar 2009 - Round 10: Honda Indy Toronto

Racing in the streets of Toronto on July the 12th.

Toronto_Track_Map.jpg

footer-1.jpg

Vast storm causes chaos in Toronto

Toronto-rain93.jpg
An immense storm has caused pandemonium and a delay to the third and final practice session in Toronto. As forecast on Friday, the bad weather set in but hit the track with its worst just as the session started, forcing cars to return to the pits immediately.

With very heavy rain accompanied by gusty winds, thunder and spectacular lightning strikes, the practice session was delayed and could be cancelled in the event of the bad weather not easing off, although it is believed that that it abate.

Event organisers also called for the evacuation of the metal grandstands around the circuit, with alterations to be made to the restarted session later which will allow all drivers to take part in order to adapt more to the wet conditions.
Toronto-Franchitti52.jpg
Starting Grid:
1 D. Franchitti Target Chip Ganassi Racing 1:01.024
2 W. Power Team Penske 1:01.285
3 G. Rahal Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing 1:01.330
4 J. Wilson Dale Coyne Racing 1:01.515
5 A. Tagliani Conquest Racing 1:01.698
6 M. Conway Dreyer & Reinbold Racing 1:02.009
7 R. Doornbos Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing 1:01.441
8 S. Dixon Target Chip Ganassi Racing 1:01.471
9 R. Matos Luczo Dragon Racing 1:01.534
10 H. Castroneves Team Penske 1:01.795
11 R. Briscoe Team Penske 1:01.857
12 R. Hunter-Reay A.J. Foyt Racing 1:01.968
13 M. Moraes KV Racing 1:01.970
14 T. Scheckter Dreyer & Reinbold Racing 1:01.868
15 P. Tracy KV Racing 1:01.973
16 E.J. Viso HVM Racing 1:02.157
17 M. Andretti Andretti Green Racing 1:02.213
18 D. Patrick Andretti Green Racing 1:02.583
19 E. Carpenter Vision Racing 1:02.590
20 T. Kanaan Andretti Green Racing 1:02.655
21 D. Wheldon Panther Racing 1:02.841
22 H. Mutoh Andretti Green Racing 1:03.041
23 R. Antinucci Team 3G 1:04.513
GP Update

Franchitti takes win in crazy Toronto race

12 July 2009
podium-87.jpg
Dario Franchitti has won the tenth round of the championship in Toronto to bring the curtain down on what has been a dramatic weekend in the first of two Canadian meetings on the calendar. Having started from pole position, the Scot's Target Chip Ganassi car took the chequered flag from Ryan Briscoe and Will Power.

Out of the 23 starters, only 15 cars made it to the finish in Toronto in a race anticipated as dramatic after chaos hit the venue on Saturday due to a huge storm. With the grid shaken up as a result of a wet track, a more usual result was seen on Sunday with Franchitti leading home two Penskes of Briscoe and returnee Will Power. Reigning Champion Scott Dixon recovered to fourth place but has now lost the championship lead to Franchitti, who has a two-point advantage.

It could have been a good day for Briton Mike Conway, although the Dreyer & Reinbold car ended its day in the wall immediately after being overtaken by local man Paul Tracy, ruining chances for a podium finish. Dutch newcomer Robert Doornbos was the first retirement, however, also ending a strong race from fourth position as a result of gearbox failure on the NHL car. There were to be six more retirements in this incredible race, though, the next being Richard Antinucci after contact with Dan Wheldon.

Back to the start of the race, and drama occurred before the cars were even racing on a weekend where seemingly anything was capable of happening; a touch between Graham Rahal's Newman/Haas/Lanigan and Will Power's Penske resulted in a broken wing for the former and puncture for the latter as Briscoe's Penske also picked up a puncture with the rest of the field bearing down on the incident. Incredibly, no further carnage took place as the rest of the pack got away safely.

There was an emotional moment for the Canadian crowds as compatriots Alex Tagliani and Paul Tracy led the race for their respective Conquest and KV Racing teams, although a collision between the latter and Helio Castroneves' Penske saw both retire in the battle for second place. Tagliani remained in the lead although a caution period which played into Franchitti's hands did the opposite for Alex, who eventually finished in ninth spot.

Unbelievably, more chaos was still to follow as Tony Kanaan went out of the race for Andretti Green with damaged suspension. Mario Moraes then came together with EJ Viso before Moraes' car was collected by Tagliani and Scheckter's in another collision at Turn 3, with the South African out on the spot having led for a short time.

The magic yellow for Franchitti, and overhauling of Tagliani, came as a result of a collision between Rahal and Ed Carpenter; Dario still had to pass Castroneves at this point, however, which he duly did with the Brazilian running wide and being challenged by Tracy; contact was inevitable and put both men out at Turn 4.

Amazingly, amid the pandemonium, Briscoe and Power's Penskes climbed back up to the podium behind Franchitti as Scott Dixon finished fourth in what would appear, without knowledge of the race, as a rather usual result. Justin Wilson, who won for Dale Coyne at Watkins Glen last weekend, rounded out the top five ahead of Danica Patrick.

After a truly bizarre weekend which became more a quest for survival, the next IndyCar event also takes place in Canada as the championship arrives at Edmonton in a fortnight's time.
GP Update

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/videos/franchitti-wins-after-dramatic-toronto-encounter_150/
With Dutch Comment.
Hans

Race result Toronto :
1 D. Franchitti Target Chip Ganassi Racing 1:43:47.140
2 R. Briscoe Team Penske + 1.674
3 W. Power Team Penske + 2.135
4 S. Dixon Target Chip Ganassi Racing + 2.480
5 J. Wilson Dale Coyne Racing + 2.923
6 D. Patrick Andretti Green Racing + 6.409
7 R. Hunter-Reay A.J. Foyt Racing + 7.183
8 M. Andretti Andretti Green Racing + 8.255
9 A. Tagliani Conquest Racing + 13.474
10 R. Matos Luczo Dragon Racing + 16.098
11 M. Moraes KV Racing + 19.014
12 H. Mutoh Andretti Green Racing + 1 laps
13 E.J. Viso HVM Racing + 1 laps
14 D. Wheldon Panther Racing + 1 laps
15 E. Carpenter Vision Racing + 3 laps
Did not finish
16 T. Scheckter Dreyer & Reinbold Racing + 11 laps
17 T. Kanaan Andretti Green Racing + 15 laps
18 H. Castroneves Team Penske + 20 laps
19 P. Tracy KV Racing + 20 laps
20 G. Rahal Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing + 28 laps
21 R. Antinucci Team 3G + 44 laps
22 M. Conway Dreyer & Reinbold Racing + 53 laps
23 R. Doornbos Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing + 59 laps
GP Update

WTF did Castroneves do there to slam Tracy to the wall? I saw it three times but I still don't understand.

Scheckter got majorly screwed. These guys were driving too much like touring car drivers for a street circuit.

The ABC coverage was dismal.

(why is this thread a sticky btw?)

Robert Doornbos says he can't sit for a long time

One of an occasional glimpses of IndyCar Series drivers' interests/hobbies/passions away from the racetrack.

tennis-inside-07142009.jpg

Robert Doornbos says he can't sit for a long time, which is interesting given the amount of seat time he puts in with the No. 06 Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing car. It's that the 27-year-old native of Rotterdam, The Netherlands, is a treadmill of mental and physical activity.

"I've been to Wimbledon a couple of times and was at the (2008) finals with (Rafael) Nadal and (Roger) Federer," he said. "Normally I can't sit a long time in the seat and that night I had to sit five hours. It was worth it."

Tennis has been a part of his athletic and social fabric since an early age. Though he gave up competitive tennis after attending the 1998 Belgian Grand Prix and developed an interest in pursuing motorsports, Doornbos has transferred valuable lessons from the sport to his occupation.

"The big thing was at a young age I played tennis at a high level so there was a lot of discipline required -- after school straight away to meet the trainer five days a week and the weekend competitions -- so I think what it taught me was the discipline," he said. "If you want to be good at your sport, if you want to be a good athlete, you have to be disciplined.

"If you want to reach the top, you have to work very hard. I was quite young and never had the idea of earning money with (tennis). It's like with Formula 1. When I started racing, I was watching F1 with my dad on TV and it looked like they were a bunch of actors. Alain Prost, (Nigel) Mansell, (Ayrton) Senna just racing each other never imagining I could reach it because nobody really figured out a path to get to that level. That was the same with tennis. Nobody told me if you win the Dutch championships you can get a wild-card to Wimbledon or something. I never thought about that.

"I never thought about becoming a pro and to be honest I don't think I was at the level of Nadal. Even at a very young age they were really strong on the European tour. The competitive edge to fight for it I had more in racing than tennis. I had this goal of Formula 1 and now IndyCar and I worked toward that goal."

Tennis, which can be played at varying levels at almost any age, provides a good workout "if you can do it with someone who can hit the balls well," according to Doornbos.

"When I started to be fit to be a race car driver, it's a whole different way of getting fit," he said. "You're using different muscles than playing tennis. I took that very serious as now I take my fitness very serious.

"I think it's a great sport but motor racing is No. 1 and I don't have a lot of time for it. I actually started playing a bit of golf in the States, which is also ball control but goes a bit slower. The best part is to go from hole 1 to 2 with the golf cart and try to get it onto two wheels.....
Indy.com
Hans

IndyCar 2009: Round 11: Edmonton

Power fastest again in final practice,

Edmonton-map-71.gif

25 July 2009 / Results

Will Power's Penske shot to the top of the timesheets again in the third and final practice session at Edmonton on Saturday. The Australian lapped the Canadian circuit quickest from local man Paul Tracy as the second and third Penske cars completed the top four.

The trio of Penskes again achieved top four positions for the second Canadian race of the season as Helio Castroneves, who was fastest in the second session, finished third in this ahead of Ryan Briscoe. Tracy, ironically a former driver for Penske himself, delighted Canadian fans with second although a high-speed spin left mouths wide open in the grandstands.

Mario Moraes was sixth in the second KV Racing car with the two Newman/Hass/Lanigan machines next, courtesy of Rahal and Doornbos; Rahal's afternoon was also one of mixed results, though, after losing control and hitting a barrier which took the rear wing off.

Raphael Matos and leading British driver Mike Conway rounded out the top ten, although the latter also had a spin during the hour-long session. E.J. Viso's start to the day ended early when the HVM car went off on only his third tour.

Qualifying at Edmonton will get underway later on Saturday to decide the grid ahead of Sunday's race.

Edmonton-W.Power-26.jpg
Starting Grid:

1 W. Power Team Penske 1:01.013
2 R. Briscoe Team Penske 1:01.123
3 H. Castroneves Team Penske 1:01.203
4 S. Dixon Target Chip Ganassi Racing 1:01.204
5 G. Rahal Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing 1:01.695
6 D. Franchitti Target Chip Ganassi Racing 1:01.934
7 M. Moraes KV Racing 1:01.533
8 R. Matos Luczo Dragon Racing 1:01.568
9 P. Tracy KV Racing 1:01.676
10 R. Doornbos Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing 1:01.684