2009 British Touring Car Championship

Poor driving by Matt Neal - Turk's car looks like it was crabbing in a straight line most the race after that contact.

Vauxhall deserved to lose, Matt Neal acting like a t*t was the reason why both the Airwaves cars went off, thank god that WSR car kept going - I was expecting the wheels to come off.

Colin's a deserving champion, hope him and WSR are back next year, sad way for Vauxhall to be remembered in their last race as a manufacturer for now...

I'm so happy Giovanardi got what he deserved because of that Vauxhall's dirty tactic. :beer:

Great racing by Turkington. It had to be terrible feeling when he was in the middle of Vauxhalls another trying to slow down as much as possible and another trying to overtake. Somehow he managed to make a move and then finish the race 2nd with a car which draw 4 tire tracks on road.

Congrats Colin!

Neal wasn't really to blame for the contact with Turkington, looks more like he got pushed wide by Turkington. I think the tactic from Neal to keep the pace low was a good one, I don't see any problems with it as long as they don't take each other out :)

Yes, Turkington was forced to do that. It was the only way to save his own ass. Neal should know it happens in touring cars if he trys to block rest of the field. :)

That low pace also cost much for Team Airwaves. They may not be very happy.

Can't remember as exciting race as this was. Really worth of watching if someone missed it.

• Wido Rossen

Turkington is 2009 BTCC Champion

Northern Ireland’s Colin Turkington is tonight celebrating becoming the 2009 HiQ MSA British Touring Car Champion following a nail-biting final race of the season on the world-famous Brands Hatch Grand Prix circuit today.

Three drivers – Turkington, Fabrizio Giovanardi and Jason Plato – all went into the race with a chance of lifting the title. But second place for Team RAC BMW driver Turkington behind Plato was sufficient for the 27-year-old from Portadown to clinch the first BTCC Drivers’ crown of his career. Plato’s win, incidentally, means he becomes only the second driver in history to win all three races in a day – the result means he has beaten Giovanardi to second in the final Drivers’ standings.

Watching Turkington win his title were four generations of his family, including grand father Harry and baby son Lewis. In beating former title-winners Giovanardi and Plato, Turkington’s name is now etched on to the coveted BTCC Champion’s trophy – one of world motor sport’s most prized pieces of silverware – alongside those of other great past champions such as Jack Sears, Jim Clark, Andy Rouse, John Cleland and Alain Menu.

“It’s everything I’ve worked for,” an elated Turkington told btcc.net,” but I couldn’t relax at all. The pressure coming into the day was already immense. Then after the first two races the emotion inside me was something else – I knew I was close but that it could still be taken away from me. After leading the season for so long I don’t think I could have taken that.

“It was the race of my life. I had to get past Matt (Neal, Giovanardi’s team-mate) because he was holding me up, backing me into Fabrizio and if he’d got past me I knew it would be over. So I went for it and got the lead. Jason then got us all with a great move, but so long as I was where I was I knew I was in the right place. I concentrated on driving the best two laps of my life at the end and then, when my team confirmed it over the radio, I just burst into tears. To have my family and so many more supporters come over from Ulster to be here makes it so special.”

Racing Silverline Chevrolet driver Plato, who won the BTCC title in 2001, said: “Colin has driven fantastically well. He did everything right today in keeping his nose clean and attacking at the right moments. All I could do was try and win races and then hope something might happen behind, but you simply can’t take anything away from Colin – he is a truly worthy Champion.”

Vauxhall’s outgoing champion Giovanardi, who won the 2007 and 2008 titles, added: “I have no hard feelings. It was just great to be in such an exciting fight to finish and even though it did not come my way this time I still really enjoyed that last race because at least I went down fighting. But Colin really deserves to be the Champion.”

Elsewhere, Vauxhall’s 20-year participation in the BTCC has drawn to an end and although the Drivers’ title has eluded it, the British make and its VX Racing team still leave with the much-prized Manufacturers/Constructors trophy. VXR has also achieved the outright Teams’ title. Meanwhile, Turkington and Team RAC have won third consecutive Independent Drivers’ and Teams’ crowns respectively.

( source BTCC.net )

was there, it was probably the best days racing the BTCC has had in a long time, Turkington might be champion and well deserved aswell but driver of the day for me was Tom Chilton and driver of the season has to go to Jason Plato, he was absolutely immense today, winning all 3 races in 1 day

to be honest its common sense not to go to a racing website when you don't want to know a result.... but hey...

Big congrats to Turks. He done what he needed to do. I've never been so much on the edge of my seat during a race meet... in fact on race 3 i spent most of it standing. :)

hope next season is as good!

I like how team tactics are allowed in this with little or no issue. Neal controlled the pace as much as was able and turks done the right thing to give the bumper a wee kiss.

As dissappointed as I was to not see Fab get a 3rd title I'm very pleased for Turks and WSR. Plato - never been his biggest fans but what about his eyes during the races? focussed and the best I've seen him drive. loved it!

And Chilton - where did that focus come from? Great drive by the lad - pleased for him - he fully deserved his results - if not a win in race 1...

So I have to stay away from here for a couple of days until I get chance to watch it? Not sensible.....

I stayed away from Autosport and TCT, I shouldn;t have thought I would get spoiled here

• Andrew Evans

i thought we agreed that race spoilers shouldn't go in thread titles after a bunch of f1 races were busted for the americanadians....

personally though, i wouldn't even consider coming near a gaggle of excitable petrolheads if i had a race i didn't want to know the result of....

edit: yeah, i've seen that elsewhere rob... :nod:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea