F1 2011 13 Steps you can take to make the game enjoyable

F1 2011 The Game (Codemasters)
I can understand why people are disappointed with the game (many bugs) and yes even call it unplayable. However after 14 100% career races I have complied a list of tweaks and workarounds which to me solve most of the issues and make it a realistic and enjoyable experience. Hopefully some of these you can try to improve your game as well: Note I am a PC user but some of these apply to all platforms

1. Turn off Vsync: game randomly crashes with it on.
2. Set shadows to High instead of Ultra, this increased my fps from 35 to 55 with no noticeable visual loss.
3. The default cockpit FOV is horrible especially for triple screen, edit the car .xml files to set it lower (30 instead of 48), also I reduced the head shaking effects in this same file.
4. Again for triple screen (eyefinity) intially the OSD/HUD/minimap was stretched to the side monitors- change your resolution to something that is divisible by 3, eg 6060, and the hud becomes centered on the middle screen.
5. There is a bug which disables the slipstream effect if you are using a wheel/pedals. The fix (strange that it is) is to set a deadzone in your brake pedal to 2% or more- viola slipstream now working
6. The default damage is a joke, this is F1 not dodgem cars- install a damage mod or edit the loose_parts.xml file yourself (I suggest values of 1.5) to make your and AI cars more fragile. Changes the game completely for the better and you will also see more AI incidents and more chance of Safety Car and AI retirements
7. Qualify Bug- DO NOT ACCELERATE TIME in Practice or Qualifying otherwise the AI will set slow lap times, play the whole session in realtime to get realistic AI times
8. WET WEATHER BUG!- This was almost a game breaker for me, the AI being way too fast in the wet compared to yourself. The solution- In a wet race you MUST setup your car for wet conditions! Set your wings high (like 10/10), add one click of stiffer springs, adjust gearing. You will now have a competitive car in the wet. I just did a 100% legend AI, no assists race at Monza in the wet- in previous wet races with my default setup the AI were at least 4-5 seconds per lap faster than me in the wet. With a wet setup I had the perfect race at Monza, qualified 9th in the dry and finished 9th in the wet, perfect pace with the AI.
9. On the first lap of a race don't play like a kamakaze and overtake 10 cars in the st corner, it's unrealistic and spoils your experience (with the damage mod on you won't want to anyway). Instead try and be realistic and hold your position or maybe pickup a place or two only.
10. 11/11 BUG! Use this as a difficulty slider! We all know AI are slower/faster at some tracks compared to others. I test my pace in practice and Qualify for each track and adjust the springs slider to make my car faster/slower to match AI to where I think my car should be, ie, close to your team mates pace. With this you can normalise your pace compared to AI for each track and have a far more enjoyable game.
11. Backup your saves- although I have yet to have corrupt saves I backup my save after each race just in case.
12. Tyre bug- there is a bug if during your tyre strategy you have the same type of tyre selected 3 times in a row for your pitstops, eg prime, prime, prime- the 3rd tyre the crew put on will be already worn and useless- the workaround is simply to change the strategy to something like prime, option, prime or any combo where you don't have 3 of the same type in a row.
13. Run at least 50% races, or better yet 100%- Not only will strategy play a bigger role but you get more satisfaction and become a better and more consistent driver.

Now following these 13 rules/tweaks the game is fun for me however there still remains the following bugs which annoy me:
1. AI overtaking- often can't/wont overtake on the straight even when they get a massive run on you.
2. Related to 1- AI hopeless in heavy braking zones- you can easily outbrake/overtake AI from 10 car lengths back and likewise they will never outbrake you to make an overtake- they simply brake far too early fro heavy braking corners.
3. AI DNF's, Real life you on average see 4-5 DNF's per race, in the game 90% of the time there is not a single DNF, is there mechanical failures? This is not realistic.

Great article with great tips Plucka.

...or just buy an Xbox 360. Thats why I dont play PC games any longer cos of all this, also I was forever updating my graphics card and adding more RAM. 360 sorts all of this out.

LOL Fail, this is exaclty why I DON"T have a console. You are stuck with any bugs that arnt offically patched, with PC stuff can be modified for improvements.

The Xbox/PS3 version just doesn't measure up to the PC version, so Fail +1 :)

done that slipstream tweak, it now works a treat. only thing about it is the shaking of the screen, to me it a bit excessive and looks like the same effect as stuttering. anyone know how to reduce this?

Nice post Plucka.. i'm on the Xbox so not many apply to me but all useful information. Re the slipstreaming effect I already had my brakes set with a 2% deadzone and although I see the juddering effect if I look back whilst following someone I don't realy see it in front view.

On the whole Xbox vs PC issue... if I am honest I would prefer to have the game on PC.. always had all my driving sims on PC over the years and the mods and greater selection of wheels available make it the better option but I just do not have the funds for a new PC to enable me to run the game nowadays and the old one is not up to the job any longer. The Xbox does a great job for me and many others. There are no issues with getting the game to run, no tweaks or parameters that need altering and it gives me an out of the box performance that I am very happy with.

You should brush up on your F1 knowledge. Teams are allowed to make changes in parc ferme if there is a change in climatic conditions, eg, dry qual, wet race.

That's what I get for watching F1 on SPEED...

EDIT: Acutally, after looking into it, I was right about changing setup:

"if the FIA technical delegate is satisfied that changes in climatic conditions necessitate alterations to the specification of a car, changes may be made to the air ducts around the front and rear brakes and radiator ducts. These changes may be made at any time after the message “CHANGE IN CLIMATIC CONDITIONS” is shown on the timing monitors, from this point the choice of air ducts around the front and rear brakes and radiator ducts is free and pitot tubes may be covered or uncovered, subject always to compliance with the relevant Technical Regulations."

http://www.formula1.com/inside_f1/rules_and_regulations/sporting_regulations/8685/fia.html

Looks like adjusting wings and spring stiffness ISN'T allowed.http://www.formula1.com/inside_f1/rules_and_regulations/sporting_regulations/8685/fia.html

One parameter, from your own first post you suggest (in addition to running high wings - front AND rear) that we "add one click of stiffer springs, adjust gearing." If you can get the same affect by changing the front wing alone I'm really curious to hear how that works.

At the end of the day who cares, what's more important- follow the real life rules to the letter and having no chance in the wet, or adjusting your setup to be competitive. I doubt the game follows every single FIA regulation to the letter so if you force yourself to then you only gimp yourself and get frustrated.

At the end of the day who cares, what's more important- follow the real life rules to the letter and having no chance in the wet, or adjusting your setup to be competitive. I doubt the game follows every single FIA regulation to the letter so if you force yourself to then you only gimp yourself and get frustrated.

Well that's kinda personal.

I get frustated being able to win at Monaco with a williams.

I follow the FIA rules in Game, even if it's not enforced by it, example: I won't change the setup of my car between qualy and race unless it's wet qualy and a dry race or the other way around, and even tho I only change what FIA allows you to in real life, also I try not to do any corner cutting in corners that you get no warning for doing so, and when I do (by my own mistake) and overtake an AI car I give the AI the position back even if the game doesn't tell you to do so.

I don't use the 11/11 springs, I don't use 1/11 Arbs neither, for me it's like cheating.
I don't use 1/1 height if I see too much sparks coming from the bottom of the car (even if it's bugged and has no negative effect on the car) I'd rather use a proper height with minimal to no sparks.

I won't dive bomb my way to 8th place at the start coming from a 16/17th place

And as for the rain, just setup your car properly and practice, practice and practice and You'll eventually match and even pass the AI pace.

I just enjoy the game more this way.

You know, if you had just said this from the beginning instead of taking that condescending "Brush up on your knowledge" attitude, I would have just agreed that some bending of the rules might be necessary to get around the game's shortcomings. Especially if the AI isn't following the same rules.

Something to consider for the future.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back