Season 6 Race 2 Nurburgring - Setup thread

Hy Folks,

this morning I couldn't resist of trying Marks setup. Until now I was able to drive 1:26:6xx with a reworked setup from Thony.

Now with making changes to Marks setup I'm able to drive low 1:26's. Thank you very much Mark!
I don't remember every changes. Made some things softer but made rear spring a bit harder. Reduced engine brake from 4 to 3, and so on... Just have a look if you are curious :)

I also attached the lap, because yesterday I was asked on the server if I (or quick drivers in general) cut the chicane. So I just want to show how I drive this chicane i general. :)

Attachments

• Mark-Reik-Nurburg-F1 ab.svm
    2.5 KB · Views: 220
  • Reik-FPES-Nurburgring-1-26-252.Vcr
    117.7 KB · Views: 284
Hy Folks,

this morning I couldn't resist of trying Marks setup. Until now I was able to drive 1:26:6xx with a reworked setup from Thony.

Now with making changes to Marks setup I'm able to drive low 1:26's. Thank you very much Mark!
I don't remember every changes. Made some things softer but made rear spring a bit harder. Reduced engine brake from 4 to 3, and so on... Just have a look if you are curious :)

I also attached the lap, because yesterday I was asked on the server if I (or quick drivers in general) cut the chicane. So I just want to show how I drive this chicane i general. :)

It is a very good setup, thx Reik and thx for Mark, i did try the setup for some laps and could feel it is very stable but i could not improve my lap time as i already got used to my setup so i decided to save it for another similar track :), however i did a new PB with my setup when i watched your replay on how to drive the chicane :good:.

- when i first start doing the setup for nurbergring i quickly noticed that this track requires a stiffer rear to have a stable rear under braking and on the entry of fast turns plus it needed more rear wings for better exit , therefore i stiffened the rear antiroll bar to max and by doing that the rear springs needed to be softened a bit "104" and the rear wings needed to be increased a bit and i quickly was able to do 128xx...

now when i checked Reik latest setup i could see that he has moved the stiffness from the rear antiroll bar to the rear springs ," lower antiroll bar - stiffer springs "- and by doing that he was able to reduce the rear wings a bit as he gained a bit more grip by lowering the rear antiroll bar , it is actually a better idea than mine even though both provide the same mechanical concept to have a stiff rear , stiffer springs would provide a softener and linear mechanical grip than a stiff antiroll bar with softer springs , of course finetuning the camber , caster etc would affect the overall balance as well.. .

if you watch the replay of Reik lap you might think that his car somehow is "oversteering " especially under braking and that he is fighting the car to get it right throughout the lap but the truth is that it is exactly what Reik expected the car to behave when he did setup the car, it is the overall effect of the setup and the stiff rear that make the rear of the car somehow " slide " a bit to make the front more "pointy" so to help the car turn-in faster with perfect balance and that is exactly what I normally try to achieve every time I work on a setup, so well-done Reik :).

What I want to say is that thanks to the idea of sharing setups in the forum, every time i see a new setup i try to learn something new, it does not matter who posts the setup as there is always something new for each track..

So thanks to all..

Cheers

Very nice analysis Thony! :) You described it very well. It's true that I don't really need to "fight against" the car. It's more that I like this behavior a car. Of course at the limit it looks like a fight, but if you over do and slide too much, you loose more than you win...

btw, I also like to see replay files of everyones good laps. I don't want it mandatory, but I'd like to see some just for curiousity. And maybe it helps some guys by watching them and by seeing different styles.

Hi

This is my best lap so far. I'm not one of the fastest so I do not think anyone wants to test my style.:D

But perhaps I can get some tips on what I can improve.

I´m driving with Reik/Mark setup like it a lot thx guys:D

Attachments

• Nürburgring Grand Prix_110211_2147_Qualify HOT LAP.Vcr
    46.2 KB · Views: 244
Hey,

I use Mark's setup. I have changed following things.
* brake pressure 82%
* brake balance 53,8-46,2
* wings 4-28
* rear springs 94
Thanks Mark:cool:!

Attachments

• Nürburgring 1 26 0 jereh.Vcr
    46.5 KB · Views: 274
Arrrghhh... Why do you always need to be the fastest?!?!? :)

Nice one mate!

(For those not knowing you should mention, that your low brake pressure is required because of your controller, right? Normal should be something around 94 % ...)

Arrrghhh... Why do you always need to be the fastest?!?!? :)

Nice one mate!

Thanks Reik:). I'm sure you will beat me sometimes yet:fwd:

(For those not knowing you should mention, that your low brake pressure is required because of your controller, right? Normal should be something around 94 % ...)

You are quite right. My brake pedal is very short. That's why it is hard to adjust brake power, and tyres would lock too easily, if I had high pressures.

But on the other hand I like also use softer brakes, because of my own style braking. There's some good advantages, when using lower pressure, like: less danger to spin, avoid tyre locks, avoid over braking and better speed when entering to the corner.

There's many bumps in braking areas in Nurburgring. Maybe I would use brake pressure 85%-90% with better pedal, hard to say without testing:confused:

:) Thanks! guys about your setups and advices, really I am not good setting up the car, I testing all setup posting here and take better for me, only a few changes.. I drop down about .700 compared before setups..

Somebody let me know where can I change engine brake?

sorry my English

@ Vincenzo

you open the setup file with notepad or wordpad and edit this part......

[ENGINE]
RevLimitSetting=12
EngineMapSetting=4
EngineBrakingMapSetting=4

4 being the highest setting and 1 being the lowest (i think)

hope that helps Vince :)

Here is my 2 race setups , one with 4/29 and one with 5/34, i used the one with 4/29 last sunday pacific race and i did finish 4th :tongue:..

i think u need to change the tires from soft to medium and adjust the fuel level to suite ur strategy..

@Reik :

I beleive it is a good idea to post the replay of a good lap, many things could be learned from it :)..

Attachments

• Anthony race 2.svm
    2.4 KB · Views: 223
  • Anthony race 1.svm
    2.4 KB · Views: 201
Thanks guys is always nice to share yours configurations test this configurations and understand how us have a different style of drive but I have a question if will be a wet race is ok :

put more rear brake
increase height of 1 or 2 clicks the car
lower pressure on wheels
longer 1 2 3 gears
more wings
arb? ( I have yet to understand how it works :wink: )

the only thing that I have understand is: setup is same symphony orchestra only when all musical instruments are tune up there is a good music.

C U all in GERMANY:)

the only thing that I have understand is: setup is same symphony orchestra only when all musical instruments are tune up there is a good music.

I use the same analogy for our league, where all the drivers are the instruments and our league races are the music :)

That is why I am so keen on every instrument being in tune so we can create some good music on Wednesday :)

As for wet setup, my rule of thumb is to make my car softer... however, my setup is already supersoft, so I will do very little changes to it.

The way I see arb is the following: smaller value gives you more grip but later respons, thus you can use it to balance your car. I notice that all the fast guys goes for a stiff rear, I do the opposite, basically because it makes the car much more stable (less likely to oversteer out of a turn). So for a wet race I would recommend softening (lower value) the arb along with suspension.

The way I see arb is the following: smaller value gives you more grip but later respons, thus you can use it to balance your car. I notice that all the fast guys goes for a stiff rear, I do the opposite, basically because it makes the car much more stable (less likely to oversteer out of a turn). So for a wet race I would recommend softening (lower value) the arb along with suspension.

I have found that a stiffer rear arb seems to tune out mid corner understeer and help with turn in a little, but your right, you need to be carefull with how you apply throttle on exit, although with the front holding on better mid corner you can of course ease it in sooner, which is always good:cool:

Also stiffer arb's will help balance tyre temps left to right as it will spread the load to the other tyre, so can be useful if one or the other front tyre is taking a pasting (useualy the left, except at anti clockwise tracks)

Jim

P.S. I've found my Silverstone setup with a few small tweaks and a tad more wing to be very handy here at Nurb

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back