SEASON 11 Race 4 MONZA INCIDENT REPORT

I was involved in something in lap 1, going into parabolica. I was slip streaming an orange car (alex?) and someone else were slip streaming me. As I was about to make a move on the car ahead, I thought the car behind (right up my tail) was making a move as me, I hesitated a split second, hit the car ahead as I moved out of slip stram (but with no consequence) and went for the inside. The orange car, now side by side, turned into me and as a consequence went off (and me almost). I am very sorry for that.

This is how I remember it. But it also felt like a very untidy pass, touching him as I move out of slip stream and everything a bit chaotic. Now it will be interesting to see if the replay tells the same story.

I might also have other things to report, possibly an untidy track re-entry... I'll be back.

This is obviously a bit late, sorry for that, but here is the completion of my report:
Incident 1:
As I am getting ready to make a move on Alex I notice that Guus behind me is making a move on me. This makes me hezitate, thus moving out of sleep stream just too late and touching Alex. However, this contact had no direct consequences.

I position to take the inside, demanding a minimum of room, but in my view Alex turn in on me (not leaving room). This is what it felt like in the race as well, therefore I did not wait. Looking at the replay, I am unsure if I should have lifted after moving to the inside, as I was not fully along Alex.

Alex, do you remember if you expected me to be on the inside or not?

Incident 2:
I see in my mirrors that Jim moves out of my slip stream for a possible attack on the inside. I plan to leave room but am not able to control the car in the wet. Luckily both Jim and Tim (small tap, no consequence) gets unharmed through. I have no control over ongoing traffic and revers my car off the track, hitting Anthony who aimed to go behind me.

I don't think I should do it differently (except not loosing control in the first place). Ongoing traffic (in this case Anthony) should expect me to either stand still or revers.

Epilogue:
I hope I do not look like a worm, trying to blame others for my incident. I am very sorry for Alex being relegated to last position on lap 1. Luckily there were no other significant consequences due to my poor driving.

My take on both incidents:
1: I had exacty the same thing with Vicenzo with the F1 at Monza on the same turn. I coudn't make it fully alongside or past him before parabolica started and then hit him off track because I didn't back off. I said immediatly that it was my fault back then and that was definatly right.
If you are the guy in front in this situation and you try to take this turn on the outside to somehow leave enough room for another car on the inside that hasn't passed you yet, you will either 1) Drive into the gravel whilst trying to stay on track or 2) If you manage to slow down so much to not get into the gravel, you will loose positions to everyone that was even remotly near you. All this simply because there is no grip what so ever outside of the racing line there.

2. Hard to say about the avoiding thing in the end. I don't think I could really expect someone to reverse when standing still. But in this case, I don't know.

Incident 1:
As I am getting ready to make a move on Alex I notice that Guus behind me is making a move on me. This makes me hezitate, thus moving out of sleep stream just too late and touching Alex. However, this contact had no direct consequences.

I position to take the inside, demanding a minimum of room, but in my view Alex turn in on me (not leaving room). This is what it felt like in the race as well, therefore I did not wait. Looking at the replay, I am unsure if I should have lifted after moving to the inside, as I was not fully along Alex.

Alex, do you remember if you expected me to be on the inside or not?

I knew that you were still behind me and I expected you to slow down a bit. And to be honest I thought there was enough room for you inside. It was very disappointing to fall down to last position on lap 1, but it's racing. I don't think we should blame anyone in this incident. You were lucky to stay on track, but I was not. It's just a racing incident.

I knew that you were still behind me and I expected you to slow down a bit. And to be honest I thought there was enough room for you inside. It was very disappointing to fall down to last position on lap 1, but it's racing. I don't think we should blame anyone in this incident. You were lucky to stay on track, but I was not. It's just a racing incident.

I'm not looking to place blame, but to find out what I (and others) should do in a similar situation in the future.

The way I understand Dino and you I should have lifted right after moving to the side to defuse the situation. Personally I am unsure if this is the right solution, I am more than half way up Alex's side before entering braking zone, and then it is too late to brake out of it. I am also unsure if I agree with Dino that one cannot go two abrest in parabolica (although I understand that the car on the outside likely will lose out).

I had exacty the same thing with Vicenzo with the F1 at Monza on the same turn. I coudn't make it fully alongside or past him (...) I said immediatly that it was my fault back then and that was definatly right.
I feel I am uncertain about how far along the other car one needs to be to claim the position. I think earlier we have said more than half way up the side, not fully aside or ahead. If it was the latter I would have closed the door on Jim on my second "incident".

It reminds me of t1 at Watkins Glen (was this the one you were thinking of Dino?). When praticing with Steeve I went off everytime he tried a pass on the inside, I wasn't able to take the turn when inside line was blocked. Steeve appolegiesed and said he wouldn't do it in the race, but I protested and said it was my problem, that I needed to learn how to handle the car with someone on the inside.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back