New iRacer to teach (that's me that's the noob)

As the other guys said, practice but practice won't get you race experience. Become a licensed member here at RD and come and join us for some of our events. We're a friendly group with drivers ranging from outright aliens to slow-poke's like me. You're very welcome to join us.

I had started a small movement with a Racedepartment iRacing school here, but not long after I started to get things on my end in full swing I had to take a job and then got hurt. Soooo I think the blackhole sucked it up... lol...

Everyone here that races in the club events and leagues are usually 99% off the time very friendly, helpful, and will give you advice if you ask for it. I would recommend the iRacing group here any day of the week!!!

As a matter of fact there is a friends list here and if you see some of us in a practice fill free to jump in with us. William and I seem to be chasing each other around a few times a week. This last run in the Vette at Silverstone was probably the best and most fun I've had in a LONG time... There were a few times that you probably couldn't have slid a piece of paper between our cars... hehehe

Also I would add that 95% or more of my speed has come from chasing William, Lars, Kevin, and a few others around in a practice.

Hi Christopher,

If I had some spare time I would be happy to help you out. Unfortunately my spare time is very very limited to race.

As the others mentioned, just join sessions. You can just join session and first watch how others drive around the track. Select other drivers, change to cockpit view and try to learn how they drive.
Don't try to watch the aliens but begin with watching how an average driver takes the corners. If you are slower then average, begin with that part first. Some aces/aliens drive such high level, we normal humans will never achieve.

I do exactly the same. Since yesterday the Skips drive at Zandvoort. I practiced till I did a reasonable lap, which was 1.58.high. I just entered an online practice session to see what laptimes I should have. Initially i was happy to only be 0.5 from the current fastest time, which was 1.58.0x. Then some alien entered the session and drove consistent 1.55s. I viewed him driving and I already knew it was beyond my capabilities, unless I have hours and hours of spare time. But I tried doing the same cornering and lines during various corners and my times dropped to 1.57s. Still 2 seconds off pace, but good enough for me.

The biggest thing in iRacing is to drive consistent, slow or fast is not important. Drive your laps and have fun. And watch your mirrors for superfast dudes. The F3 info screen helps to see who is lapping you and how far away they are.
As said, practice enough and try to join some RD events. They will not harm your safety rating :)

Right now I don't need F3 to know who's lapping me... they ALL are ;). I can't get fast times for nothing. :(.

Add in, some tracks seem build not for speed, but instead were build to see how slow a car can go... Okayama or whatever it is called, is one of these tracks... except for the straits, I'm always between 30 and 50... no faster... that one s-corner or whatever stops me almost completely to get around it.... If I try at speed, (20mph or more, I spin...)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back