WTCC is Dead, Long Live WTCC - Tribute Video

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
WTCR Merge Video.jpg

Following the merger of TCR and WTCC the FIA World Touring Car Championship is officially over, check out this touching tribute video to the history of this epic series...

Released by the outgoing World Touring Car Championship organisers, the near four minute tribute video tracks the history of a series that ran with great success from 2005 right the way through to the end of this season, showcasing some of the incredible action and stars of a championship that for over ten years marked the pinnacle of international touring car racing.

Featuring some of the past and present stars of the WTCC, the new video can be seen in full below..

Of course the WTCC will live on in 2018 under the new WTCR banner and using the hugely popular TCR regulations of former WTCC promoter Marcelo Lotti, however the "World Championship" status of the series has been revoked by the FIA due to the restriction on fully works backed manufacturer status in TCR specification championship, effectively making the new WTCR a customer team focussed series with limited manufacturer support outside of the creation and sale of this varied and impressive touring car machines.

WTCR Logo .jpg

Big budgets have often been cited as the death call of many an official racing series, and the WTCC have acted quickly to ensure the same fate doesn't bring to a close World Championship level touring car racing. Obviously the continuation of the series is a very good thing for motorsport fans despite the landscape looking set to be very different in 2018, something we asked you for your opinions on back on Saturday in our 'Have Your Say' article here at RaceDepartment.

Personally I have loved watching the WTCC and the formally titled ETCC that ran before World Championship status would be granted to the series for '05, and I am looking forward to seeing what the future holds for this outstanding championship.

List of official WTCC Champions - 2005 - 2017

2005 Andy Priaulx - BMW Team UK BMW 320i - BMW BMW 320i
Andy Priaulx - BMW Team UK BMW 320si - BMW BMW 320si
Andy Priaulx - BMW Team UK BMW 320si - BMW BMW 320si
Yvan Muller - SEAT Sport SEAT León TDI - SEAT SEAT León TDI
Gabriele Tarquini - SEAT Sport SEAT León 2.0 TDI - SEAT León 2.0 TDI
Yvan Muller - Chevrolet RML Chevrolet Cruze LT - Chevrolet Chevrolet Cruze LT
Yvan Muller - Chevrolet RML Chevrolet Cruze 1.6T - Chevrolet Chevrolet Cruze 1.6T
Robert Huff - Chevrolet RML Chevrolet Cruze 1.6T - Chevrolet Chevrolet Cruze 1.6T
Yvan Muller - RML Chevrolet Cruze 1.6T - Honda Honda Civic WTCC
José María López - Citroën Total WTCC Citroën C-Elysée - Citroën Citroën C-Elysée
José María López - Citroën Total WTCC Citroën C-Elysée - Citroën Citroën C-Elysée
Thed Bjork - Polestar Cyan Racing Volvo S60 Polestar TC1 - Volvo S60 Polestar TC1

WTCC Race Winners
  1. Yvan Muller - 48
  2. José María López - 29
  3. Robert Huff - 28
  4. Alain Menu - 23
  5. Gabriele Tarquini - 22
  6. Andy Priaulx - 18
  7. Augusto Farfus - 15
  8. Tiago Monteiro - 11
  9. Jörg Müller - 10
  10. Norbert Michelisz - 8
  11. Tom Chilton - 6
  12. Tom Coronel - 6
  13. Sébastien Loeb - 6
  14. Mehdi Bennani - 5
  15. Rickard Rydell - 5
  16. Jordi Gené - 4
  17. Fabrizio Giovanardi - 4
  18. Dirk Müller - 4
  19. James Thompson - 4
  20. Alessandro Zanardi - 4
  21. Thed Bjork - 3
  22. Michel Nykjær - 3
  23. Nicky Catsburg - 2
  24. Stefano D'Aste - 2
  25. Esteban Guerrieri - 2
  26. James Nash - 2
  27. Félix Porteiro - 2
  28. Ma Qinghua - 2
  29. Yann Ehrlacher - 1
  30. Franz Engstler - 1
  31. Néstor Girolami - 1
  32. Sergio Hernández - 1
  33. Duncan Huisman - 1
  34. Nicola Larini - 1
  35. Gianni Morbidelli - 1
  36. Pepe Oriola - 1
  37. Salvatore Tavano - 1
  38. Peter Terting - 1
  39. Colin Turkington - 1

Want to discuss the world of motorsport with fellow fans of sport on 2, 3 and 4 wheels? Have a burning desire to throw out an opinion or get involved in a discussion? If you do then head over to the Motorsport Sub Forum and leave a comment today!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Looking forward to WTCR in 2018? Happy to see the series survive under a new direction? Do you think the WTCC / WTCR can recapture the glory days of the mid 2000's? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
WTCC was somewhat important to my country (Argentina) thanks to the victories and championships earned by "Pechito" López. Nobody expected the only outsider of an almost entirely French team to dominate the series for three years. The guy deserved better luck in racing, to be honest. He was one of the drivers of the disastrous "USF1" project which led him out of F1 without even trying it. The jump to Formula E and the WEC proved to be unsuccessful, and sadly I can see him coming back to our local racing series in little time.

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
I'd like to know what's gonna happen with the old TC1 spec cars? Will they be retired? Will they pop up in various national series?

Always think it sad when good cars (thinking Volvo) vanish from the scene

I'd like to know what's gonna happen with the old TC1 spec cars? Will they be retired? Will they pop up in various national series?

Always think it sad when good cars (thinking Volvo) vanish from the scene
Possible the usual old racing car home at N24, Dubai 24 and the 24 Series

The FIA should've allowed the class to evolve rather than to allow this so-called "split" to happen

The WTCC took the wrong way IMO. They had great cars in the S2000 Era. Low Aero, they just needed a bit more Power like 400-500HP. I wish they had the cars of the V8 Supercars.

View attachment 225939
...however the "World Championship" status of the series has been revoked by the FIA due to the restriction on fully works backed manufacturer status in TCR specification championship, effectively making the new WTCR a customer team focussed series with limited manufacturer support outside of the creation and sale of this varied and impressive touring car machines.

Still, like usual; what has the FIA learned since it's history, absolutely nothing and now the WTCC has with Group A, Supertouring, Class 1, Group C, GT1, etc joined the motorsport graveyard

After i played race07, i realise time to stop playing sim race, no big change in this realm, after several years AC out, then i feel the passion back.

I think a lot of Euro touring car series suffer from poor television production, BTCC isn't bad but V8 supercars are way out in front, even before the move to Foxtel. It feels like its put together by people who love motorsport with lots of onboard cameras that get utilised in the best way.

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 87 19.5%
  • €151-500

Votes: 121 27.1%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 73 16.3%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 39 8.7%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 45 10.1%
  • €3001-5000