WRC4 WRC 4 The Game

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
On the iOpener website there is a very interesting article about an upcoming World Rally Championship simulator:

World Rally Championship's next game: Racing live against rally heroes

The next generation WRC computer game will allow players to 'compete' in live rallies", states ISC chairman Neil Duncanson in the April version of SportBusiness International magazine. ISC, the global promoter of the World Rally Championship (WRC), mentions WRC's ultimate goal as building up an online gaming world championship alongside the real thing.
ISC and the computer gaming industry believe the next step in gaming is this 'live' competition between gamers and real drivers, made possible through iOpener's patented technology.
ISC CEO Simon Long says: "Now we are a global promoter, we want this to be multi-platform, multi-publisher, multi-territory."
For Long and Duncanson the new game is part of WRC's broader efforts to appeal new fans beyond the hardcore enthusiastics. FIA's chairman Max Mosley has said the virtual champion will be honoured at the WRC's annual end-of-season awards ceremony in Monaco.

Source: iOpener Media

Last April we already brought you the first news about iOpener Media's beta testers recruitment for their Real Time Racing project.

The news about this technology where virtual racers can compete against the real drivers on the track in real time is now spreading amoung the simracing communities.

iOpener is still looking for the worlds best simracers to join their beta test program that's about to start soon. If you are interested in joining then you can sign up on the RTR website

Attachments

• sportbusinessinternational.jpg
    sportbusinessinternational.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 631
Real full stages were actually announced? That's about 5000 km of road :eek:

To quote, the early promo information / advertising released a few months ago:

"The game will feature all 13 rally events from the 2010 schedule and extensive online features as players will be able to compete against the real WRC stars thanks to iOpener’s GPS technology"

Based on this, most people expect the real Rally Stages to be there. Maybe I was just niave.

I think the graphics are good. (Which shouldn't decide a game anyway) Gameplay is all that matters to me. On the hardest settings it still gives a decent challenge So I know I will be buying it. It's not as annoying as Dirt 2, Which is a plus.
I didn’t like Dirt 2 either, but WRC 2010 looks worse, with a driving experience’s that’s slightly less predictable (although still bad) and just as numb.

Yes it has nothing on RBR but if I want a game like RBR then I play RBR lol.

We can say the same about WRC 2010: If you want to play a game like Xpand Rally Xtreme, you have Xpand Rally Xtreme.

I am sure I would buy and play a new rally simulator similar to RBR. I am sure theres is space and enough potential buyers for a realistic, difficult, well done rally simulator.

I've played the demo - it's not RBR difficult but it's more than a Dirt series clone. I think "simulation light" would be the best way to describe the physics. Does WRC feel good? To me it does, pad or wheel (wheel is of course the better alternative). One must change the car set-up as the stardard set-up has way too much understeer dialed into it.

Graphically, WRC is OK. If you've played any of Milestone's SBK games, most recently SBK X, then you know what the game looks like - 30fps and very unspectacular. Just like the SBK games, the way it plays makes up for any graphical deficiencies.

Cheers.

I've played the demo - it's not RBR difficult but it's more than a Dirt series clone. I think "simulation light" would be the best way to describe the physics. Does WRC feel good? To me it does, pad or wheel (wheel is of course the better alternative). One must change the car set-up as the stardard set-up has way too much understeer dialed into it.

Graphically, WRC is OK. If you've played any of Milestone's SBK games, most recently SBK X, then you know what the game looks like - 30fps and very unspectacular. Just like the SBK games, the way it plays makes up for any graphical deficiencies.

Cheers.
:doublethumb: Thanks for the insight. Definitely gonna pick this one up.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • More leagues

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • Prizes

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • Trophies

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 3 5.6%