Windows 10 Fall Creators Update breaks AC every time.

Hi everyone,

So it's the third month Windows has forced me to install the FCU. Each time AC and other games have been broken by it, and I know this since each time I remove the update it fixes it. Of course, AC is the most important one, so that's why I'm here to ask you guys if there's another way I can proceed regarding this. Whenever I fire up AC after the update, I get this warning:
mcCW95k.jpg

Pressing OK resumes game loading. Everything looks normal, but when I try to go into any session, I get this:
0HOzxR0.png

So I do, and I see this:
lbZIU5u.png

As you can see, there is nothing where the resolution is supposed to be, and when I try to drop down the menu, there are no options at all. If I try to load a session after that, I can do it and I get 1080p, but it ignores the rest of the settings and goes minimum quality.

Am I doomed to annotate my mods and nuke the game to reinstall everything? Or is there another thing I can try? Because if not, the damn thing is gonna force the update on me every month.

Edit: Oh snap! Forgot to put the actual version! It's Windows 10 64bit v.1709 (OS build 16299.125)

Thanks for the help, as always.

Ps.: As a side note, GTA V is broken as well. It starts windowed even though it's on fullscreen, and if I go to graphic settings and set it to fullscreen, it goes to 800x600 and I can't get any other resolution. I've yet to test more games but I'm sure there's more mess somewhere.

Last edited:
You know that moment when you post a cry for help and immediately solve the problem? :roflmao: Yep.

I'll leave my solution in case anyone else runa into this issue: first download the drivers for your monitor from the manufacturer's website (in my case ViewSonic). Reinstall them. Then reset the resolution in your Windows settings (by setting it to a random resolution and then back to your preferred one again). After I did that, it worked.
Thanks anyways and if you have the same issue, I hope my method helps. :D

Usually you don't need to update the display monitor list as it usually read "Generic PnP Monitor" which is build in for the graphic driver graphic card.

Windows often pile up update for the OS. It also update other drivers if they're too old or unfit for everyday use which you may reset your display setting. It's probably the cause of the issue.

Although just restarting the computer after the update simply fix it.

Graphics driver up to date?

Indeed, as a matter of fact an update dropped two days ago and since I wasn't doing anything I installed it immediately.

Usually you don't need to update the display monitor list as it usually read "Generic PnP Monitor" which is build in for the graphic driver graphic card.

Windows often pile up update for the OS. It also update other drivers if they're too old or unfit for everyday use which you may reset your display setting. It's probably the cause of the issue.

Although just restarting the computer after the update simply fix it.

Possibly, I thought it could be an issue since I built this PC under Windows 7 and that system picked up the monitor without issue, no drivers installed (Generic PnP Monitor as you said). Then I upgraded to 10 and so far no problems, but I imagined the lack of drivers could have caused a bit of mayhem when a patch came through. So I opted for downloading them.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.