Williams Appoint Team Manager as Restructure Continues

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Williams appoint Dave Redding.jpg

Williams Martini Racing have signed highly regarded engineer Dave Redding from McLaren in the role of Team Manager, starting from the upcoming Austrian Grand Prix.

Redding has over 30 years of experience in Formula One for such teams as Benneton, McLaren, Jaguar and Stewart Grand Prix, and replaces outgoing Steve Nielson at the Grove team.

Initially joining McLaren as Chief mechanic to the then number one driver Mika Hakkinen, Redding would find himself wearing the Tartan colours of Steward Ford at the close of the year when the British engineer made a move to head up the technical department of the new Jackie Stewart run concern.

Staying with Stewart as it formed into Jaguar Grand Prix, Redding eventually found himself back in McLaren colours as a Systems Engineer for the 2000 season, moving into roles as Race Engineer and eventually Director of Race Operations at the beginning of 2009.

Redding joins Williams as Team Manager and will be responsible for overall management of the operational and sporting aspects of the race team.

Paddy Lowe, Chief Technical Officer at Williams, stated on news of the new appointment;

“Firstly, I must thank Steve for his hard work and dedication since joining Williams in 2014. He has done a brilliant job in restructuring the race team and particularly in driving the impressive pits top performances we have shown in the last 18 months. From a personal perspective it has been a great pleasure to work together since I started here in March. We all wish him the very best for the future.

“I am also delighted to welcome Dave to the Williams team. Dave brings an exceptional level of Formula One racing knowledge and experience. Since joining, I have seen first-hand the talented individuals we have in the race team at Williams. I’m sure Dave will fit in well and be able to provide the operational and sporting leadership necessary to not only maintain our current high standards, but to build even further on all aspects of our race team performance in the future.”
Williams have been undergoing something of a restructure of late following the signing of Mercedes Paddy Lowe to Chief Technical Office, and adding Redding to the back room strength at Grove can only be seen as a strong signal of Williams intentions to climb back up the grid in the coming years.

Following the recent podium for rookie Lance Stroll in Baku the team currently lie fifth in the Constructors Championship, 42 points behind main rivals Force India.

Check out the Formula One sub forum for more news and discussions regarding the world of Formula One racing.

Do you think Williams can return to the front of the Formula One grid in the next couple of years? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Not as long as customers engines are somewhat crippled compared to factory teams engines. Unless they become a factory team again like in the BMW days I don't see them being on front row. Sadly :(

Yeah think I have to agree with you on that. Still, if they could get into the mix and regularly fight for the podium and the odd win year in year out then it makes for a good platform to attract said manufacturer.

I can see a Williams with a Honda strapped in the back in a couple of years (assuming McL drop Honda for 2018 and they Japanese get their act together over the next year or two with sauber).

Much as Honda are beyond a joke at the moment, for some reason I just can't count them out if they are in it for the long run.

Yeah think I have to agree with you on that. Still, if they could get into the mix and regularly fight for the podium and the odd win year in year out then it makes for a good platform to attract said manufacturer.

I can see a Williams with a Honda strapped in the back in a couple of years (assuming McL drop Honda for 2018 and they Japanese get their act together over the next year or two with sauber).

Much as Honda are beyond a joke at the moment, for some reason I just can't count them out if they are in it for the long run.
I sure do hope so! For me as I began watching F1 at the end of the 80's, Williams is for me just as iconic as Ferrari. Hopefully they now find their way back to regular podiums and some wins here and there. And indeed, Honda, or maybe even Toyota one day...

And after all, for me personally, the more real competitive teams, the better!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back