1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. #GiveAwayFriday. Win a copy of F1 2017 - The Game. Click here to join.

Will I lose my Vista boot screen with XP installation

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by vmagics, Dec 16, 2009.

1. vmagics

vmagics

Ratings:
    +0
    I am dual booting with WinXP and Vista Ultimate. XP was installed first and since the second OS installed was Vista I get the Vista boot screen on startup. I am considering formatting and reinstalling XP but I'm a little concerned about losing the Vista boot screen or worse, losing the option of booting into Vista altogether. The only recommendation I've received (I read it in a dual booting tutorial) is EasyBCD. Can any confirm whether or not this app works as promised and is it really necessary for such a small undertaking? I'm fairly well equipped to take on this task and this is my only concern... although I seem to remember the old boot.ini system not needing any third party software. Thanks

2. Christopher Aponte

Christopher Aponte
    Premium

Ratings:
    +9
    I think you can reinstall XP with no problem, if XP and Vista are in different partition, then the pc will see both OS and let you have a choice menu to which to boot up.

any other opinion?

3. Peter

Peter
    who cares Premium

Ratings:
    +666
  4. Marcel Hulsbergen

Marcel Hulsbergen
    #111 | Roaring Pipes Maniacs

Ratings:
    +22
    Always setup the oldest OS first, thats my rule, and I never had problems. So I actually never tried the opposite. Vista and XP have a total different bootloader, so only try it out after a good backup. Actually I will not advise you to do this.

5. Peter

Peter
    who cares Premium

Ratings:
    +666
    If you try it you will see that there is absolute no risk if you follow the link, and its very easy.

6. Marcel Hulsbergen

Marcel Hulsbergen
    #111 | Roaring Pipes Maniacs

Ratings:
    +22
    It's a good guide, but I should only use it if no other options are available, and make a backup from your data on a usb disk.

7. Peter

Peter
    who cares Premium

Ratings:
    +666
    http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=11

Here is another great tip, if you install Ireboot in both XP and Win7 you can choose witch OS starts if you restart the PC.