why is right size of texture so important!?

Yeah it worked with 4, the dds plugin previously set 6.
That's interesting info, thanks for sharing that :)

[ED] hmm, I don't get it, 192/2 = 96, 96/2 = 48, 48/2 = 24, 24/2 = 12, 6, 3.
That's 6 mips, but it wouldn't load with 6 mips.

We need to get our terminology consistent. I've always assumed that the phrase 'powers of 2' meant '2^n'. If that's correct then of course 'powers of 4' means '4^n', but everything in the 4^n series is also in the 2^n series. And numbers like 192, 384 etc are not in either series.

I did a google search and found someone saying that 2^n is necessary if you're using compression (e.g. DXT1-5), and that any dimensions are acceptable if you're not using compression. Compression can massively reduce file sizes, so it's not a good idea to abandon it.

Your graphics program might be a factor. Gimp has a dds plugin, but it's not the official one from Nvidia. And it has no 'number of Mips' option. Perhaps someone with Photoshop or PSP could try other dimensions.

I use blender and there is no such restriction. There is a possibility constants can be set to export in non powers of 2 by editing the export file format. I would need to examine those file(s) to know.
I meant using the gmotor exporter for max. But I think R Soul hit the spot, you can use any size jpg, tga png, but when it comes to dds, it's different.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More leagues

• Prizes

• Trophies

• Forum trophies