Why is Alcantara So Popular?

Awhile back, I bought the Thrustmaster PC Racer wheel base with the Ferrari wheel rim. It was my first experience with alcantara on a rim --- and I have to say that I hate it.

What exactly is the appeal of this stuff? Is it supposed to simulate material found on "real" racing rims? Or is it somehow considered "plush"? (Not in my book, as it feels to me that it has small splinters imbedded in the material.) I've since read that you should wear gloves in order to prevent the material from breaking down. -- That involves more cost and inconvenience, so what's the attraction?

I'm genuinely puzzled why so many add-on rims tout this stuff as a desirable feature, so can someone explain what the draw is?

Thanks.
Bert

Yeah, it doesn't simulate the material used on real racing wheels - it is the material used on real racing wheels.

I have the same wheelbase as the OP and I love it! It's great with a cheap pair of soft leather gardening gloves.

Upvote 0
So much better with some nice gloves really stops any mistakes mid corner just gives total grip
Imagine if you been racing say 20/30 laps in a heated battle for the last 5/6 laps hands are hot and sweaty, mediocre materials or slippy materials can cause small mistakes becomes uncomfortable. :)

Upvote 0
My first steering wheels were Alcantara, but now I avoid it as it wears too much, harder to clean and doesn't feel as good in bare hands.

All subsequent wheels have been leather, pleather, rubber or plain carbon fibre.
It sounds like you and I are of like minds on this topic

So can anyone recommend a non-alcantara wheel rim (leather, pleather, rubber or plain carbon fibre, etc) or two that would be compatible with Thrustmaster's PC-Racer? It seems that most of the "upper-end" wheel rims have alcantara.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
I've got an open wheel addon, which is suede/alcantara covered and needs gloves.

But I've also got the F458 Italia (rubber & plastic covered), and the F458 GTE (rubber covered) and I like them both just as much.

Italia:
Many say the Italia is a bit 'cheap', but actually I really like it - it's light so it conveys the FFB well; also it seems to be 'quicker' when going for a fast lap, again maybe because it's light; and although it might look a bit cheap, it's actually quite a good copy of the genuine 458 Italia wheel.
Anyway, it's worth having a look on Ebay, as due to it's general lack of popularity, you can pick up a really nice one for £40 or less (I bought one for £37 and because I like it so much I later bought a spare for £40, both in mint condition).

458GTE:
Firm rubber grip with lots of little indents in. This one is a bit more solid and heavy. It looks and feels more like a real race wheel, but actually I think the weight slows me down by fractions of a second (could be my imagination though). (£90 new)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My understanding was, that suede and alcantara do indeed differ:

Suede: Real genuine leather, tanned and colored. Very grippy at first, but the fibers drop out over time, leaving a smooth leather, that can feel slick. Also, the coloring is rubbing off quite noticeably, so may only be driven with gloves.
Suede wheels are almost exculsively used in race cars

Alcantara: Synthetic fabric that is similar in appearence to suede, but the fibers are more subtle, and it does not grip as severe as real suede. Alcantara does usually not rub off, and the material is very durable. Alcantara wheels can often be found in fancy sport cars, and as lining for the upholstery of many cars, as it is cheaper then geunine leather,
and more appealing then simple fabric.

Upvote 0
I like Alcantara more than Suede.

Suede tints your hands, dont Last too long in good condition, when it has a lot of use it turns into leather but only were your hands rest.

Best alcantara wheel I ever drive is the Fanatec Porsche GT2, gray color, soft and smells like it should. Thrustmaster Ferrari Alcantara is good too but it doesn't have that characteristic smell or it lasted very little. Both have suffered countless hours of simracing (Real racing is less agresive because you are not 24/7 in a real racecar).

About Suede wheel, my Experience is Thrustmaster only (Sparco R383 & TSPC racer) and Both have lasted me in good condition for only a month. My open wheel Racer now have leather grips, smooth leather, and the Sparco one was a ver bad Experience with lots of tint in my hands and an awnful looking Just after 2 races

Upvote 0
Sounds like leather is the way to go no matter what.
I have a 350mm Momo Race wheel I use for drifting on my Fanatec xbox hub this thing is sublime feels great looks great and cleans itself almost no hassle at all,
yesterday spent 40 minutes cleaning my Porsche 911 Fanatec wheel I used it a few times with no gloves its not even had 5hrs use in total I dont think looked like a swamp wheel, cleaned it with a old toothbrush and some cold water now looks nice again but compared to the leather wheels there nothing but hassle these other materials + when you come to sell them you loose loads if they look really worn but a nice leather wheel still look like new even after 3years use hence worth more when coming to sell it.

Upvote 0
Alcantara definitely isn't worth it, but should only be used with gloves.

I have one Alcantara rim and I've had a leather wheel. They leather wheel was just as grippy and worked well with bare hands.

My favorite wheel is a PSE GT3 and it uses a high end textured carbon fiber look vinyl. It is by the the lowest maintenance and most durable of all the materials I've seen. It's super grippy with both gloves and bare hands and very comfortable.

Upvote 0
I would never touch a good steering wheels without gloves. Even leather doesn't like sweat, and remember that human flesh sliding will polish it and make it look shiny and slippery. Also you can accidentaly damage it if your nails are not cut short.

Upvote 0
I would never touch a good steering wheels without gloves. Even leather doesn't like sweat, and remember that human flesh sliding will polish it and make it look shiny and slippery. Also you can accidentaly damage it if your nails are not cut short.

Never had a problem with my leather wheels even with many visitors who never wore gloves, but I could see that happen.

For the vinyl covered wheels, it is no effort to clean them with soap.

That said I always wear karting gloves and personally put most of the hours on my wheels.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea