Which monitor for Racing Sim?

Hello,

now after years of enjoying and actually using my HP w2207h for my photography job I want to put it into my office while I need a monitor for gaming or to be more precise Assetto Corsa since its the only game I play besides Pro Pinball Ultra and Battletech.
Since my old one uses 60 hz I had a look on Amazon and saw that now I could buy monitors that work with 240hz but are they any good for sim racers? Since I don´t have a rig one monitor will be enough for me. But I need one that doesn´t hurt my eyes lowers input lag and doesn´t overtrow me with silly apps and gizmos with funny names. I don´t need a connection to facetunes and I don´t want an extra washing machine.
My specs so far are:
i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz, motherboard: Z97X-Gaming 5, graphics: MSI GTX 970, 16 GB Ram, Sound card: Asus Xonar STX II
If anybody could help me find my way I would be very thankful.

Well, pretty much every article I read on GSYNC mentiones input lag.

Well, I'll guess there is not an simple yes/no answer but it is possible to have 0 delay added and almost tear free frames with gsync. This article has an test done using an 1000fps camera.

https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/

From the conclusion
"Much like strobing methods such as LightBoost & ULMB permit “1000Hz-like” motion clarity at attainable framerates in the here and now, G-SYNC provides input response that rivals high framerate V-SYNC OFF, with no tearing, and at any framerate within its range."

Upvote 0
One thing to add which I read quite often is that the moment you reach the limit of your monitor gsync will switch over to vsync. Which then of course has input lag.
If I could justify to afford a gsync monitor the biggest advantages would be to limit the framerate at whatever my PC can achieve with ease and not have input lag or tearing and be able to stream without stuttering at the same time (everything other than fraps stutters if you use vsync. Tried everything, checked at a lot of other PCs...).
In my opinion it's a great technology but only if you can afford it without sacrificing anything else.

Upvote 0
One thing to add which I read quite often is that the moment you reach the limit of your monitor gsync will switch over to vsync. Which then of course has input lag.
If I could justify to afford a gsync monitor the biggest advantages would be to limit the framerate at whatever my PC can achieve with ease and not have input lag or tearing and be able to stream without stuttering at the same time (everything other than fraps stutters if you use vsync. Tried everything, checked at a lot of other PCs...).
In my opinion it's a great technology but only if you can afford it without sacrificing anything else.

This will only occur if you leave vsync on in your settings. To avoid screen tearing beyond even a high refresh rate gsync monitor, you can just set a fps cap in many games, or the custom GPU software provided by the card manufacture, or use this free software - http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/nvidia_inspector.html

Upvote 0
Thanx but I´m rather looking for something smaller with at least 140hz and a more modern display, because I use pivot function very often and this monitor will give me eye cancer. I already have such a monitor in front of me ;)

Upvote 0
I don't know how near you'll sit but having a 27" screen and normal desk (80cm) with keyboard and mouse in front of the screen and sitting directly behind that desk while racing, the calculated fov would be around 30 (vertical).
I have it at 48 since I can't drive with not even seeing the a-pole in cockpit view.

24" would be way too small or did I miss anything about you wanting to go for triples?
Or you'll have the screen 30cm in front of your eyes?

Anyway, not want to talk into your decision. Just saying that you should give the fov calculators out there a go before you decide for a size :)

Upvote 0
@RasmusP I´m racing with a 22" for 10 ten years now. Never had a problem. The only thing was that my eyes need more hz and a better display since office work takes the toll. Just look at my monitors resolution, it hurts the eyes. Why I don´t want a 27" monster I explained earlier.

Upvote 0
@RasmusP I´m racing with a 22" for 10 ten years now. Never had a problem. The only thing was that my eyes need more hz and a better display since office work takes the toll. Just look at my monitors resolution, it hurts the eyes. Why I don´t want a 27" monster I explained earlier.
Makes sense. As said I didn't remember everything I read in here.
Sounds absolutely reasonable then, thanks for explaining again :)

Upvote 0

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • More leagues

Votes: 40 19.1%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.6%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • Forum trophies