1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

Where are the setups stored?

Discussion in 'Project CARS' started by Bram, May 12, 2015.

1. Bram

Bram
    Roaring Pipes Maniacs | #27 Staff Premium Member

Is there a way to export setups from Project CARS? I'd like to keep my own library of custom build setups offline and share them with my team mates or here on the forums.

Is there a folder where these setups are stored?

2. I'd also like to know where the control settings and FFB settings are stored. I've only been able to find the graphics settings.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Unfortunately, all of these are stored in a proprietary format in a file called "default.sav". Hopefully there will be a revisit in this space now that the release is done.

• Beer Beer x 2
  4. Lazarou

Lazarou
    Premium Member

Looking at the file structure it does not look like they want it messed with. Unfortunately!

5. It is a big flaw in the whole product that you cannot save multiple setups for cars/tracks - a long established default for any sim for the past decade...

For now folks are sharing screengrabs of their setups which I can't bother trying to emulate

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Bram

Bram

Too bad, then I have nothing to share with the community. Not going to bother taking screenshots of in game settings. Too much work.

What I honestly don't get with Pcars is why have 80,000 people agreed with such silly things as non-exportable setups. #youonlyhadonejob

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. This is not a new problem - Codemasters also don't have shareable setups. I guess this is what happens when games are made to suit consoles and adapted to work on PC's these days.

8. Bram

Bram

Unlike Codemasters this game isn't a console port @Ho3n3r it's developed for PC, hence I am surprised this very basic feature is left out.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Andy Jackson

Andy Jackson
    Sponsored by BRUT Premium Member

This and other things were discussed and the big hitters (read big investors) all shouted the loudest. Like modding cabability etc. All the normal things that many sim racers would take as a given were left out. They really wanted a sealed unit that was pick up and play across all platforms.

Many who tried to get things like this and mod capability were basically outnumbered (read: told to shut up or shown the door) by the investors who wanted it all locked down for some inexerable reason that they said caused cheating etc online.

10. Bram

Bram

Cheating online because of exportable setups? :sick:

• Haha Haha x 1
  11. I thought there was a console version? If so, some things like saves would be developed to cover both platforms. Otherwise it's like doing the same work twice I guess.

12. Bram

Bram

There is, but I think the "base" game was developed first on PC. With Codemasters I always have the feeling their "base" are consoles.

13. Indeed - but some features I get the feeling will always get developed to work the same on both.

This is the same problem we have with CM games, after all - all setups saved in a single encrypted file.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Bram

Bram

And zero cheating online in CM games, so point proven :)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  15. I guess this was sarcastic - I don't have PCars yet - keeping an eye on the progress though - so I dunno if there is cheating, but if you say so(sarcastically)... ;)

Even rFactor has cheaters - I guess there will always be a way where there's a will.

16. Bram

Bram

Sheldon doesn't understand sarcasm :) But yeah, referred to Mid-Pack Jack's post above us :)

17. Justin

Justin
    #1 overuser of the :P emoticon

Even if the consoles couldn't use text-file based setups like PC sims could, why couldn't SMS have developed an in-game setup sharing system instead that could have also worked on the consoles? Combined with the one setup slot (which is less than the Codemasters games of all things!), it seems to be an area that has been heavily overlooked, especially for something as important as setups are to sims.

Replays also suffer from the same problem too. Can't be shared outside of your game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Andy Jackson

Andy Jackson
    Sponsored by BRUT Premium Member

No that was the excuse for not wanting modability. The setups are a different thing. I have no idea why these couldn't have been included. Perhaps one of the bigger investors will show up and tell us why?

19. Agreed 100% on all counts soooo basic and huge oversight imo

20. Bram

Bram

Still need to check if the server is actually keeping a replay file. If not this is a big showstopper for a league as without a proper replay file we can't follow up on incident reports.