Apps What should I use? Blender or RTB?

So I decided that I want to build some race tracks for AC and I can't decide which one I want to use, I've seen there are more tutorials on YouTube about Blender. I am new in AC modding and I would like to spend time in making my mods look good, but I don't know if I should use Blender or RTB. Which program would you recommend me for me to make good circuit mods?

RTB will probably get you started quicker and more easily, but in the long run it is going to make it much harder to complete your tracks to a high level of quality and detail.

In the past, I experimented with RTB to create a basic road that ran through the real landscape. I then exported it and worked on it in 3ds max, which worked to a certain degree, but to be honest, you're going to be much better off learning a fully-fledged 3D package. There's so much more to track making than just creating the road - eventually, you will want to make grandstands, pit buildings, marshal posts, barriers, etc.

Once you've learned Blender or 3ds max, the (virtual) world is your oyster :)

RTB will probably get you started quicker and more easily, but in the long run it is going to make it much harder to complete your tracks to a high level of quality and detail.

In the past, I experimented with RTB to create a basic road that ran through the real landscape. I then exported it and worked on it in 3ds max, which worked to a certain degree, but to be honest, you're going to be much better off learning a fully-fledged 3D package. There's so much more to track making than just creating the road - eventually, you will want to make grandstands, pit buildings, marshal posts, barriers, etc.

Thanks for the advice, I already downloaded Blender and as soon as I get hone I’ll try and remake a small go kart circuit to learn the basics :)

Thanks for the advice, I already downloaded Blender and as soon as I get hone I’ll try and remake a small go kart circuit to learn the basics :)

Keep in mind there is going to be a huge learning curve. You're not going to make a track in a night. Or a day. Or a week. Or a month. If you're starting from scratch, especially if you've never done any 3D modeling before, you're going to need to learn a lot. Be prepared for that. Also keep in mind that you need to learn many different things. In addition to learning how to create the geometry itself, you also need to learn how to create and save textures properly, how to optimize your meshes and objects and textures, long standing tips and tricks for certain effects, and the development pipeline for Assetto Corsa itself including all needed elements to make it actually work in the game. This is going to take a while, especially if you have a job and a family. There's a reason game development takes so long, especially these days.

When it comes to the RTB vs Blender discussion, if all you want is a basic, ugly, poorly optimized circuit RTB will get you there. If you want something half way decent you are going to need to learn how to use a proper 3D program, like Blender.

All "easy" tools are "easy" because they remove so many variables and options for customization that it's basically impossible to do exactly what you need to do. They allow you to do a few specific things in a specific way. Real life doesn't work this way, and if you're trying to replicate something real there's going to be details, subtleties, and features that are actually impossible to do with simplified tools.

So how does Blender compare to 3dsmax, are they pretty much equivalent?

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.