What on earth have they done to RF2. How do I get the old fr2 start back

thank you Bob. I am currently at finished .why on earth would they try to release such an abortion.?

sorry. it never finishes. just restrts the up date

Last edited:
Reguardless of what you say MARCg , The olds ui is still much better ,faster and easeier to find a track and run a race than the new rediculously slow and difficult to use (new) so called updated?? Ui. and I think mosr other users do not like the new UI at all. Sorry because this is Just My opinion.

Reguardless of what you say MARCg , The olds ui is still much better ,faster and easeier to find a track and run a race than the new rediculously slow and difficult to use (new) so called updated?? Ui. and I think mosr other users do not like the new UI at all. Sorry because this is Just My opinion.

I was asking a question as to why you "cant" run a race with the the UI when hundreds of other people can perfectly fine, was trying to help you not wanting to know your opinion ;)
You're gonna have to use it sooner or later as the Old UI won't be updated anymore and future advancements will only work with the (new) default UI & Build numbers, so you may as well get used too it sooner rather than later :)

Tbh, I have to agree with Pawgy here. Ever since it was updated I've grown increasingly frustrated with it. My biggest complaint is the insane amount of loading time - 'loading you favorite servers' takes ages, loading the actual server you want into takes ages, loading cars when in the server takes ages, getting out of the server takes ages and to top it all off, you have to wait for the 'loading your favorite servers' when trying to exit the damn thing. And all this on a top end system.
Then there's the navigating. I perfectly know this is very subjective, but its extremely un-intuitive. I frequently utter swear-words when I'm stuck for the 10000th time trying to find something basic that was easily found in the old UI, even when that was new.

I'm on the brink of activating the old UI, the only thing keeping me is an answer to this question; if I do, will I be able to play the game (singleplayer/multiplayer) without getting errors in the future?

And folks have to understand, NOTHING more will be done for the old UI. If they come up with a new feature, a new thingamajig, whatever, it will be for the Web-based UI only. Comp System is the first thing you can't do with the old UI, there will be more... and yeah, as Marc says, he and many others can run races using either UI. Plenty of folks have had problems with the Web UI, but most of those are solved by the users, not from a hotfix by S397. So like the old UI, use the old UI, just don't expect anything beyond Jan 2021 working. Fortunately, those who play solo can use the old UI relatively risk free as long as they use old content.
@Jan Larsen Choose one server, choose the one with the lowest ping, passworded or not. then ignore it. It should load relatively quickly if it doesn't have to SEARCH thru all the servers. You can avoid the Multiplayer side of the race screen by sticking only to the solo side, then the favorite server will only appear once as you navigatge to the single player tab. And yes, you CAN use the old UI, as stated above, but any new feature, even if not used by you could cause problems. So if you stick to pre Jan 2021 content, you can happily go off and use the old UI. Of course, especially concerning DLC content, cars & tracks are often updated so something that used to work may, AT SOME POINT, no longer function, then find a mirror.

Last edited:
I'm on the brink of activating the old UI, the only thing keeping me is an answer to this question; if I do, will I be able to play the game (singleplayer/multiplayer) without getting errors in the future?

Firstly pick any Server and make it as your Favourite that will speed up the time it takes "loading fave servers", a nuisance I agree. As for your question probably not no, as above future content/build updates may not be backwards compatible with the Old UI so you'll miss out on stuff.

I get that for some people the "new" UI isn't great and I fully understand that change is sometimes never good (!), but simple fact is it will be expanded upon and made better into the future. You may as well bite the bullet now and get used too it and take advantage of what extra it brings vs the Old UI already.

General question for all (not solely directed at you);
Ask yourself, do you ever buy a Racing Simulator based on what the UI is like? I bet the answer is No because you're far more interested in the Driving right?! At the end of the day it's just a UI, once you get used to the difference it's all pretty damn easy just like any other UI out there and believe you me I've seen far far worse for games, never stopped me enjoying the actual gameplay though in those and there's no reason why this UI should stop you from enjoying Driving in RF2. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for al the nice responses. I never run any server. or multiplayer. and i am trying to like and further try the new game. I am very sorry but I am stil going back to the old way of starting and running the game simply because i can get to the track much quicker with a variety of cars and tracks than i can with all the changes. An already slow starting game on my machine is much slower with the changes. I am trying to be fair and not put down all the hard working efforts of the developers but it is just not as good now as it was before the changes.

btw ,if the old ui stops working i guess Ill just have to give up on rf2.i have 4 other race games that run very nice. And i am 86 years old and should stop playing these silly race games anyways

Last edited:
Thanks for al the nice responses. I never run any server. or multiplayer. and i am trying to like and further try the new game. I am very sorry but I am stil going back to the old way of starting and running the game simply because i can get to the track much quicker with a variety of cars and tracks than i can with all the changes. An already slow starting game on my machine is much slower with the changes. I am trying to be fair and not put down all the hard working efforts of the developers but it is just not as good now as it was before the changes.

I still suggest give it a go and try to actually use it for a while. Whenever software is changed, people always complain it's worse and most of the time it's not, it's because they are used to the old system. I guarantee that if it was the other way around, going from the new UI to the old, people would also complain.

There are some real issues with the new UI, don't get me wrong, but mostly it's just people not being familiar with it and automatically rejecting it.

General question for all (not solely directed at you);
Ask yourself, do you ever buy a Racing Simulator based on what the UI is like? I bet the answer is No because you're far more interested in the Driving right?! At the end of the day it's just a UI, once you get used to the difference it's all pretty damn easy just like any other UI out there and believe you me I've seen far far worse for games, never stopped me enjoying the actual gameplay though in those and there's no reason why this UI should stop you from enjoying Driving in RF2. :)
It is not about getting used to something. It is about having to endure bad design that can not be helped by learning to use the thing efficiently. Rf2 is the cathedral of bad design in simracing and almost everything is in some ways weird, slow and just badly done. When a new ui is made for the game the very least people should expect is similar level of usability and functionality as the old ui. Even that basic expectation was not met with this... thing.

But of course nobody is going to stop playing a game because of bad ui. But in case of rf2 with its so many flaws and utterly horrible design decisions it is yet another nail in the coffin which will turn away people from it, as it has over the years. If there is one thing rf2 needs less is annoyances. Does user experience mean anything at isi/s397?

Other games have bad ui as well. Acc for example has quite a few annoyances but at least it is snappy and it actually works fine and fast "once you get used to it". One can tell they just copy paste buttons all over the place and don't care about having relevant information available or have any sort of consistency. But at the same time the snappy ue4 engine saves them and he bad design is mostly something that can be memorized. Whereas in rf2 the bad slow code makes the bad design even worse. Rf2 ui stays bad no matter how used to it you get. It is still slow cumbersome mess that needed a dozen hotfixes like a year ago. But no, nobody will stop playing a sim just because of bad menus. It does all add up tho.

It's badly coded full stop.
In VR the white is blinding and the flickering when another screen loads is enough to induce a seizure and everything is just so so slow.
I hope someone can mod the new UI to at least have a dark mode, white in VR or on an ultrawide monitor is just NOT restfull on the eyes.

Have to admit I've lost interest in rF2 for awhile now. Had tried the new UI when it was still in beta. Tried it just after it was made v1.0 release and all that was wrong with the beta is still there. Funny that.

Read a thread in another forum about mod able games/sims, racing sims. Read 5 pages off comments and rF2 didn't even crack a mention. rFactor did. All the new UI has achieves is making modding harder or maybe not harder but added a lot more work on top off what already is a large project.

Be careful if you want to go to the Studio stupid forum to complain, they'll just ban you for some fake reason just to shut you up.

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 92 91.1%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 28 27.7%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 33 32.7%