1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

What next for Williams?

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Chris Hempsall, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Chris Hempsall

Chris Hempsall

With Chavez gone, will the new guy keep bankrolling Maldonado? He's worth $30million a year to Williams.

2. I think this puts pressure on Maldonado as Williams have probably received 2013's funding but he will need to show that he is good enough to be kept in F1 on talent alone. :)

3. I´m not sure but i think his win has sort of legitimized him as a certified F1 driver.
    I bet Frank Williams has him close to heart as well considering he took Williams first win for many years.

4. Though I'm not sure Frank was impressed by him losing more than a race win-worth of points due to crashes.

5. Chris Hempsall

Chris Hempsall

It's no secret Williams have been struggling to find sponsors after RBS went down the pan. I think this will be a massive hit to them. And if Maldonado has legitimized himself as an F1 driver, then it'll cost to keep him with no sponsorship.

6. If Maldonado does lose his sponsorship I could see Williams falling back and becoming back-markers, I don't think anybody would want to see that.

7. Chris Hempsall

Chris Hempsall

That's what I'm worried about. If they can't replace the sponsorship they'll really struggle.

8. Well, they could go for for Kartikeyan :roflmao:

9. Chris Hempsall

Chris Hempsall

You say that us a joke, but.......:sick:

10. Yes, it would be a real shame for the sport if they were to fall back but at least they have the best part of a year to find a big sponsor.

11. Apparently they have a five-year contract with Venezuela which is "watertight" and not dependent on Chavez being alive. (Source: http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/...-maldonado-trauert-mit-venezuela-6742029.html (German))
    Money you are guaranteed to get is always better than money you might win.

12. Just read that story myself. What a bad time for the William's gang.​