1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

What is your locale famous for?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Mohameddo-san, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Mohameddo-san

Mohameddo-san
    F1 Sim Racer & #1 St. Bernard Lover on RD Premium Member

I live in Deep South Alabama. This region of the state is famous for this:

http://nationalpeanutfestival.com/

Nearby Dothan is known as the "Peanut Capital of the World". However, that is nothing compared to what makes my other locale famous...

I have also lived in Mobile, Alabama for the first 16 years of my life, and, a decade ago, the city gained its 15 minutes of international fame because of a certain Irish folklore *facepalm* LAWL!:

2. Andrew

Andrew
    Global Moderator Staff Premium Member

MAINZ-Germany

Johannes Gutenberg

Known for The invention of the movable-type printing press

[​IMG]
    Born Johannes Gensfleisch zur Laden Gutenberg
    c. 1398
    Mainz, Electorate of Mainz
    Died February 3, 1468 (aged 70)
    Mainz, Electorate of Mainz
    Nationality German
    Occupation Engraver, inventor, and printer
    Religion Catholic
    Johannes Gensfleisch zur Laden zum Gutenberg (/joʊˌhɑːnɨs ˈɡuːtənbɛrɡ/ yoh-HAH-nəs GOO-tən-behrɡ; c. 1398 – February 3, 1468) was a German blacksmith, goldsmith, printer, and publisher who introduced printing to Europe. His invention of mechanical movable type printing started the Printing Revolution and is widely regarded as the most important event of the modern period.[1] It played a key role in the development of the Renaissance, Reformation, the Age of Enlightenment, and the Scientific revolution and laid the material basis for the modern knowledge-based economy and the spread of learning to the masses.[2]

With his invention of the printing press, Gutenberg was the first European to use movable type printing, in around 1439. Among his many contributions to printing are: the invention of a process for mass-producing movable type; the use of oil-based ink; and the use of a wooden printing press similar to the agricultural screw presses of the period. His truly epochal invention was the combination of these elements into a practical system that allowed the mass production of printed books and was economically viable for printers and readers alike. Gutenberg's method for making type is traditionally considered to have included a type metal alloy and a hand mould for casting type. The alloy was a mixture of lead, tin, and antimony that melted at a relatively low temperature for faster and more economical casting, cast well, and created a durable type.

In Renaissance Europe, the arrival of mechanical movable type printing introduced the era of mass communication which permanently altered the structure of society. The relatively unrestricted circulation of information—including revolutionary ideas—transcended borders, captured the masses in the Reformation and threatened the power of political and religious authorities; the sharp increase in literacy broke the monopoly of the literate elite on education and learning and bolstered the emerging middle class. Across Europe, the increasing cultural self-awareness of its people led to the rise of proto-nationalism, accelerated by the flowering of the European vernacular languages to the detriment of Latin's status as lingua franca. In the 19th century, the replacement of the hand-operated Gutenberg-style press by steam-powered rotary presses allowed printing on an industrial scale, while Western-style printing was adopted all over the world, becoming practically the sole medium for modern bulk printing.[3]

The use of movable type was a marked improvement on the handwritten manuscript, which was the existing method of book production in Europe, and upon woodblock printing, and revolutionized European book-making. Gutenberg's printing technology spread rapidly throughout Europe and later the world.

His major work, the Gutenberg Bible (also known as the 42-line Bible), has been acclaimed for its high aesthetic and technical quality.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    SOURCE:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johannes_Gutenberg

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  3. Dennis Phelan

Dennis Phelan
    more about staying on track. Premium Member

4. Andy Jackson

Andy Jackson
    Sponsored by BRUT Premium Member

• Like Like x 1
  5. Levis, Quebec. Known to have the single most pitiful cop in existence. He is said to have given tickets to over 1000 cars with a modified exhaust system.

6. Andrew

Andrew

7. Calum McLure

Calum McLure
    Did ye, aye? Premium Member

Glasgow, a lot :D

My favorite is the Glasgow Kiss though(google it)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Andrew

Andrew

Ouch, that hurts Calum. :p [​IMG] We call it the Horse Kiss here in Germany...lol.

9. Andy Jackson

Andy Jackson

In case you didn't know, Wales is part of the British Empire. Some could say that we are the British Empire. Ever watched Zulu?
    :laugh:

10. Andrew

Andrew

I know that Wales is a part of England @Emerson Fattibaldi . I am longer on this earth as you think I am. I made a joke. You do know what a joke is?

11. Calum McLure

Calum McLure
    Did ye, aye? Premium Member

Might want to check that sentence before you cause a meltdown :laugh:

12. Andy Jackson

Andy Jackson

You what? Are you serious? Germans don't do jokes do they? But I didn't know you didn't go to school. :mad: :rolleyes: I suggest you do some night schooling on Geography and History.

On a side note isn't Germany just a part of Austria? :rolleyes: ;)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  13. xnorb

xnorb
    Premium Member

So awesome reading that :D

What's Vienna famous for?
    The list is too long :D
    Just some names:
    Klimt, Lauda, Strauss, Schrödinger, Waltz...

• Like Like x 1
  14. Manuel De Samaniego

Manuel De Samaniego
    3X Race Department Rally Champion

Mainly this

• Like Like x 2
  15. Jimlaad43

Jimlaad43
    Nice apex, I'll take it! Premium Member

Ancient and Famous University, car manufacture and a comma.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Hiroshi Awazu

Hiroshi Awazu
    Off Topic Moderator

Beautiful women, great eats everywhere, Okanagan wine country, great local microbreweries, Whistler, Blackcomb, Grouse, Cypress and Seymour mountains and lots of nice cars :D Ok and the scenery is not bad as well.
    PicsArt_1438743745322.jpg
    IMG_20150804_175012.jpg

17. JeffL

JeffL
    Right on Brother, I hear ya, it's all good. Premium Member

I live in Alabama soooo..... I guess Stormcloak-Lion:D

• Haha Haha x 1
  18. JeffL

JeffL
    Right on Brother, I hear ya, it's all good. Premium Member

19. Dennis Phelan

Dennis Phelan
    more about staying on track. Premium Member

Well, thanks for stopping bye, oh maybe you have time for a burger at Louis' ? It's not fast food :)

20. Mohameddo-san

Mohameddo-san
    F1 Sim Racer & #1 St. Bernard Lover on RD Premium Member

A bit late replying to you, but, I loathe being famous. :p