WEC: Audi to Leave Championship at end of 2016 Season

Leave.png

After weeks of rampant speculation Audi have finally confirmed that they will be withdrawing from the WEC at the end of the 2016 season to instead focus fully on Formula E.

Audi's CEO, Rupert Stadler, made the announcement to 300 employees of Audi's motorsport department on Wednesday morning, pinpointing the reasoning behind their withdrawal on the 'current burdens on the brand', as well as emphasizing the importance of focusing 'on the things that would keep Audi competitive in the years ahead.'

Audi's greater commitment in Formula E has already begun this season as their cooperation with Team ABT intensified over the summer break, however Racedepartment understands that from 2017 onward Audi will begin to actively join in the technical development of the team.

Audi's departure from the WEC certainly marks the end of one of the most successful eras in endurance racing history. Having returned to Le Mans 18 years ago Audi have won an remarkable thirteen 24 Heures du Le Mans in that time, as well as setting several records along the way, for example becoming the first hybrid powered entry to win Le Mans amongst others. Meanwhile, across the pond Audi won nine consecutive ALMS championships from 2000 to 2008 before the introduction of the WEC in 2012.

Whilst the WEC has bitten the dust Audi's commitment to DTM remains unchanged, however their rather limited commitment to the World Rallycross Championship under the guise of EKS is still up in the air seemingly dependent on whether Rallycross also follows Formula E down the all electrical route.

As of yet their is no word of where any of Audi's current LMP1 driver lineup will be heading next season, but with drivers such as Andre Lotterer, Benoit Treluyer, and Loic Duval now seemingly surplus to requirements it will be fascinating to see if any of Audi's now former WEC rivals will take the plunge.

Read more about the WEC and join the discussion in our World Endurance Championship sub forum here at RaceDepartment.

Last edited by a moderator:
That seriously sucks!!! After the epic race at Fuji with all 3 manufacturers battling it out next year was looking better then ever for WEC, really disappointed by this news.

Even Rebellion is dropping down to lmp2 and with Webber retiring WEC is unfortunately coping blow after blow. :(

Very sad news. I hope it is the wake up call the ACO needs to make LMP1 more appealing for manufacturers and sort out the atrocious LMP1-H class.

k_badam

Yer Nan
rip gg :( :( :( :(

Audi was always my second favourite team behind Toyota, sad to see them go, now we are left with Porsche, Toyota and Bykolles, not that good....

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Really sad news. For quite a while now WEC looked to be on the up and up, now with this announcement and various other little things it seems like that momentum is grinding to a stop.

WEC is / could / should be an epic class of racing, and an ideal proving ground for the car manufacturers to showcase new, road relevant tech. The format is great, the racing is great, they have Le Mans, great tracks (mostly), epic drivers and everything they need. Sadly it looks like money is killing it, as it always does in sport, and that makes my soul hurt.

I hope the series can pick itself up from this, but one has to wonder. If Audi, who are an endurance mainstay since forever, feel the series isn’t a viable option anymore, what of Porsche and others?? Not encouraging news.

I'm sad now. Let's hope one of the sims can get a cheap LMP1 licence from Audi :D

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 93 19.1%
  • €151-500

Votes: 128 26.2%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 85 17.4%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 43 8.8%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 49 10.0%
  • €3001-5000