1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

(Virtual LAN) Dedicated Server

Discussion in 'RACE 07 - Official WTCC Game' started by Dietmar, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Dietmar

Dietmar
    Premium Member

Hi all,

I am currently playing a little bit around (interesting with what one can kill the time when the wife is out *lol*) and am wondering when you try to connect to a LAN game, does is search for Dedicated Servers in the LAN. Do the IP addresses need to fulfill certain requirements?

Currently my PC is on 192.168.178.xyz I have a virtual machine running (that I can reach through virtual adapters) on 10.0.2.xyz, but the game does not find the Server. The server is configured as LAN game. When I define it as Internet server it appears in the Lobby.

Any idea? (The internet server is not an option for various reasons, one is I am behind a proxy, I just dont want to think about the NAT rules).

Thanks!

2. I would guess that when the game searches the LAN for servers, it broadcasts on a certain UDP port and waits for responses. Unfortunately broadcasts are restricted to the local subnet so your server on 10.x.x.x will never see them. If it was on 192.168.178.x, it would.

3. Dietmar

Dietmar
    Premium Member

Thanks, something like that I was assuming... need to look into reconfiguring the IP :)

4. Dietmar

Dietmar
    Premium Member

Furher investigated on this, no it is not an issue with the subnet. Both are now in 192.168.178.x still no connection.

Just to be sure I disabled the firewalls on both boxes, no connection.

5. Abdul Al-Amry

Abdul Al-Amry
    2011 RD Indy 500 Winner

Try mapping the UDP/TCP ports in your router settings to the dedicated server ip address.

6. Router ports that must be open for LAN:

TCP+UDP 48942 - 48957 and UDP 48958-48973

For internet:

TCP+UDP 48942 – 48957 and UDP 26900-26907

I find it's best to open them all, even if you're just doing LAN. Just set the server settings to LAN, but open all ports on the router.

7. If both machines are in the same subnet, the router should be irrelevant. Has the windows firewall been disabled on both machines?

8. Even on the same subnet, those LAN ports need to be open. Without them open, your guests can see the server, but it says 5000 ping and they can't join.

9. You're right, It should work if you were in offline mode.

But the game still uses some kind of online authentication or something. That is why it needs the ports forwarded.

10. Dietmar

Dietmar
    Premium Member

OK, I got working what I wanted, but....

The only way so far is, defining the Server as an internet server, opening the ports and forward them to the IP of the server. I can connect through the general lobby and get very low pings (so seems it is really internal 10ms).

But I would have expected that I could define a LAN server (as this is also an option on the Dedicated Server) and find it in game through the LAN Game option. But that I did not manage :(.

Anyway...