1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

PC Video settings for AMD GPU user

Discussion in 'Project CARS' started by Cote Dazur, May 11, 2015.

1. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur
    AC Addict

I would be grateful if someone who has spent some time optimizing his settings with performance in mind (fps) on an AMD card, as it seems NVidia is in a better situation at this point in time, would share its findings. Share in PM please if you don't feel like justifying anything in a public thread, I will not comment.
    I have a R9 270 X, Would like to have a nice compromise favoring FPS without loosing all PCars graphic appeal. I have to admit that having to restart the game everytime you change something in the graphics is a major PITA.:rolleyes:
    To the WMD/Pcars fans, I don't care if it is AMD fault if it does not work so well, my GPU works well with the other SIM(s) I play, this situation is mostly damaging to PCars, as it is not good enough that I have any inclination to change my GPU brand.

2. I have been using a powercolor devil 270x, but today 13/05/15 I have replaced it with a gigabyte G1 gaming GTX 970, the performance is way way better, all settings high/ultra and capped at a solid 60fps. When using the R9 270x I got 60fps by setting everything to mid and environment to low. My CPU is amd fx 6300 at 4.51GHZ so as not to bottleneck the GPU, 16 gig ram. Hope this is some use to you

3. Frank

Frank
    Administrator Staff Premium Member

The current issue is actually an AMD problem, the current driver creates too much CPU overhead so they will have to fix it. The Windows 10 drivers actually provide up to 30 more fps, since the issue is mostly fixed there, but not optimized yet. AMD is expected to release a new driver for it soon.
    Also some tracks, weather conditions and the amount of AI contribute to drops in FPS, for example, I have a 290X, with my current settings I run around 140 fps, when you add AI (35 AI) and weather to that mix I get 40 fps on the pit straight and around 60 on the rest of the track.

This might help you on your way:
    This is written by Aldo Zampatti at the official forums.

• Like Like x 3
    • Beer Beer x 1
  4. Angeltheartist

Angeltheartist
    Premium Member

This may be a temporary fix but i switched from the Omega Driver to 15.4 driver (2xVapor X R9290 non X) This driver was made for GTA 5 and also Dirt Rally and I must say night and day . I'm still playing around with visual settings at the moment my setting are mostly on and grass off , shadow ultra ,car reflections medium , bloom on . Anyway what im saying is with this driver it is running smoothly . Of course reducing any of the effects will give you better FPS so just play with the settings as I did . 15.4 driver is much better than the Omega driver.

5. You realize you're comparing a $140 video card to a $330 video card? To counter that, a 290 can outperform a 970 on BF4 when using Mantle instead of DX11.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Angeltheartist

Angeltheartist
    Premium Member

I am not trying to compete with any cards just sharing what i did to get better performance with my setup while AMD fixes the issues. I am also a unhappy AMD gpu user . Use my input if you want to , I wont loose any sleep either way.

7. You know I was replying to the other guy, right? I don't want you to think I was dismissing what you said.

8. Connor Caple

Connor Caple
    Slowest Racer in Town...

There are specific Windows 10 drivers? I could only find 8.1 drivers for my W10-64 setup.

EDIT: AMD-Catalyst-15.4Beta-64Bit-Win8.1-Apr9 is the best available and doesn't assist framerates at all on my Radeon card compared to Windows 7.

9. Howard

Howard
    Staff Emeritus | F1 Engineer Premium Member

From what I've read online it's not a driver issue at all - the game uses PhysX for it's physics, which doesn't run on AMD cards.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Frank

Frank

You can only get the drivers via Windows update on a Windows 10 system.

Edit: Right from the AMD website:

"Q: Which graphics driver should I use for my AMD Radeon™ GPU or AMD APU?

A: Microsoft has indicated that updated device drivers are not required at this time, as existing device drivers are compatible with the Windows® 10 technical preview. AMD Radeon™ graphics and accelerated processing unit customers should use the latest available drivers from Windows Update until official Windows 10 driver support is posted on amd.com at a later date." "

You should uninstall the 15.4 beta drivers, as they will decrease your performance.

The game doesn't use PhysX, all physics are ran on the CPU. This is done because the consoles run AMD hardware too. It simply is a CPU overhead issue.

11. Howard

Howard

Nvidia have said that the game uses PhysX for particle modeling, and a couple other Nvidia products for other bits and pieces. http://physxinfo.com/news/11822/sta...clude-gpu-accelerated-physx-and-apex-effects/

On very high or ultra settings I get very poor FPS, considering my hardware (4GB 290X OC, i5@4.6GHz, 16GB RAM), it should play this easily near enough full settings. I can run literally any game, including 'next-gen' stuff like Advanced Warfare and GTAV completely maxed out and get a solid 60fps, but this runs at around 30 even on high settings. The massive amount of Nvidia advertising makes me question about SMS's motives (again).

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Frank

Frank

I am running on modded Windows 10 drivers, my gains were about 30 fps. My setup is almost identical to yours.

13. Howard

Howard

I'm on Windows 7, does this have anything to do with it do you think?

14. Frank

Frank

Yep, like I said, the current Windows 7 and 8 drivers have a CPU overhead issue. In the Windows 10 drivers, this is partly fixed. I run Windows 7 aswell, but I installed modded Windows 10 drivers to get partly around the problem, but as they are modded drivers, I won't recommend it.
    New drivers should be released in the coming week by AMD for pCars.

15. So does this mean fps gains from new drivers will be limited?

16. Frank

Frank

No, it means you are probably gaining quite a bit.

17. Angeltheartist

Angeltheartist
    Premium Member

Sorry Mark I jumped the gun on that one ! I'm still an unhappy AMD user until they fix the issues with this game. Again my apologies.

18. Connor Caple

Connor Caple
    Slowest Racer in Town...

I'll go boot Windows 10 up and try going back to the MS drivers, but I really don't understand why they'd be better than the beta ones. Desperation is helping me accept the idea though :roflmao:

19. PhysX is still running on the cpu. If you enable the physX on screen display in 3D settings > Show PhysX visual indicator you will see that it's running on the cpu even after making the gpu the main PhysX processor.

My opinion on the game is that it's way too heavy on the cpu when comparing it to Assetto Corsa.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. -fpscap 60

Does this setting result in an input lag like VSync? (with steering wheel)