Varjo Aero

Another member in the “Best VR Headsets” discussion thread asked if I would write a few words about my experiences with the Varjo Aero VR headset that I got it a few months ago. (BTW I have a 3090, 19-11900 based system)

I had originally owned a Vive and then moved to a Rift S. My next step was going to be an Index but it was not initially available in Canada… and then I “just” about pulled the trigger on the G2. My concern with the G2 was the sweet spot issues that some, but certainly not all, experienced. Given that I am a race sim and flight sim guy when the Aero was announced it seemed logical to me as it met most of my requirements. It took about 3 months to arrive.

The first thing that struck me when I put it on was the clarity. Up came the Windows desktop and it was vivid. No pixilation, no screen door effect, no blurriness etc… it was just a perfectly clear desktop at a very high resolution. The headset does have an automatic IPD setup so you are ready to go as soon as you put it on. The second thing that struck me was the brightness and colour. My other headsets all had slightly muted or duller colours - this certainly did not - a bright strong picture. The third thing that quickly dawned on me was that there was no sweet spot. None. It was all one contiguous clear view.

Before I discuss any sims let me point out two other things. I certainly do not want to portray this as perfect because nothing is. So let me discuss 3 things, two of which have a happy ending. After some use I noted 3 things 1) Some barrel distortion 2) some chromatic aberration 3) A slightly smaller vertical FOV that I expected. I need not dwell on points 1 and 2 as a software update a week ago (version 3.5 of their Base software) took care of them for me. I now have no distortion and the chromatic aberration is 98% gone. And there are more software updates to come as this is still a new device. The device does have a slightly narrower vertical FOV than my Rift S but the horizontal feels the same. Small price to pay for the clarity I see but hopefully someday we will have it all.

Performance was my next concern. With this high resolution (the default is high - but you can set it up or down) was I going to suffer performance loss? The answer is no. On every app to date I have either held constant or gained on the performance of my previous headsets. Microsoft Flight Simulator was the most extreme example given that it uses OpenXR rather than OpenVR. With the Rift S I was suffering some stuttering issues even with a 3090. I used the same settings with the Aero at a higher resolution and it was smooth as butter. I have yet to run a sim at high settings and have a performance issue with my setup and the Aero. I am sure I could max things out in a given sim and experience issues but on more than acceptable settings it is just fine.

First sim I tried was Automobilista 2. The VR implementation I knew to be good from my past experience with the Rift S. It turned out to be wonderful from all points of view. I have spent more time in it than any other sim to date. I then tried the original Assetto Corsa - it too was wonderful. My third sim was ACC and I left it to third for a reason. I dearly love the sim but the VR implementation has never really got there. Don’t get me wrong it ran very smoothly and looked OK on the Aero but I am afraid the graphics of the VR implementation just will never be up there with the others. I then moved on to my flight sims and if you use MSFS 2020, DCS or IL2 you are in for a treat (it saved MSFS for me). I have also tried Alyx and it was a treat and a joy to see it like this.

Anyway… sorry for rambling on but as you can tell I am having fun. I have an RSeat with all the appropriate Racing and Flight/HOTAS peripherals and the Aero was the one thing that put the icing on the cake.

Performance was my next concern. With this high resolution (the default is high - but you can set it up or down) was I going to suffer performance loss? The answer is no. On every app to date I have either held constant or gained on the performance of my previous headsets. Microsoft Flight Simulator was the most extreme example given that it uses OpenXR rather than OpenVR. With the Rift S I was suffering some stuttering issues even with a 3090. I used the same settings with the Aero at a higher resolution and it was smooth as butter. I have yet to run a sim at high settings and have a performance issue with my setup and the Aero. I am sure I could max things out in a given sim and experience issues but on more than acceptable settings it is just fine.
Thanks for the review, unsurprisingly, you are satisfied with the headset.

What i am having a hard time to swallow though is that you are stating you get same or better performance on every sim you tried. The Aero has 68% more pixels to drive than my G2 and even with that one, managing resolution and oversampling is the main contributor to good/bad performance on my 3080.

I know there is a whole bunch of parameters to consider when comparing VR performance on different hardware, but this needs more explanation.

Last edited:
Very nice review, thanks for sharing.

How bad is the FOV? And have you ever tried a wide FOV headset to compare it to?FOV is the sole reason I’ve ignored this headset from day 1 (now purchased a 8KX instead).

What i am having a hard time to swallow though is that you are stating you get same or better performance on every sim you tried. The Aero has 68% more pixels to drive than my G2 and even with that one, managing resolution and oversampling is the main contributor to good/bad performance on my 3080.

I know there is a whole bunch of parameters to consider when comparing VR performance on different hardware, but this needs more explanation.
Your position and points are very logical. That is exactly what I thought when I bought the Aero. What I can tell you, as a user, is that this is what I am experiencing. There are others who I am sure are far more qualified to explain the technical intricacies, and, as a matter of fact I think there are a bunch of discussions on going on some flight sim forums on this matter. Personally, in my sims I have a specific location, setup and settings I use as my benchmarks. In the case of the Aero I went to those places and held my breath as I tried it out at the default high settings. All performed as well if not better - in one case, MSFS, very much better. Now that I think about there was one sim where I did change a setting. In DCS I originally had in-game SS set at 1.3 and I reduced it to 1.0 on someone's recommendation even before I tried the Aero. The sim looks so beautiful and performs so well I never went back and tried any other settings.

But your point is well taken and I hope you find a proper technical explanation as time goes on.

Last edited:
How bad is the FOV? And have you ever tried a wide FOV headset to compare it to?FOV is the sole reason I’ve ignored this headset from day 1 (now purchased a 8KX instead).
The horizontal is fine and is exactly what I expected. The vertical seems slightly less but I have a hard time quantifying it. It is not too bad at all but it feels less that what I had in the Rift S by a small margin. I have not tried a wide FOV headset but I would love too. Mix the quality of the Aero with wide FOV and I think we would all be in a very fine place.

Just got an Aero as well. What are the mods and settings for best visuals vs performance in Assetto Corsa?
I was getting good performance in AC with my system (3090, 19-11900, SSD) before I got the Aero so when I got the Aero I just started it with my same settings and mods. It looked fantastic and performed very well so I have not bothered to tweak or change much. I guess I should do more playing and probably will as time goes on but things are pretty good as they are at the moment. Sorry - not a lot of advice at present

Your G2 uses WMR, while my understanding is that the Aero does not.
Last I knew, WMR imposed a significant processing overhead, compared to other SteamVR HMDs.
Beyond that, G2 Reverbs run slower than G1s, perhaps because more distortion corrections.
I can appreciate that being far from a G2 or alas, WMR fanboy, but 68% more pixels plus "same or better performance" would be close to 2x efficiency, which i can not :)

Last edited:
Your G2 uses WMR, while my understanding is that the Aero does not.
Last I knew, WMR imposed a significant processing overhead, compared to other SteamVR HMDs.
Beyond that, G2 Reverbs run slower than G1s, perhaps because more distortion corrections.
Check out jabbahs hard work with open xr to now bypass steamvr. When kunos said it couldn’t be done he went to work and now has it working in acc, rf2, ets and many more.

Last edited:
@Rearview view How many extra controllers and base stations did you use to get it to work with your sims? I understand that you need to get an additional VIVE controller and base stations.
Now you are talking all upside!

I LOVE my Valve Index hand controllers and the base stations which give me MUCH more accurate tracking than any inside out tracking system on the market.

If you enjoy room scale games like I do, this is the best of the best especially for things like shooting accuracy.

Last edited:
Why ooh why have i been running my Valve Index with reduced FOV? :rolleyes: (eye relief 5 notches forward)

Seriously considering getting one of these.

With the current gen GPU (rtx3090) or even the next gen GPU it will be a trade between sharpness and FOV.

A VR headset with the (overall) sharpness of the Varjo Areo and a bigger FOV would at least take a Nvidia 5 or 6 GPU to make it run acceptable.

The Varjo Areo ticks all my boxes : Steam VR tracking, no audio solution, comfort.
All besides the FOV. Oddly enough when racing with crew chief racing with the smaller FOV is doable.

Still trying to convince my self to take the plunge, because it's a lot of money

I would order it immediately but I has no inside outside tracking.
The odds of a new company pulling off a good onside out tracking system on their own is pretty slim.

Vive's first attempt was pretty bad. Oculus has the best to date and they aren't sharing. That leaves WMR.

Why ooh why have i been running my Valve Index with reduced FOV? :rolleyes: (eye relief 5 notches forward)

Seriously considering getting one of these.

With the current gen GPU (rtx3090) or even the next gen GPU it will be a trade between sharpness and FOV.

A VR headset with the (overall) sharpness of the Varjo Areo and a bigger FOV would at least take a Nvidia 5 or 6 GPU to make it run acceptable.

The Varjo Areo ticks all my boxes : Steam VR tracking, no audio solution, comfort.
All besides the FOV. Oddly enough when racing with crew chief racing with the smaller FOV is doable.

Still trying to convince my self to take the plunge, because it's a lot of money
If the sims got updated to use the eye tracked foveated rendering the Varjo has then we could easily run it now on most of the higher end GPU’s of the last few years. As soon as one of the mainstream manufacturers start using it and push devs to implement it or provide a toolset to do so then it will dramatically lower the current extreme cost of VR resolution.

I’m tempted but stuck with a 1080Ti and 13 year old i7 3930k for now, out of principal I’m not going to be extorted for a 20xx or 30xx series GPU and I’ve just stopped even looking so not enough juice to run one of them.

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea