1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V8 Supercars: Volvo Plays Down Rumours

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by RaceDepartment, Jun 9, 2013.

1. RaceDepartment

RaceDepartment
    Administrator Staff

View the Post on the Blog

2. Bram

Bram
    Roaring Pipes Maniacs | #27 Staff Premium Member

I hope they will enter. Would be great to have a Volvo touring car racing again in one of the premier tintop series.

Not sure what kind of engine they would use as V8 is not really their thing :)

3. The rules require it to be naturally-aspirated 5.0 litre V8. So it would be a V8. However, it doesn't matter if the road car doesn't use a V8 (I'm guessing it doesn't), or at least not anymore - that was one of the changes made with the new COTF rules. A sensible move I think, seeing as V8s are dropping in popularity in 'normal' (i.e. non-super-/sports-/muscle-) cars.

4. Bram

Bram
    Roaring Pipes Maniacs | #27 Staff Premium Member

But does Volvo build V8 engines at all? I think even the US models are max a 5 cylinder. Or maybe a purpose build racing engine just for the series?

5. Ehh... I am pretty sure they have at least 1 model with a Yamaha V8 motor in it. See here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_B8444S_engine ;)

6. Aidan Keranen

Aidan Keranen
    #4 2KF1 Racing RDGPC|LoL/RL Caster@AussieGamingTV Premium Member

i believe V8SC were looking at getting a company to produce a 'generic' V8 engine of sorts, so companies can bring a chassis and a (hopefully) top engine is already available to them for usage

7. Aidan Keranen

Aidan Keranen

sorry, I double posted.
    but I did also find this out:
    http://www.foxsports.com.au/motor-s...-17/story-fn2ms9um-1226659377567#.UbUou_B-_IU
    7th paragraph in it talks of a generic engine based on a Chevy LS3. so namely they wouldn't have to if they didn't really want to

• Like Like x 2
  8. Warren Dawes

Warren Dawes
    Premium Member

Looks like the worst kept secret may be confirmed officially today. ;)

Volvo technical staff were present at the Hidden Valley Round yesterday, and they have announced a press release for later today.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Yves Larose

Yves Larose
    Premium Member

i think Volvo would be a great addition, on another note last year safety car was Nissan GTR and they are in the serie today. this year safety car is a Chrysler so i'm wondering if they will join the serie next year and its the best kept secret so far :rolleyes:

10. Aidan Keranen

Aidan Keranen

maybe both? Volvo tomorrow, Chrysler in the next 6 months? (although they are running out of teams to work with...)

11. Warren Dawes

Warren Dawes
    Premium Member

• Like Like x 1
  12. Yves Larose

Yves Larose
    Premium Member

it's not a big surprise after all that was said during this week-end broadcast :roflmao: it will still be nice to have Volvo in the serie tho and i like to beleive that they will be competitive right from the start, they have plenty of time to develop the car.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Yves Larose

Yves Larose
    Premium Member

i did a little exercise and here's the 2014 teams and manifacturers as of now.

Holden
    -Triple Eight Engineering (2 cars)
    -Holden Racing Team (3 cars)
    -Tony D'alberto Racing (1 car)
    -Tekno Autosports (2 cars)
    -Lucas Dumbrell Motorsport (2 cars)
    -Brad Jones Racing (3 cars)

Ford
    -Ford Performance Racing (4 cars)
    -Dick Jonhson Racing (2 cars)

Nissan
    -Nissan Motorsport (4 cars)

Mercedes
    -Erebus Motorsport (3 cars)

Volvo
    -Garry Rogers Motorsport (2 cars)

so we have the 28 drivers but as you can see many teams still use the Holden so one of them could easely go to Chrysler for next year, the three last team in the list using the Holden now could have a huge benefit to switch to Chrysler.

what i would like to see is an almost even number of cars by manifacturer, so if Erebus would take Tony D'Alberto Racing under its wing and one other team could be tempted to go with Volvo lets say Lucas Dumbrell Motorsport and lets say Tekno Autosports and Brad Jones Racing would go for Chrysler it would look like this

Holden 5 cars
    Ford 6 cars
    Nissan 4 cars
    Mercedes 4 cars
    Volvo 4 cars
    Chrysler 5 cars

that would be an awesome picture :) but i ever doudt that my scenario will ever come close to be realize :roflmao:

14. Aidan Keranen

Aidan Keranen

I reckon Brad Jones is the next to jump ship to a new maker, they might get Chrysler (they have also worked with Audi...), otherwise D'Alberto is in with HRT/Walkinshaw, and both LDR and Tekno have Triple Eight, so they wouldn't move, they have great cars and no real facilities for a new car.
    so that leaves the ford cars. they're losing the falcon in 2016, and Ford in Aus is making no sudden movements to attempt to reassure anyone that they'll continue beyond (fusion perhaps?). FPR were rumoured to be getting BMW lined up, and Dick Johnson has mentioned they'll move manufacturers if Ford pull out.
    all in all, there may be no privateers in a few years :O_o: (I think I'm assuming too much :roflmao:)

15. Aidan Keranen

Aidan Keranen