F1 2013 Using more fuel in 2013?

F1 2013 The Game (Codemasters)
Hello to all.
I am in Career using the Caterham, and in a 25% race with fuel on Standard mix, I find that I will run out of fuel sometimes on the last lap, if I don't watch it carefully and change to "Lean" for a lap. Never using "Rich setting" at all.

This never happened in the other year's titles. Sorry if this has been covered. I did a search before posting. Am I correct? Is it because I might be overreving the engine sometimes, or have the wrong gear settings. Platform is the 360, btw. Thank you.

When you select your race strategy there are 2 things you can do.

1/ Adjust your stints so you control what lap you carry out your pit stop(s), and what tyres you fit. Or you can leave at default.

2/ You can select your fuel strategy. There are 3 fuel settings, I can't remember their names off the top of my head, but they will be something like Aggressive, Standard, and Conservative

a/ Aggressive - Your car is well under-fueled - This makes the car lighter and faster, but you will definitely need to use a Lean fuel mix for a fair amount of time during your stints. Too much time at Standard or Rich mix and you will not reach the end of the race

b/ Standard - Your car is slightly under-fueled - The car is heavier and slower, but you can spend most of the time at Standard mix, and use Rich mix now and then, but it is best to spend at least some of the time at Lean mix when additional speed or acceleration is not required.

c/ Conservative - Your car has plenty of fuel, you generally don't have to worry too much (if at all) about your fuel burn. You can spend a lot more time at Rich mix - You start with heaviest and slowest car due to the fuel you are carrying, but don't really have to run a fuel saving strategy.

No matter what you pick before the race, under all modes you will burn more fuel if you always run your engine revs into the purple and especially the red zone. You will save fuel (and tyre wear) if you change gear in the green rev range, or short-shift up to the next gear early when max acceleration isn't required.

You will also save fuel if you coast and use your brakes into corners, rather than rapidly dropping down through the gears, using engine braking. I mean brake heavily and drop the gears appropriately, don't over-rev the engine by trying to use your gears as your main stopping power.

All of the above is dependent on the situation you are in at the time. If you need to get past someone and need rich fuel to do it, then do it. Just try and compensate afterwards, especially if you are short on fuel.

Keep and eye on your OSD, and always trying to keep you fuel remaining counter at +1 Lap throughout the race.

Cheers :)

Thank you for such a detailed well thought out explanation. I definitely am guilty of the "don't do's", like downshifting hard vs. braking and over-reving.

However, with all things being relevant, i.e......... I have been doing these bad habits since f1 2010. Is it perhaps that F 12013 is catching these things via in game telementry? In other words, the game technology has improved, which is great if so.

Again, Thank you.

Ok, great. I have read over the patches for the 360, but it was nice to see all platform patches included. Thank you for all your help.

I am no perfectionist, and maybe that is why I think this game on the 360 is just fanatastic! I think Codies has always done a great job!

This I found to be a very useful tip. I am just a casual racer and this is great info for my driving style...................

No matter what you pick before the race, under all modes you will burn more fuel if you always run your engine revs into the purple and especially the red zone. You will save fuel (and tyre wear) if you change gear in the green rev range, or short-shift up to the next gear early when max acceleration isn't required.

I tend to be a purple person, it's my nature. However I often short-shift (1st, 2nd, 3rd) coming out of hairpins and chicanes to maintain rear grip, trying not to wheel-spin :)

Actually I rarely use 1st gear, or I lengthen it in the gearbox settings (slider more to the right)

Yea, well I just got caught up in an oxymoron describing my driving style..lol :p I race into corners trying to squesse out every second and then say I race casual. HA Ha. Everyone loves that purple color on the map eh? Thanks for the tips and friendly conversation.;) Happy New Year to all!

On a final note.............

Get well soon Michael. May God touch your body in the most quickest healing, and give your family peace at this difficult time.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • More leagues

Votes: 40 19.1%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.6%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 13 6.2%