Tweak AI starting speed (too slow)

Working on converting an old rfactor 1 mod and one thing i do not know how to fix is the speed the AI takes off at during the race start.
Currently they are so slow that its possible to overtake the entire grid starting from last but once they get up to speed they race at normal, regular pace.
The car is prone to spin its rear tires when starting and im guessing thats were the AI gets its speed limited to prevent any wheelspin from happening.
Now here is hoping that there is a value in one of the files that im unaware of, that will help the AI get to proper speed at the starts, without needing to change any of the car physics :)

In the talent files is a parameter for "Start Skill" you want that to be up around 70-80.
Edit: Didn't notice you were talking about wheel spin off the line, don't think this will help but
maybe it will help others that find this thread. :)

Here is a good thread about talent files for AMS1:

Last edited:
I've set StartSkill to 100 for every driver just to be sure but yeah, that didnt do much
I think its definitely something i would rather have to edit inside the vehicle folder itself, something like the AI values inside the .hdv file

There are some lines in the engine file that might help, but you'll need to do some trial and error to find the best numbers. I can't remember the exact names but take a look in the Caterham 270r folder, open the engine.ini, and there are 3 or 4 lines - launchRPM, traction variables, throttle at start, something along those lines.
I've been experimenting with them myself but not seen a great deal of improvement.

EDIT I checked the lines in the engine file, here they are:
LaunchEfficiency=0
LaunchRPMLogic=(4500,6500)
LaunchVariables=5
AIStartThrottle=(0.15,0.25,0.50,0.75)

Last edited:
In fact the best improvement for AI starts, that I have found so far, is to make my own starts worse rather than trying to make the AI better. I do it by editing the vehicle tbc file (Note this only works in mods, as this file is encrypted and unavailable in the Reiza cars).

Sorry it's a bit long winded.

First you need to copy the hdv file AND tbc file. Rename the copies to a different name, ( eg playervehicle.hdv and playervehicle.tbc)

Decide which particular car you want to drive, and open it's veh file in notepad.

In your chosen veh file, change the hdv line to playervehicle.hdv

In your new playervehicle.hdv file, edit the tire brand line to playervehicle.tbc

Now, when you use this particular vehicle, it will use your renamed hdv file, and also the renamed tyre file. All other cars (the AI) will continue to use their own, unedited, hdv and tyre files.

Now, in the playervehicle.tbc file:

Edit the DryLatLong lines (front and rear). Just lower both of the second numbers (the longitudinal grip), by a SMALL amount, and you will feel the lack of grip as you pull away. You need to experiment to get the right grip reduction for the vehicle, too much and it will obviously affect the drive out of every turn, but if you get it right you notice the reduced grip from the standing start, but hopefully not once you are in motion.

If anybody else has any suggestions for improving the AI starts, please share them here. AMS1 is still my favourite, but the AI starts are a weak spot.

Last edited:
There are some lines in the engine file that might help, but you'll need to do some trial and error to find the best numbers. I can't remember the exact names but take a look in the Caterham 270r folder, open the engine.ini, and there are 3 or 4 lines - launchRPM, traction variables, throttle at start, something along those lines.
I've been experimenting with them myself but not seen a great deal of improvement.

EDIT I checked the lines in the engine file, here they are:
LaunchEfficiency=0
LaunchRPMLogic=(4500,6500)
LaunchVariables=5
AIStartThrottle=(0.15,0.25,0.50,0.75)
Thank you!! those variables helped a lot! i would have never guessed to look inside the engine files for any AI values, in my case the AIStartThrottle was missing in the mod and i guess it defaults to what you wrote.
I added it to the .ini file and set it to (0.55,0.85,0.90,1.0) (not much thinking behind the numbers, just made them bigger lol)
Now while the AI is still not as good as the player they at least do not dump the clutch at low rpm and bog down like before, they actually rev up to rpm with high torque before starting :D

Thank you!! those variables helped a lot! i would have never guessed to look inside the engine files for any AI values, in my case the AIStartThrottle was missing in the mod and i guess it defaults to what you wrote.
I added it to the .ini file and set it to (0.55,0.85,0.90,1.0) (not much thinking behind the numbers, just made them bigger lol)
Now while the AI is still not as good as the player they at least do not dump the clutch at low rpm and bog down like before, they actually rev up to rpm with high torque before starting :D
Yes, that AIStartthrottle line is the only improvement I really noticed, at least I think it is an improvement - I haven't been able to measure it in any way, but you can definitely hear them revving their engines louder at the start than before. I think I set mine around 0.20, 0.45, 0.70, 0.95
Regarding the other lines, I tried several variations - LaunchEfficiency=1; LaunchRPMlogic=(4500, 6500) or (1500, 3500) or (4000, 6000) etc but I never really saw any difference.

Yes, that AIStartthrottle line is the only improvement I really noticed, at least I think it is an improvement - I haven't been able to measure it in any way, but you can definitely hear them revving their engines louder at the start than before. I think I set mine around 0.20, 0.45, 0.70, 0.95
Regarding the other lines, I tried several variations - LaunchEfficiency=1; LaunchRPMlogic=(4500, 6500) or (1500, 3500) or (4000, 6000) etc but I never really saw any difference.
a good way to check for differences is switching to AIs perspective using +/- on the numpad, then you can actually see their throttle input on the UI that usually shows your pedal input

a good way to check for differences is switching to AIs perspective using +/- on the numpad, then you can actually see their throttle input on the UI that usually shows your pedal input
Also, in case you didn't already know about it, press Ctrl + D and it brings up some data on the screen for whichever car you are viewing - fuel load, rpm, tyre wear etc. (only works during live session, not while you are on pit monitor, so you have to go into your cockpit in a live session and then scroll to the other cars for it to work).

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.