Triple Screens

Just setting up 24" triples and have a couple of questions.

1. When i set up the correct FOV and make everything look right i cant see any of the dash of the car is this correct and should i just run a display for the dash?

2. In PC2 i have setup using the inbuilt triple screen and when i have entered all the details the display is completely wrong really zoomed out. If i just uptick the triple screen and use the nvidia setup its fine not sure if its because i have both being used as in nvidia and the PC2 triple setup.

Any help appreciated

Just setting up 24" triples and have a couple of questions.

1. When i set up the correct FOV and make everything look right i cant see any of the dash of the car is this correct and should i just run a display for the dash?
Yes, that is correct. You need at least 27" monitors to see any of the cockpit dash. Use virtual gauges or a dash display.

Upvote 0
2. In PC2 i have setup using the inbuilt triple screen and when i have entered all the details the display is completely wrong really zoomed out. If i just uptick the triple screen and use the nvidia setup its fine not sure if its because i have both being used as in nvidia and the PC2 triple setup.
Are you using multiview triples (with the monitors angled) or flat screen triples (all the monitors in a single plane)?

Upvote 0
ok thanks for the reply thought it might be something to do with size of screen, i can live with running simhub as a display. Regarding PC2 yes using triples with monitors at appx 45 degrees

Upvote 0
Part of setting up proper FOV also involves the angle of the side monitors. There are mathematical formulas to use to figure accurate FOV settings. Do some searches in these forums and you should find it. I first had set up via Project Immersion but after plugging in my numbers in these formulas, I found out my angle and FOV were a bit off. Not by much but after I made the adjustments, it really looks right now. Funny how small adjustments can make such a perceptible change.

Upvote 0
Sadly no current 3D hardware or software supports perspective correction for curved monitors or multiple monitors at angles. You can match the angle of the side monitors by doing some math on the width of the view angle and what a human eye normally as for FOV, but still. You should be able to tell the computer what the curves and monitor angles are and it does the right thing.

Upvote 0
Hmm... but if you set up curved monitors in such a way that the curvature is maintained across all 3, do you set it as one long flat monitor? Never thought of that.

Upvote 0
Hmm... but if you set up curved monitors in such a way that the curvature is maintained across all 3, do you set it as one long flat monitor? Never thought of that.

The picture generated is still a dump flat plane like a camera sensor. If you have a wide field of view it is way too wide to be practical to just ignore the problem. Imagine very wide angle pictures taken with a fisheye lens. If you try to take the same picture (or recompute it) to emulate a regular lens you get into all kinds of distortion problems.

For a wide FOV projected as a flat plane to non-flat screen space around the user it kinda works out if you turn your head, but off-center peripheral vision would need correction. Having said that, if you were to correctly project to the screen space around the user then it would indeed be distorted if the user turns the head.

I guess the VR people have a point.

Upvote 0
Understood. I'm thinking too simplistically.

I hear you about VR but I'm just not sold. I haven't tried sim racing but I did try a demo in a Microsoft Store and I can't see getting past the lack of resolution and narrow fov. Plus, I prefer seeing my own hands and using my button box without feeling around for it, not to mention when having to reach for mouse and/or keyboard. I have no problem being immersed in front of my triple screen setup.

Apologies to the OP for completely derailing your thread.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • More leagues

Votes: 40 19.1%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.6%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • Forum trophies