Triple BTCC Champion Shedden Moves to WTCR?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Shedden Honda BTCC.jpg

Long time Honda driver and triple BTCC champion Gordon Shedden has left Honda Yuasa Racing for a potential drive in the new WTCR series for 2018.

Making the shock decision to walk away from Team Dynamics and the BTCC earlier this week, Shedden looks likely to find a new home on the international stage for 2018 with a potential drive for the crack WRT WTCR outfit, bringing an end to his domestic BTCC career after 10 years, 48 race victories and three drivers championships in the premier British tin top series.

Shedden has experience in TCR specification machinery following his impressive TCR International Series debut at the season closing Dubai Autodrome race weekend, an event where the 38-year-old Scottish driver managed to plant his car on Pole Position before eventually finishing on the second step of the podium, his first race in a TCR car and the first time behind the wheel of the VW Golf of WRT.

Having impressed everyone in his one off appearance last year, it appears the BTCC mainstay has found an opportunity to extend the partnership on a more permanent basis, taking an impressive career onto the professional international stage as he looks to launch an assault on the new for 2018 WTCR, the replacement championship for the long running WTCC now running under TCR specification regulations.

"I will not be racing with Honda and Team Dynamics: they have been part of my life for the last 11 years and I have been made to feel a part of the family.

“Steve and Matt Neal gave me a chance [to join the team] in 2006 and we haven’t looked back since. From a Ford Fiesta racer to a triple British Touring Car champion, I could not have dreamed of the success we have achieved together.

"That success, along with Matt’s three championships, is a testament to the hard work, determination and passion that is intrinsic in the team.”
Shedden is expected to be the latest driver to join the exciting new WTCR series for 2018, and with such an enviable record in tin top machines the likeable Scottish champion is likely to be one of the main contenders for the newly branded series when the cars hit the circuit for the first time later this year..

Shedden Honda BTCC 2.jpg

For more from the world of touring car racing, check out the Motorsport Sub Forum here at RaceDepartment and get involved in the conversation now!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Looking forward to the upcoming new WTCR? Do you think Shedden can perform on the international stage? Let us know in the comments section below!

Picture Credit: Honda BTCC Twitter

Last edited:

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Err thats strange, as he just signed a new contract with TD and Yuasa for 3yrs.

Yeah came as a shock to me too. I think the offer came a little out of the blue for him, and Neal confirmed they didn't want to stand in the way of his "great opportunity".

Shame, his hats and ever present smile annoy me, but damn he's a good driver

Matthew Allington

Wham!ming into Spanish rocks
As usual, the comments section on the BTCC Facebook page is a wretched hive of scum. A lot of the comments there on Shedden leaving the BTCC are absolutely disgusting, the word "cheat" is unreasonably thrown about a lot :thumbsdown:

I used to enjoy the BTCC but it's difficult to follow these days, when every social media post related to the championship is filled with hate-filled comments, in my opinion the worst fandom in all of Motorsport.

Fortunately I know of places like RD where discussion is always more reasonable! :thumbsup:

He's won it all so can't blame him for wanting to do something else (<cough> Jamie Whincup do the same </cough>), sounds like a good opportunity and I wish him all the best.

Ross McGregor

Former Editor of Traxion.GG
Premium
He'll be a contender for the WTCR crown that's for sure. (if that's where he's going) Look what he did in the TCR championship at the end of last year in his first ever event!

James Cook

Marcas fan
He's been a great servant to the BTCC and Honda for so many years. I don't blame him for wanting a fresh challenge. The WTCR is potentially a very exciting championship given the competitiveness of the TCR class and the top touring car talent that will be attracted to it. Shedden will certainly be a contender.

Mark Reynolds

Physics & AI Programmer
Yeah came as a shock to me too. I think the offer came a little out of the blue for him, and Neal confirmed they didn't want to stand in the way of his "great opportunity".

Shame, his hats and ever present smile annoy me, but damn he's a good driver

I met him working at Brands Hatch one year, his smiles and demeanor are nothing more than polished media faces, off the camera and behind the scenes I personally found him arrogant and instantly dislikable, very much like a Scottish version of the equally arrogant and grump Yvan Muller, a stark contrast to someone for example like Tom Coronel or Rob Huff, all of which I have had the pleasure to meet or work with in the past, in fact most of the other WTCC/BTCC guys from back then were really down to earth a nice guys to be around. Maybe he is nicer to his close friends and family.......

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 93 18.7%
  • €151-500

Votes: 132 26.6%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 86 17.3%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 43 8.7%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 50 10.1%
  • €3001-5000