Track grip on a Pathway? 3DSimED

How does one add some track grip to the cobble path next to this track? At the moment path feels like ice and ruins my racing fun :(

20220408-Screenshot (28).jpg

Monaco...
Could be a pesky oilslick..

[ oh, sorry.. we have had it on RedBull, earlier.. help Sergio ! ..
(it was fixed, in an other way) ..]
Hi, Speednut357/Peppelino !

1st) Open the .trk file of the track, go to the location where you want to correct it and find the corresponding .gmt file for that part of the track. Check that the initial letters of the material referring to the effect in the .specialfx.tec file are the same as in other parts of the tracks.

2) If different, put the same as the other parts.

3rd) If it is the same type of material (in this case, the same letters that refer to the effect) and if attempt #2 does not work, you will have to generate a new .HAT file in GTR2 or GTL with the .GMT file previously changed .

4th) Detail: before generating this new .HAT file, delete the previous one.

5th) One more detail: if the track has rain reflection, you have to add a new one in the changed file, otherwise there can be an error/texture bug on the track.

Hi, Speednut357/Peppelino !

1st) Open the .trk file of the track, go to the location where you want to correct it and find the corresponding .gmt file for that part of the track. Check that the initial letters of the material referring to the effect in the .specialfx.tec file are the same as in other parts of the tracks.

2) If different, put the same as the other parts.

3rd) If it is the same type of material (in this case, the same letters that refer to the effect) and if attempt #2 does not work, you will have to generate a new .HAT file in GTR2 or GTL with the .GMT file previously changed .

4th) Detail: before generating this new .HAT file, delete the previous one.

5th) One more detail: if the track has rain reflection, you have to add a new one in the changed file, otherwise there can be an error/texture bug on the track.
Thank you, Sergio Hundo. Great to hear from you. hope you're well mate.

Ok, that was great advice. As always with these things, every clue you get leads down another rabbit hole. I eventually realized I was looking at textures in 3DSimEd and what I needed was an object. My brain almost turned inside out, trying to work that one out. So Select the Object by name and go through the list until I find that the object I am looking for is called track57. Yes! I think I'm making progress. Then I see the said object in the TRK file, and wohoo, it is there. I will be a track modder in no time, I'm thinking. Then I realize that hang on. The object includes the road I am driving on? How can two parts of the same object have different attributes?
20220409-Screenshot (30).jpg

If anyone has any more clues to help me, That would be great. But I am happy stumbling around, slowly learning how this works.

Ok, that was great advice. As always with these things, every clue you get leads down another rabbit hole.
Who, me.? The Rabbit...

.. two attributes, you say..
Is it an override, somehow ?

Treat the Green stuff, like a material Pavement or Gravel, maybe...
AI have no problem with it. Yes?
:D

Upload the Track (relevant files only) to Sergio, maybe.. :thumbsup:

Me too, take a look at Monaco67.

Who, me.? The Rabbit...

.. two attributes, you say..
Is it an override, somehow ?

Treat the Green stuff, like a material Pavement or Gravel, maybe...
AI have no problem with it. Yes?
:D

Upload the Track (relevant files only) to Sergio, maybe.. :thumbsup:

Me too, take a look at Monaco67.
Yes, as far as I can work out, that green part is the object depicting that section of the road. My trouble is that it includes the curb and the cobbled pathway beside the road. If you put a wheel onto the path in a race, you spin out, almost as if the path has no friction? As you can see in the pic, they are both the same object. I thought maybe there was a path over the top, another object directly on top with different attributes? But I have been right through the object list, and there is nothing else. Most likely, I am just confused, and the answer is straightforward.
We had had similar problems before when a curb had very low grip value, and if you touched it, you would spin out. I remember Sergio found that the curb values could be changed, but I never learned how he did it.

I am not sure if it would be acceptable for me to upload this track? It is a very well-known GP Legends track from back in the day. And this is not an official conversion. I wouldn't want to offend anyone by sharing a broken version of their work.

Original track for GPL (Monaco Rocks) by
Rolf Farrell, Patrick "Petrov" Gilmore, Steffen Weitzdörfer,
Terrence "St Smytherie" Dorsey and Svend Seegert

Yes, as far as I can work out, that green part is the object depicting that section of the road. My trouble is that it includes the curb and the cobbled pathway beside the road. If you put a wheel onto the path in a race, you spin out, almost as if the path has no friction? As you can see in the pic, they are both the same object. I thought maybe there was a path over the top, another object directly on top with different attributes? But I have been right through the object list, and there is nothing else. Most likely, I am just confused, and the answer is straightforward.
We had had similar problems before when a curb had very low grip value, and if you touched it, you would spin out. I remember Sergio found that the curb values could be changed, but I never learned how he did it.

I am not sure if it would be acceptable for me to upload this track? It is a very well-known GP Legends track from back in the day. And this is not an official conversion. I wouldn't want to offend anyone by sharing a broken version of their work.

Yes, nasty Green stuff..
But you're supposed to be On track.
Not even to touch it, with your front tire, in that tunnel. :D

For your interest..

Bram did say in an earlier Post that
" just upload it. We will take it down If there is any objection". Cool guy.

I will ask him again, about that Post, later, not saved unfortunately..
.. a. trk file, maybe ? MeeFire. :D

The same object can have several attributes, because it has different types of materials in it. And each material will have an attribute, according to the record it has in the specialfx.tec file

If you want, "dismember" everything, erasing each part, later creating a .GMT object separately, and recording each one in the .trk file

As for braking, I use a method of making some detours on the track trajectory with the AIW Editor for the AI's and modifying the specialfx.tec file for the player's car, using greater track friction. This is how I corrected the track S2U_Shanghai Street and Gran Canaria, which will be posted in the future.

All this has to be well evaluated, as it is necessary to define the distance, inclination and curvature of the place to be adjusted/corrected.

You need to change grip of the rumble material (as the material is called "RMBL_...") in the .gdb file.

RumbleDryGrip=
RumbleWetGrip=
Ok, I'm getting perplexed. There is no RumbleDryGrip=, RumbleWetGrip=, in the GDB file. And when I add the line for fun. It does nothing as far as I can tell. I even searched for that line in other tracks and didn't find it?

Back to going over what Sergio is trying to tell me, I guess, and trying to understand how this works.

Ok, I'm getting perplexed. There is no RumbleDryGrip=, RumbleWetGrip=, in the GDB file. And when I add the line for fun. It does nothing as far as I can tell. I even searched for that line in other tracks and didn't find it?

Back to going over what Sergio is trying to tell me, I guess, and trying to understand how this works.
Hi, Speednut357. Follow suggestion from Nuerburg Village track:

RumbleDryGrip=1.10
RumbleWetGrip=1.08
AIRumbleDryGrip=1.10
AIRumbleWetGrip=1.08
RumbleBumpAmp=0.016
RumbleBumpLen=2.4

If you look in specialfx.tec there are global track materials

This is for curbs:

[FEEDBACK]
Dry=RumbleDryGrip Wet=RumbleWetGrip Resistance=0.0 BumpAmp=RumbleBumpAmp BumpWavelen=RumbleBumpLen Legal=true Spring=0.0 Damper=0.0 CollFrict=0.4 Sparks=1 Scraping=1 Sound=rumble
Reaction=tiresmoke Tex=smokewhite.tga Max=512 Scale=(0.5,0.0,1.5) Growth=(1.5,1.0,1.5) ASDEnvelope=(2.0,0.5,0.5) DestBlend=InvSrcAlpha SrcBlend=SrcAlpha
Reaction=skid Tex=skidhard.tga Max=2048 Pixel=NoReduceDetail Vertex=AlphaChannel+GouraudShade+GlobalShadow+OpaqueBlend Particle=Plane+Deformable+SingleSided DestBlend=InvSrcAlpha SrcBlend=SrcAlpha
Reaction=wetskid Tex=skidwet.tga Max=1024 Duration=0.40 Pixel=NoReduceDetail Vertex=AlphaChannel+GouraudShade+GlobalShadow+OpaqueBlend Particle=Plane+Deformable+SingleSided DestBlend=InvSrcAlpha SrcBlend=SrcAlpha
Reaction=spray2 AlphaVariability=30 DistBetweenParticles=0.9 Tex=rainspray.tga Max=1024 Scale=(1.0,0.0,1.0) Growth=(2.6,3.6,2.4) GrowthVel=(0.05,0.03,0.37) Power=0.15 RampSpeed=80.0 OffsetVel=-1.0 ASDEnvelope=(0.01,1.0,1.5) DestBlend=InvSrcAlpha SrcBlend=SrcAlpha
Materials=brick,rmbl,rmbbl,rdgreen
StoneChipFactor=0.1

"RumbleDryGrip" and "RumbleWetGrip" are variables, so materials beginning with "rmbl" uses these variables as listed.

So if yesterday I discover that the (gtr2) Nos_2007 has way more grip for AI than player but only on some turns (e.g. At carrusell AI car grab so much that flips over, but for player is normal and impossible to flip. Also on other fast turn that AI goes at 260km/h when I cant go faster than 230) and today I read this thread...

Btw.. my TEC file (gtr2), GDB, and PLR, RCD.. are all "ok" for every other track (I think).
But I have always noticed some tracks with different asphalt grip. So I always wonder.
Where is that grip? on the AIW?

And what about this on the GDB > SettingsCopy = Grip.svm > I have always delete it just in case but, what it does?

Find:
AISpec=(1.0000,1.0000,1.0000,1.0000) // 4 ways to express AI speed on track: limit the acceration, max speed, their cornering speed, or their deceleration. 0.0 - 1.0

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea