Thrustmaster TX Racing Wheel Ferrari 458 Italia Edition review

Thrustmaster TX Racing Wheel Ferrari 458 Italia Edition
Background:

Well...im old...ancient someone would say. My first contact with simracing was Geoff Crammond´s excellent Formula One Grand Prix in 1990´s and since then I have driven numerous driving games with Assetto Corsa being the latest one. I have owned and destroyed several wheels from manufacturer´s like Microsoft, Logitech and Fanatec so I would call myself as a experienced driver with average driving skills.
I have been relatively happy with my Fanatec CSR wheel and Clubsport V1 setup but sometimes you just want to try something new and hopefully better. Fanatec Clubsport Wheel would have been one good choice but it was just too pricey and possible future warranty issues made me look elsewhere. Thrustmaster T500 RS is nice but the newer design, brushless motor and better belt system convinced me to buy 458 Italia wheel. Having owned and destroyed a Logitech G25 in my previous life the newly released Thrustmaster TX 458 for 300 Euro´s was the only real choice for me. Luckily it was Christmas so Santa Claus helped me get this wheel. Thanks Santa, I owe you one...or two. :)

First impression & some numbers:
"What the .... Why in earth did I buy this piece of toy wheel" was my first thought after opening the box and lifting the unattached wheel. The two things that really striked out badly was the yellow Ferrari logo and the 2-way Manettino switch which really makes the wheel look cheap. The wheel rim building material looks and feels almost the same as found in early 90´s Nissan dashboard´s. Luckily appearances can sometimes be deceptive as the wheel "quality" will grow on you.
The wheel rim weight is approximately 730 gramms and its 28 cm in diameter. The power supply is inside of the base unit which weight is about 3,9 kg compared to Fanatec´s 2,9kg including the wheel but without the external power supply. In PC-mode you have total 13 buttons and a D-pad in your disposal.

2013-12-29-321_zps0f909630.jpg

Gas and brake pedals are made of metal,base from light plastic and the total weight is approximately 1,36kg. Brake has progressive resistance and the gas pedal feels quite stiff. Pedals connects directly to wheel base and they are not USB compatible.

2013-12-29-331_zps383723af.jpg

Wheel can be attached to table/cockpit with good clamping system or more permanently with built-in screw threads. After attaching the steering wheel and making the required firmware update for PC I was ready to Rock´n Roll.

Driving impression´s:
I could feel big difference between the CSR and Thrustmaster TX as soon as I accelerated out of the pits with my rFactor 2 Corvette.In straight line the 458 Italia will give you much more information about the car suspension movement and the bumps on the road. In corners I could feel the change in grip much more clearly and earlier stage than I did with Fanatec CSR. Steering response feels faster, more direct and FFB in whole felt much better. CSR has small FFB deadzone where you dont feel any feedback but with TX you feel the FFB almost whole range of wheels turning range.

With Assetto Corsa the difference between the wheels was smaller but Thrustmaster still feels superior of these two. Again the Thrusmaster feels so accurate,direct and fast to react drivers every steering input. Driving BMW Z4 GT3 with CSR feel´s just little bit boring but the TX wheel made the car more enjoyable and exciting to drive.
Gear leavers are made of strong metal and have nice solid feel to them. They are quite short to allow easy access to back buttons so I needed some time finding right position for my hands and fingers. That ugly Manettino switch works but they really shoud have used better quality switch in that one. Other buttons feel OK but for me the Fanatec has better buttons and the wheel rim in whole feels better. Pedals look and feel quite cheap but surprisingly they work much better than their appearance might suggest.

Conclusion: Connect the dots
FFB quality and the base unit are definitely the best part of this wheel . Driving with this wheel is true pleasure because FFB is strong, detailed and fast. Thrustmaster really should have used better quality materials with the rim and the pedals. Luckily you can always use Thrustmaster T500 RS add-on wheels and pedals or use USB pedals from another manufacturer. Thrustmaster plans to release improved T3PA pedals which includes a clutch pedal. I think this package is OK starting point for newcomer but I would definitely buy new pedals if I was serious about simracing. Im relatively happy with the rim so currently I have no plans to buy the 100€ Ferrari 458 GTE wheel add-on which should be much better in quality wise.

The GOOD:
+ FFB is very good
+ Base is made of strong, good quality plastic
+ Many buttons, even behind the wheel
+ Accurate and reacts fast to drivers input
+ Good clamp that will stop the base from moving.
+ Gear leavers are made of thick metal and changing gear feels quite good
+ Ability to use add-on wheels and pedals

The BAD:
- Pedals are light weight,looks and feels cheap. Surprisingly they do work moderately well
- Wheel rim looks cheap and the build quality should have been better. It does work & feels better than first impression might suggest
- Loud fan under stress
- No power switch
- USB cable can't be removed
- No clutch pedal

a5a7aca0-ad99-4251-a303-c93a8a359830_zps3e4dbe7e.jpg
047ad420-651b-403f-87c6-87cc81337b11_zps0c5b8cb6.jpg

2013-12-29-305_zpsb9a2a6e6.jpg

2013-12-29-312_zpsf21e7049.jpg

05.02.2014 UPDATE:

My Thrustmaster TX is dead so rest in peace my friend...you will be sorely missed.:(
But luckily his twin brother has arrived. ;)

One morning about 10 days ago my wheel went completely dead, no lights or any wheel movement at all so the electronics must have failed.
I contacted my local dealer and they replaced my wheel in 10 days . Whole process could have been 2-3 days shorter but they didnt have the wheel on stock so Im very happy how fast they replaced my wheel. I also e-mailed Thustmaster twice and both time they replied in 24 hours so no complaints about their reply speed.
According to my local dealer over 10% TX wheels have been returned back for warranty repairs. Other users have also experienced wheel failures so there seems to be slight quality problem with first batch of the TX Wheel.

I still like the wheel very much. :)

Last edited:
No problem Kjell. Just yesterday I ordered some stuff from Elfa for wheel im building. :)

Parts that I have bought for my wheel:
DSD wheel adapter->http://www.**********************/wheel-adapters.html
Button controller->http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=66
Buttons for shifter paddles-> http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=74&products_id=190
Springs for paddle shifter->http://www.biltema.fi/sv-fi/Bygg/Fastelement/Sortimentlada/Ovrigt/Fjadrar-200-st-191079/
Carbon fiber for paddle shifters and wheel plate from China->http://stores.ebay.co.uk/dealex2011?_dmd=2&_nkw=Carbon fiber

Im also thinking about "replacing" the Leo Bodnar button controller with this SLI device-> http://shop.renovatio-dev.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=30

One day I need to build this damned wheel but it could take some time. :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i'm using the SLI Pro (proper one) as my button and axis feeder fwiw, much the same meat, just different gravy :)

The TX is also really friendly to open up, I have my cable routed down the centre axle so I have no dangly wires, it does mean using a stock thrustmaster rim becomes trickier tho, as you need to modify the DSD hub to get the cable back out to the rear of your SLI Pro device.......worth the effort tho, makes a bang tidy install, it's just not so hot swappable as a standard TX this way tho.

Upvote 0
I want to keep my TX under warranty but when the warranty period is over I will route the USB cable through the center for sure.

Making the paddle shifters is the "hardest" part of this project but at least my test version works OK. Fanatec will intoduce static paddles system for their wheels and perhaps one could use it on DIY projects too.

Upvote 0
Hey guys,

First post here although I have been reading RD for many years. Thought I'd ask a few questions as I am looking for some advice/tips since I am currently looking at new wheels.

I currently haven't done much racing on my wheel set up for a few months as I have moved house, however I am looking to build a proper racing rig with 3 screens and all that good stuff. I've used wheels for many years, but I've mainly been a console racer simply because of the leagues I have run. I have owned (and still own) one of the old Microsoft Xbox Force Feedback wheels and upgraded awhile ago to the Fanatec CSR Elite wheel with Elite pedals when it was first released. Between Xbox wheels I also own a Logitech G27 which I used on the PC and PS3. Rig wise I have a Playseat Evolution that is my trusty bit of kit, but I have swapped between that and a GT Omega Racing seat occasionally.

My Fanatec wheel has been set up on my rig for years, and over the time I have used it on the Forza games pretty much exclusively. My intention on buying the CSR Elite wheel was to have a wheel that worked on everything, and I didn't have to constantly switch between equipment depending on what game I played. Personally, I have always found the CSR Elite to be useless on anything but the Forza Motorsport games. It might just be me or my set up, but any other game or console just simply did not work well with the CSR Elite. So much so that I ended up switching to my G27 when playing iRacing or GT5. Now with more racing sims coming out on PC that I want to play, and continuing to play Forza Motorsport 5 on the Xbox One I am seriously considering a Thurstmaster TX.

I was considering buying a Fanatec CSW and upgrading to the BMW GT2 rim, but then I am limiting myself to just the PC. I'm worried it would be too similar to the CSR Elite which I have, but I've watching many sim racers on YouTube and most of them seem to use the Club Sport. The Thrustmaster seems to work well on the PC from what I have read here, even although it is designed to be used on the Xbox One. I don't see myself ditching console racing all together, but I want to focus on PC sim racing more that I have done previously.

Sorry I've waffled on a bit. Long story short, I'd like to know the pro's and con's of the Thrustmaster TX and how it compares to the G27 and Fanatec CSR Elite wheel if anyone has had the opportunity to use both, and the CSW. Awhile ago I was able to try out a Thrustmaster T500 RS on a pretty high spec PC and I wasn't impressed, I felt it was too vague compared to my CSR Elite and found it hard to get used to. I'm not sure on the settings the had it on, but it just didn't feel too nice imo. Does the TX improve on this?

I'd be quite tempted to upgrade the wheel over time as well. The GTE rim looks and sounds very interesting, and is it possible to continue using my CSR Elite pedals on the PC alongside the Thurstmaster TX wheel? The basic set that it is supplied with don't look very good, but I guess I'd have to deal with using them on the Xbox One? I'd also like to know more about the custom dashboards and such that are available, and if they work with the TX wheel?

Thanks guys, and sorry for the long post!

Upvote 0
Hey guys,

First post here although I have been reading RD for many years. Thought I'd ask a few questions as I am looking for some advice/tips since I am currently looking at new wheels.

I currently haven't done much racing on my wheel set up for a few months as I have moved house, however I am looking to build a proper racing rig with 3 screens and all that good stuff. I've used wheels for many years, but I've mainly been a console racer simply because of the leagues I have run. I have owned (and still own) one of the old Microsoft Xbox Force Feedback wheels and upgraded awhile ago to the Fanatec CSR Elite wheel with Elite pedals when it was first released. Between Xbox wheels I also own a Logitech G27 which I used on the PC and PS3. Rig wise I have a Playseat Evolution that is my trusty bit of kit, but I have swapped between that and a GT Omega Racing seat occasionally.

My Fanatec wheel has been set up on my rig for years, and over the time I have used it on the Forza games pretty much exclusively. My intention on buying the CSR Elite wheel was to have a wheel that worked on everything, and I didn't have to constantly switch between equipment depending on what game I played. Personally, I have always found the CSR Elite to be useless on anything but the Forza Motorsport games. It might just be me or my set up, but any other game or console just simply did not work well with the CSR Elite. So much so that I ended up switching to my G27 when playing iRacing or GT5. Now with more racing sims coming out on PC that I want to play, and continuing to play Forza Motorsport 5 on the Xbox One I am seriously considering a Thurstmaster TX.

I was considering buying a Fanatec CSW and upgrading to the BMW GT2 rim, but then I am limiting myself to just the PC. I'm worried it would be too similar to the CSR Elite which I have, but I've watching many sim racers on YouTube and most of them seem to use the Club Sport. The Thrustmaster seems to work well on the PC from what I have read here, even although it is designed to be used on the Xbox One. I don't see myself ditching console racing all together, but I want to focus on PC sim racing more that I have done previously.

Sorry I've waffled on a bit. Long story short, I'd like to know the pro's and con's of the Thrustmaster TX and how it compares to the G27 and Fanatec CSR Elite wheel if anyone has had the opportunity to use both, and the CSW. Awhile ago I was able to try out a Thrustmaster T500 RS on a pretty high spec PC and I wasn't impressed, I felt it was too vague compared to my CSR Elite and found it hard to get used to. I'm not sure on the settings the had it on, but it just didn't feel too nice imo. Does the TX improve on this?

I'd be quite tempted to upgrade the wheel over time as well. The GTE rim looks and sounds very interesting, and is it possible to continue using my CSR Elite pedals on the PC alongside the Thurstmaster TX wheel? The basic set that it is supplied with don't look very good, but I guess I'd have to deal with using them on the Xbox One? I'd also like to know more about the custom dashboards and such that are available, and if they work with the TX wheel?

Thanks guys, and sorry for the long post!
http://eu.fanatec.com/RacingWheels/ClubSportWheelBaseEU
Looking at that I think you can expect the CSW to feel quite similar to your CSR Elite in terms of FFB feel and strength. Also if you find the CSR good in Forza but not on PC I think it's all down to not having set up the wheel right on PC cos it should perform no less on there.

But do keep in mind that belt driven wheels as the CSR feel quite different to a cogwheel driven wheel like the G27. When I upgraded from my old Logitech Momo wheel to a Fanatec GT3 I was initially a bit disappointed because it felt so different, not as direct and violent as the Momo, but the more I used it the more I started to appreciate the smoothness and started noticing a lot of subtle effects that had been completely lost on me using the Momo, I am now a very happy owner of the GT3.

Upvote 0
I do believe that you're splitting hairs on the Fanatec CSR Elite vs Thrustmaster TX in regards to FFB strength however how a wheel feels is often how the wheel is setup, control panel settings as well as in game FFB settings. On the PC that can vary quite a bit compared to a fixed setup like a console so it often does require more tweaking. The plus side is that most PC racing sims have a higher quality FFB if setup properly compared to a console. I have never used an CSR Elite wheel, I got into sim racing after it was out of production, but I've been very pleased with my T500RS and TX wheel. I was somewhat happy with the G27 I had other than its just a noisy wheel. The rattling and clacking was just too much for me to tolerate. The T500 and TX are worlds better in this regard. No loud popping, clacking, rattling noises.

As stated above, you can use your Fanatec CSR Elite pedals with the TX on the PC without any issue, but to use them on the Xbox One, you will need a Basher CPX adapter.

Upvote 0
I do believe that you're splitting hairs on the Fanatec CSR Elite vs Thrustmaster TX in regards to FFB strength however how a wheel feels is often how the wheel is setup, control panel settings as well as in game FFB settings. On the PC that can vary quite a bit compared to a fixed setup like a console so it often does require more tweaking. The plus side is that most PC racing sims have a higher quality FFB if setup properly compared to a console. I have never used an CSR Elite wheel, I got into sim racing after it was out of production, but I've been very pleased with my T500RS and TX wheel. I was somewhat happy with the G27 I had other than its just a noisy wheel. The rattling and clacking was just too much for me to tolerate. The T500 and TX are worlds better in this regard. No loud popping, clacking, rattling noises.

As stated above, you can use your Fanatec CSR Elite pedals with the TX on the PC without any issue, but to use them on the Xbox One, you will need a Basher CPX adapter.
Wait, who's splitting hairs? 0o

Upvote 0
No worries, I just wasn't understanding who you felt where splitting hairs, and I must admit that I still don't :p
But anyways, I think he's got a real solid wheel already so changing to a T500, TX or CSW is more of a sidegrade than a upgrade in terms of FFB and strength, though some of them add other nifty features ofc.
@Richard Millard If I where you I'd try to get the CSR Elite dialed in on PC cos I think you'll find it outperforming the G27 once you do, but you might have to stick with it for a lil while and try to get used to it, cos it WILL feel different due to being belt driven.

Upvote 0
No worries, I just wasn't understanding who you felt where splitting hairs, and I must admit that I still don't :p
But anyways, I think he's got a real solid wheel already so changing to a T500, TX or CSW is more of a sidegrade than a upgrade in terms of FFB and strength, though some of them add other nifty features ofc.
@Richard Millard If I where you I'd try to get the CSR Elite dialed in on PC cos I think you'll find it outperforming the G27 once you do, but you might have to stick with it for a lil while and try to get used to it, cos it WILL feel different due to being belt driven.

I meant that the FFB between the CSR Elite/CSW isn't really any stronger than the T500 or TX, its just a matter of which wheel and features you prefer and if you choose to use your wheel with a console, that will play a factor as well.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the responses guys!

Regarding the CSR Elite wheel on the PC, whilst you guys are probably right I have no idea where to start from to get it dialed in for the PC in the first place. I've always found that any game apart from Forza on the 360 used to 'grind' the wheel and the belts slipped - Codemasters game were especially bad for this - and when I used it on the PC for iRacing it just felt very unrealistic. It's been awhile since I used it on the PC, so maybe new drivers and set ups are available for me to try.

I have ordered the Thurstmaster TX even although I have a CSR Elite and G27. It's good to have options, plus I do want a wheel for my Xbox One so this is the only choice. I'm going to get the GTE wheel add on, and probably the TH8RS shifter. I'm planning on using my CSR Elite pedals on the PC as I think they are a very good set of pedals, but will have to suffice with the stock pedals for the Xbox One unless I either buy the T3PA pedals - which don't look nearly as good as the CSR Elites (but will work on the Xbox One using the TX) or get the Basherboard CRX if they are ever produced again. Pity he isn't making them anymore, but these things happen.

Does anyone know if custom dashboards can be added to the Thurstmaster TX? Also has anyone used the GTE wheel on an Xbox One? I'd be curious to know if all the buttons are there for the console.

Cheers!

Upvote 0
Richard, Basher is going to make the CPX again. He took a little time off since his wife just had their first child a few weeks ago. He will most certainly make them again because they're in high demand. Also understand that the TH8RS will work on the PC since it has a USB input but won't work on the Xbox One. Thrustmaster has a TH8A shifter coming this summer that is compatible with the TX and Xbox One.

I use the GTE wheel on the Xbox One, it works just fine, all buttons are there, its just a little harder to memorize where they are since they aren't marked like Xbox One buttons. All Thrustmaster wheels are supposed to be interchangeable, The GT wheel, GTE wheel, F1 wheel, and 458 Italia wheel.

Upvote 0
Thanks Blkout, I wasn't aware there was a shifter set coming out to suit both the Xbox One and the PC, so I think I'll just wait for that. tbh the shifter I have on my G27 and Fanatec has rarely been used and more out of novelty for a bit of fun rather than when I've driving competitively. Might see how I get on without it first before I jump in.

Has anyone got any experience of the CPX? I'd be interested to know if it would recognize the load cell in the braking pedal on the CSR Elites or if it would just act like a basic pedal.

I'm looking forward to getting it and having a new challenge for my sim racing :)

Upvote 0
Just trying to decide if it's worth upgrading a Fanatec Porsche Turbo S to a Thrustmaster TX. Mainly for iRacing, rF2, Assetto Corsa, GSC & R3E.

Only hearing good things about the TX - I like the sound of it's quickness and lack of in built dampening. I find the Fanatec Turbos S good but don't like using drift mode as I find it numbs the force feedback and feels artificial. FFB is good though but is the TX much better ?

On the other hand I haven't ruled out a Fanatec ClubSport Wheel either - How much of an upgrade is the CSW compared to the PWTS and to the TX ? Has anybody used all three ?

I already have ClubSport v1 pedals for PC use and if I ever got an Xbox one would try to get hold of the basherboards adapter to use the CS pedals with the TX.

Upvote 0
Thanks Blkout, I wasn't aware there was a shifter set coming out to suit both the Xbox One and the PC, so I think I'll just wait for that. tbh the shifter I have on my G27 and Fanatec has rarely been used and more out of novelty for a bit of fun rather than when I've driving competitively. Might see how I get on without it first before I jump in.

Has anyone got any experience of the CPX? I'd be interested to know if it would recognize the load cell in the braking pedal on the CSR Elites or if it would just act like a basic pedal.

I'm looking forward to getting it and having a new challenge for my sim racing :)

The CPX doesn't change the way your pedals operate. If its a load cell brake, it still operates like a load cell brake. The CPX is only an adapter to allow the Fanatec pedals to communicate with the Thrustmaster wheels. Everyone that has one has no complaints. I'm patiently waiting for one myself since I missed out on his last batch.

Upvote 0
Just trying to decide if it's worth upgrading a Fanatec Porsche Turbo S to a Thrustmaster TX. Mainly for iRacing, rF2, Assetto Corsa, GSC & R3E.

Only hearing good things about the TX - I like the sound of it's quickness and lack of in built dampening. I find the Fanatec Turbos S good but don't like using drift mode as I find it numbs the force feedback and feels artificial. FFB is good though but is the TX much better ?

On the other hand I haven't ruled out a Fanatec ClubSport Wheel either - How much of an upgrade is the CSW compared to the PWTS and to the TX ? Has anybody used all three ?

I already have ClubSport v1 pedals for PC use and if I ever got an Xbox one would try to get hold of the basherboards adapter to use the CS pedals with the TX.

I don't own a Porsche Turbo S wheel but I'm going to say confidently that the TX is a clear step above in regards to FFB feel and strength. The only wheels honeslty that compete with the T500 and TX are the CSW and the older CSR Elite. This is based on what I've read from various Fanatec owners that switched over to a T500 or TX.

Upvote 0
I don't own a Porsche Turbo S wheel but I'm going to say confidently that the TX is a clear step above in regards to FFB feel and strength. The only wheels honeslty that compete with the T500 and TX are the CSW and the older CSR Elite. This is based on what I've read from various Fanatec owners that switched over to a T500 or TX.

Thanks - just trying to decide if it`s worth the upgrade or whether it is incremental. I`ll probably want either the F1 or GTE rim too. Toying with a CSW but people genuinely seem to like the FFB on the TX as much if not more.

Upvote 0
Very soon the Thrustmaster will release information about the new PS4 combatible brushless racing wheel they are making.
It seems that the steering rim could be based on the GTE wheel so it will be interesting to see what other changes/upgrades they have made over TX wheel.

EDIT:
Info about the new T300 RS wheel->
http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_UK/press/t300-rs-first-official-force-feedback-wheel-playstation-4

Interesting part is the separetely sold base fixed paddle shifter kit and the price which is 369€.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • More leagues

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Prizes

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Trophies

Votes: 5 12.2%