Thrustmaster T300 advice

Been doing some research on what wheel to get.
Narrowed it down to a T300RS
As reviews say it's a quieter wheel than the G29 which is what I was interested in getting. Can anyone who owns one comment on noise levels. I don't intend to use much ffb as I need to use the wheel in the living room. Where my wife will be watching TV.

Don't laugh but I've also considered the Hori wheel

With forced cooling mode on (ST + MODE pressed simultaneously, forces cooling fan to be ON all the time), highly recommend using on T300, because it is great, but very flawed product, it would serve as a safety measure, just in case. With force cooling ON, T300 wheel base produces a fan hum slightly louder than average laptop’s fan at light load, but it is less whiny and high pitched, it is more on the dull and lower pitch side.
But the wheel base, the steering wheel itself and the pedals do produce the occasional crack and creek, they can be towards the annoying side, not because of overall loudness they produce, but more so the randomness of the noises. And the steering wheel’s gear shift paddles can produce loud click, think PC mouse on steroids.
The force feedback motor also produces noise, if you ever heard electric motor hum, whine, it is like that, just not loud at all, and only audible towards the max force feedback settings.

Overall from my personal experience, it is not the loudness, noise level on its own that is the problem. Some people can not stand the randomness of noises and the inconsistency, because to them it is very annoying (think constant light headache, versus a pulsating light headache, one tends to be more annoying to most people).

In short it is not a loud device, but it can be annoying without a background noise in some cases. If you will use it in living room with TV on, I do not think it should be a problem, but TV off will depends on the person in the room, maybe they will find it more annoying than loud.

The Logitech wheels are a lot quieter UNTIL the ffb rattle kicks in. Then they sound like they would explode at any moment...

The t300 has some noise when steering from the belt mechanism and the cooling fan.
Both are louder than than the passively cooled Logitech wheels and their smooth gearing mechanism.

But as I said, when you drive over kerbs, the Logitech wheels will start to rattle like crazy.. I absolutely hated this.

If you can, get a used fanatec clubsport (csw). They are a lot quieter than all thrustmaster wheels.
Or, ofc, invest a lot more and get a fanatec csl DD. If you turn down vibrations, they are whisper quiet and still have sufficiently strong ffb :)

When you can keep the FFB down to 50% or less forced cooling mode is not necessary.
The belt system will make some whirring sound when (counter)steering fastly, creaking and shifter noise depends mainly on the wheel used.
The stock one was relatively quiet, F1 AddOn a creaky mess with louder shift clicks.
Sparco 310 mod silent from the wheel, loud clicks because magnetic mod.

Only silent wheel will be direct drive, when you go Fanatec CSL DD the cheaper wheels are still quite plasticky.

Even pedal sets can make creaky sounds especially cheaper ones.

Maybe do a test with controller or gaming mouse first because even me driving can be heard quite well.
( huffing, puffing and swearing:mad:)

If your wife is "Princess on a pea" about about gaming noise your **** outa luck until you can move your sim racing into Jimmy´s old shed. :rolleyes:

MFG Carsten

Thanks for the replies. I've ordered a T300rs. Plus Wheel stand Pro second hand quite cheap. The T300 was only £30 more than the newer T248 but I liked the idea of swapping wheel's out.
Very good decision! The T248 is a fancy and stronger version of the T150. It's belt + gear drive.
T300 is fully belt driven, which imo is preferable by a large amount!!

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.