Thoughts after a day playing iRacing - Immersive enough to cause panic attacks

Before recently, I always assumed iRacing was a con. That it wasn't worth the money, that the laser scanned tracks didn't make a big difference, and I was better off playing rFactor or Race. And then the 1 month free promotion turned up recently, and I figured I should give it a try, see what all the fuss is about. And boy was I in for a surprise.

I was surprised to find that the laser scanned tracks actually make a difference. Having all the bumps modelled accurately to within less than an inch still seems trivial to me. But there's a lot of subtle camber changes, crests, etc. which are often missed when other games model tracks using more traditional methods. They make driving the track a little bit more technical, and consequently, a lot more interesting.

After a while practicing, I worked up the guts to go online. All I've driven all day is the MX-5 on Laguna Seca. I've done two qualifying sessions and three races so far, and I'm beginning to see what it is that makes iRacing great. The game's reputation for having a high standard of racing is well deserved. People are courteous, and drive cleanly. When they make a mistake, they're quick to apologise. And understanding when I (often) make a mistake. :)

But there's one thing I found it did better than everything else; immersion. Before today, I have never been scared by a racing game. But sitting on the grid, waiting for the lights to turn green, I start to get tense every time. I become frightened to the point of shaking, and this lasts the entire race.

I figured it's due to the pressure from iRacing's standards of racing being so high. I worry that I'm gonna mess up somewhere, and be the latest idiot to turn up. Which I'd say is a good way to reflect the pressure a racing driver is put under.

At this point, it's probably worth mentioning that I'm suffering from anxiety right now, and I'm pretty sure the stress that iRacing puts me under has induced a panic attack. Which is just crazy. How can a video game be that immersive?

I don't know how much I'll carry on playing it after today if it has this kind of effect on me. In fact, I can't believe my time on a game is actually limited by how good it is! But I'll be trying to over the duration of my trial, that's for sure. It's not something I want to miss out on.

However I still find it difficult to bring myself to subscribe. I recall a post here by someone who wanted to do the V8 Supercars series in it on a 3 month subscription, which added up to about $160 with the car and tracks. That's a lot of money for a game, worth it or not.

I tried driving the Skip Barber car aswell, which I couldn't get the hang of. Thankfully it came free with the trial. But it has served as a warning; I can't be sure I'll enjoy a car before I buy it on iRacing. And I'm not fond of gambling like that.

Maybe one day I'll come back and subscribe, when I've got more money. Because I've deffinately enjoyed what I've seen so far. But until then, at least I now know what the big deal is about iRacing, what's so great about it, and what brings people to pay that kind of money for it.

Agreed, VirtualR has become a joke lately. Biff going on about how terrible iRacing is, General inviting him to fight... It's pathetic.

To be honest, as long as I finish somewhere in the middle of the field, with as few incidents as possible along the way, I'm happy. :)

I don't feel like clearing my wheel off my desk today, so I'm gonna give the skippy another go today, see if I can get the hang of it. Once I've subscribed though, I'll be sure to apply for an RD license and join your leagues. The subscription still feels expensive for a game to me, so I'll be determined to get my money's worth. :)

Edit: Does iRacing use NASCAR flag rules? So a white flag mean final lap?

I think if iRacing could get close to NetKars tyre model then it's a win but tbh as much as i love iRacing, the one part that really grates on me is the damage, it's almost funny. I think iRacing in general have alot to fix before releasing new content all the time and these 2 should be top. As an overall package though for me it's untouchable.

I think LFS and DK´s tyre model will surpass NKpros model. DK has been working on his for years. He has a way bigger budget then NKpro which ultimately should give Iracing the edge.
You have to consider that DK works on the tyre model.
He has nothing to do with the guys putting out new content and vice versa.
The people who work with damage i´m sure doesn´t work on cars or tracks aswell.
Maybe cars so i guess i agree with you there.
But the thing that really assures me that Iracing is or will be the best is how they go about in doing things.
For instance, the lighting conditions at a track.

Other game developers tweak the numbers until it look right.
Iracing has been doing this also but now they are doing it more scientifically. they have people go out at the track with a lux-meter so they get accurate values for the track, the kerbs, other objects etc in different times of day.
Spa was first and they will go back to the other tracks aswell.

Laserscanning.
Most game developers spend hours to watch clips, maybe even visit the track etc to create a good replica of the track but you can only get it right to a certain point.
With laserscanning you get everything right, all the dips, elevations etc is spot on because it´s a carbon copy of the real thing.
So if you learn a track in Iracing and you want to try it in real life, you already know the track which cuts down the learning time dramatically.

Tyre model.
DK is really doing something no other developer has done.
And compared to NKpro´s developer, he only works on that while Kunoz(?) has to carry the whole game.

Bottom line is that they take no shortcuts when creating stuff unless it´s "betas" like the damage, transmission model etc which is worked on but not top priority at the moment.

I´m really lookin forward to the future of Iracing and what they can achieve. They are trying to start a legitimate sport while the others are creating a game, good games i should say but there´s the difference.

The way i see it is that the Tyremodel is what´s holding Iracing back at the moment.
Because if you have a philosophy like that there´s no point in adding DayNight transitions, weather etc if the the tyre model isn´t correct. All it means is that they would have to do it again instead of waiting for the tyre model to arrive then work on things like that because you now know that the tyre model is correct.

Also a good thing with laserscanning is that if they incorporate rain, the rain will create puddles in the right places. Might not sound so awsome but it´s the details that will differentiate Iracing from the rest.

I will still play upcoming games like Rfactor 2, GTR3 (second version was what got me started) etc but Iracing will always have the edge because of the things mentioned above.

@Lemming77: Best advice is to try to not race for the win in the lowest classes but to focus on clean racing. This will help with SR and getting into cleaner races.

Hum... if I may....
I have never agreed with that. Winning races, gets you into higher splits, and higher splits are safer than low ones.
Having a high SR in a very low split only proves you are good at avoiding people and mostly you will get stucked in races avoiding people, instead of racing and not worry aout that.

Flavien, you're correct with that. But what I meant was to get out of Rookies as fast as possible - and then let the SR take care of itself and just race to get into the top split. I myself had many great races in the rookies but once you get lucky and twice you're in a wreckfest. At least that's my experience..

Yeah, I'm trying to race cleanly so I can get promoted and make my way up. But it has been difficult. I had three MX-5 races today, all of which ended badly.

#1 There was a crash in T1 which left me near the back of the pack, and I didn't manage to make my way up the field to a decent position.
#2 There was a crash near the end of lap 1 which left me with a leaking radiator I think. Engine exploded a few laps later. Game over.
#3 Lost control of the car half way through the race, and took someone else out while I was spinning. Ended the race for us both.

I think my rating's now worse than it was when I started today. :( Oh well, I guess these accidents are all part of the learning process. That's why I don't get irritated when someone takes me out. Because I'm inexperienced enough to do the same thing to them. :p

I wonder if I racing will add a Ute. That would be awesome.

Glenn_McNally.jpg

That would be awesome. Or the Holden Commodore V8 Supercar. I'm not a big fan of single make races. I'd find iRacing far more attractive if it had a DBR9 and S7R to compete against the C6R, for example. Or more Formula 1 cars to go with the Williams already in there. Or more NASCAR cars. Just to add more variety to the field without having a whole other race going at once.

Hum... if I may....
I have never agreed with that. Winning races, gets you into higher splits, and higher splits are safer than low ones.
Having a high SR in a very low split only proves you are good at avoiding people and mostly you will get stucked in races avoiding people, instead of racing and not worry aout that.

I have to agree with Flavien.

From day one i raced my heart out win or lose. I managed to get out of rookie class the first day and now i´m on my way up to B class even though i could have been A class a loong time ago.

Basically, race your heart out in every single race. This leads to experience that will be useful later on.
It´s also crucial to learn racecraft. I´ve seen to many guys be faster then me put then can´t race for ****.

By just gliding round a track to get safe points is bad for you racecraft, experience and for the guys who actually want to race.
When they see you gliding round half assed you will cause problems because you might think your doing the safe thing by looking in the rear view mirror and start weaving left or right because you don´t know which side they will overtake.

You should always keep your line until someone is beside you going in to a corner. If your hesitating it will end up in a big crash.

Sounds like you are enjoying yourself Lemming. Pracitce is key, if you can't keep it somewhat clean for a race distance in a practice session with other drivers around, it will be even harder to do it when you are pumped up in a race. Have fun and the rest will fall into place.

Since i started to play iRacing a whole month ago (well abit more 11th Jan) I havent been able to touch another racing game.
Maybe rFactor is the only one.

I was looking forward to Test Drive Unlimited II, but omg after playing it i realised how fake and arcady it really is.

I have previously enjoyed Gran Tourismo, Forza II+III, Grid, Dirt.. and F1 2010. - F1 2010 because it just looks jaw dropping with a select few mods enabled.

But nothing....nothing i have ever touched before feels like iRacing does, when your in that car racing against others.

Like you said, i get nervous on the starting grid aswell...kind of eases off after a few laps when u settle in. Unless its bumper to bumper :D

But nothing made me feel like that in a game before, i rememberd i hadnt felt this way since i played sunday league football as a goal keeper and would get nervous before kick off untill u make a save or two :)

Its that very feeling thats made me wanna come back more and more.

The setup i have is quite enjoyable aswell. G27 & 3monitors. I dont have the full sim seat with force feedback. But im loving it so much im thinkin about building my rig further with a proper racing seat.

The only down side to iRacing, especially probably at the lower levels Rookie & Class D - i have had no end of people take me out of the race clip the back end of my car. Sometimes by accident, a few times actually on purpose. Getting caught up in crashes that wernt really your fault and loosing safety rating is the only down side for me.

But to combat that, i have had to change the mentality that i drive with. To not be so aggresive and to back off abit if the racing is getting tight infront of me. Actually learning to anticipate things...
And realising i just need to race clean and safe to get my licence up, i dont have to be driving at the edge all the time.

My last month on iRacing has taught me more about Racing than every other racing game/sim ive played put together..over the last 10years.

Its the competition that makes iRacing great for me and the fact its about as close to the real thing as u can get right now.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.