1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This is how F1 2012's AI works

Discussion in 'F1 2012 - The Game' started by Tom, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Tom

Staff Emeritus Staff

• Like Like x 7
  2. Sounds like the consoles limiting the advancement of AI among other things.
  3. Scott Tanner

Scott Tanner
    3vil - Steam

Isnt it always that?
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Not exactly sure what your point is though....?
  5. Scott Tanner

Scott Tanner
    3vil - Steam

That is has been the console limitations on hardware that games in all forms have not developed into better software on updated versions of themselves like yearly race game series.Dated console hardware is the lead platform that many games are made for unfortunately.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Tom

Staff Emeritus Staff

On a related note: it's hilarious how I can't keep up with the car in front of me if I'm on P2 but the very same car can't keep up with me when I restart the race. If it's in front of me this car is ~2 seconds a lap quicker but if it's behind me it can close to gap in 2 maybe 3 corners but can't stay close anywhere else.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. I found your report very interesting. Thank you. It is all quite amazing to me....an admitted pc/technology noob.
  8. Cars seem to leave me in the dust as soon as they get past me. Knocking the difficulty down makes it too easy, I can never seem to get the perfect balance :(
  9. Thanks Tom, your explanation accounts for alot of the strange lapping behaviour and unless someone comes up with an equally good counter-argument, this seems to be the most logical summary of how things are working then I have ever read.

It does also leave me feeling it is a bit of a hopeless scenario in that there is no good way to easily fix this in the short term without Codies actually changing its AI engine quite alot.
  10. Yeah but the point of this specific AI was to best cater to the now useless console HW, so it would seem to me that they've done their best given the limitations of consoles.
    The consoles are a big joke to me, they may have encouraged more people to play games, but many games are technically garbage.
  11. Before consoles appeared, how fast was the technology moving forward? You had to upgrade my PC every 1-2 years to keep up with the improved graphics and CPU requirements of new games. That was until 2005 or so until consoles started taking on popularity really fast.

Let me make this simple. My first PC was in 2000. I had to upgrade it in 2002. Then I had to upgrade it again in 2007. At this moment (end of 2012) I still use the same PC with the same specs from 2007, and I don't foresee a need to upgrade anytime soon in the near future if the tech and req of newer games will stay the same (who knows what new tech will come)

So yes, console is a major MAJOR factor in PC game evolution, in terms of AI, graphics, and anything else.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. You're only thinking of your wallet, not what PC games could be.
  13. Tom

Staff Emeritus Staff

Just to clarify this: I didn't write this up, see the source. I merely found that piece on the CM boards. :)
  14. Alberto Casado

Alberto Casado
    Premium Member

Current console generation is just two years longer than usual. I think anyway that consoles were popular much earlier than 2005 (PS2 released in 2000, xbox 2001).

But the main problem is a hardware/software one, and it is shared by both consoles and pc (since they are more alike than ever). The frequency path (pumping up performance with more megahertzs) is pretty much depleted. The next strategy was using multiple cores, but several years after them being in every device, we still see games that choke one core leaving the rest idle. This is because developers don't know how to/cannot paralelize the processing load.

So, the next generation of consoles is being delayed because a good chunk of the processing power of the current generation is not being used. It doesn't make much sense to build a console with double the number of cores if you still don't know how to use the number you have right now.

However, I don't believe CM's poor AI is the way it is for lack of computing power. They are just incredibly lazy. They recycled a graphical engine from a game that was probably not the best for an F1 game. They made a quite poor approach for the AI 2010. And they basically did not touch it for two years. Yes, if you try to simulate the other 21 cars with the 4 wheels, touching kerbs, etc, your computer will die. But there are many intermediate steps between that and just spitting lap times completely disconnected to the theoretical speed and track shape.
  15. So play with real people, no AI - no problem. ;)