The quickest way to find the right AI level and only drive qualifying once

Shovas

Premium
It's always bothered me that it's so tedious to find the right AI level but I've found a new tweak to the way I usually do it that means I only have to set one qualifying time:
  1. Set a qualifying time and remember the time
  2. Restart the race weekend and adjust AI up or down to suit your tastes. Watch AI times in the Timing tab. Restart and adjust AI level until you're happy with where your time lies within the AI times.
  3. Restart once more, unselect Qualifying session, *set your grid position*, start the weekend, and skip to the Race session
You've found the right AI level without having to drive qualifying more than once!

This is the most efficient way I've found to find the right AI level.

It's not the most ideal but it's the best we can do as far as I can tell.

Notes:

Use Time Acceleration to make the whole process as fast as possible. I almost always accelerate past the first 15 minutes of qualifying to quickly see AI times and to warm up the track for when I'm going out to set a time.

The Grid Position option on the race configuration screen will enable itself when all Qualifying sessions are unselected.

Your grid position preference might be exactly where your qualifying time lies within the list of AI times or you might choose to put it higher or lower. It's up to you.

For best results, make sure your qualifying time is a reliable, consistent one and not just a fluke.

Last edited:
If you set your grid position in any game, I assume the AI drivers will take random grid positions. Which means some slower drivers running in front, faster drivers in the rear.. not a usual racing scenario. That's why I always run qualifying. I also favor games where you can jump straight into it, not having to run a complete practice in order to make sure the AI is less bugged (rF2).

If you set your grid position in any game, I assume the AI drivers will take random grid positions. Which means some slower drivers running in front, faster drivers in the rear.. not a usual racing scenario. That's why I always run qualifying. I also favor games where you can jump straight into it, not having to run a complete practice in order to make sure the AI is less bugged (rF2).

That's actually a good point and I think this problem does affect GTR2 to some extent.

I do a lot of AI testing for some of my mods and have found that skipping or not running qualifying always feels "off" in some way.

So, ymmv as it relates to the original post.

Last edited:

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 13 12.5%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 10 9.6%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 10 9.6%
  • Thursday

Votes: 12 11.5%
  • Friday

Votes: 40 38.5%
  • Saturday

Votes: 59 56.7%