The open debate on closed cockpits

You should get extra points for the exaggeration (no surprise there).

Good of you.:thumbsup:
:) a little bit ... but it still doesn`t change facts .. and i agree with making it as safe as possible without sarcifying the essence of that sport (doesn`t matter which one) .. but if you take how many deadly accidents happend in F1 in last 10 - 15 years it is kind of miracle how low this number is considering circumstances of racing ..

:) a little bit ... but it still doesn`t change facts .. and i agree with making it as safe as possible without sarcifying the essence of that sport (doesn`t matter which one) .. but if you take how many deadly accidents happend in F1 in last 10 - 15 years it is kind of miracle how low this number is considering circumstances of racing ..

Considering the last proper death in F1 was Ayrton Senna 20 years ago, we haven't done too badly with the safety regs. Largely thanks to Sid Watkins. :)

Remember when Alonso had that massive smash and needed a metal plate in his head? We've had a few really nasty injuries, but I think the regs are now good enough in the sense that we have a relatively safe sport whilst still keeping the spirit of incredibly fast racing.

the driver would be sucked out of his seat and thrown forward then thrown backwards then forwards then backwards.
Bad design like suicide doors on a London taxi.

who ever made that drawing needs a spanking.
Just how will the driver be flung forward and backwards as you described when he is strapped in to his seat by a 6point safety harness, which is designed to keep him pinned safely in the Impact resistant mono cock chassis during a 300kmh accident.
Maybe you should spank yourself for posting before thinking! :roflmao:

Cheers

I just don't understand why this discussion came up. Is everyone aware that closed cockpit would make ZERO difference in Bianchi injuries? His type of injury is caused most of the times by big disacceleration. Bianchi suffered a 50G disacceleration, no closed cockpit would save him. It's more important to discuss how to protect cranes and what FIA should do when a crane is after the safety barriers.

Just how will the driver be flung forward and backwards as you described when he is strapped in to his seat by a 6point safety harness, which is designed to keep him pinned safely in the Impact resistant mono cock chassis during a 300kmh accident.
Maybe you should spank yourself for posting before thinking! :roflmao:

Cheers

Lola-mb-01.jpg

that's why.
that design is stupid and would cause this to happen.
@ 200 mph it would rip his helmet off

Its a blind hole..
Have you ever blown down on a drilled hole in wood and it blows back into your face ?
Who ever made this drawing should not give up his day job.
All the drivers would be decapitated as soon as they reach 200 mph.

Was funny looking at the picture though, clearly no idea what there doing and that's why it was funny to see.

Last edited:
Lola-mb-01.jpg

that's why.

Its a blind hole..
Have you ever blown down on a drilled hole in wood and it blows back into your face ?

Was funny looking at the picture though, clearly no idea what there doing and that's why it was funny to see.
don't forget that they are closed cockpits, not half-open like a bottle

yes but what if the driver lands on the track?

I voted "not sure", I guess it can improve safety a bit but the cars would look a bit weird

I voted "not sure". Before the FIA would consider this they should investigate the Bianchi incident. If you know what really caused his head trauma then you can say something about what you should do to prevent such accidents. If indeed the 50 G deceleration was the cause of his head trauma then a closed cockpit would make no difference. Personally I think a closed cockpit would take the charm out of F1. On the other hand if it is needed to make the sport safer then so be it. The only concern that I have is that some drivers would take more risks due to the closed cockpit witch eventually will make the sport only more unsafe.

A though nut to crack for the FIA.

Lola-mb-01.jpg

that's why.

Its a blind hole..

Wouldn't it be funny if it WAS his day job :D

@kelaroost
Come on, think about it, do you believe for one minute the F1 team designers are going to create a component on an F1 car that wont allow for maximum air flow, and then take advantage of that airflow by using it to create more down-force. Also if you look at the design of the front screen very little air would flow into the actual cockpit due to it being forced out and away from the cockpit opening, sure there will still be a level of airflow in and around the drivers head but I doubt that it will be any more than it is today. And I would hazard a guess that the drivers heads don't get buffered about at 300+kmh currently due to air flow being controlled by all the winglets etc, they don't use wind tunnels for flying kites mate :laugh:. Cheers

Also lets not forget the image is purely one potential design of what could be many, the possibilities are only limited by our own minds, hows the saying go, "If you can imagine it's possible, then it probably is"

Cheers

Last edited:
Lola-mb-01.jpg

that's why.

Its a blind hole..

Okay Here is the flaw in your theory I have highlighted it for you in the quote above. Please think about your theory and the direction of the air flow. You are claiming that the air flow over an F1 cockpit is the same as blowing straight down on a drilled hole that is tiny compared to the cockpit opening.
1. Airflow is from the front of an F1 car, it does not blow straight down on the cockpit from above.
2. An F1 cockpit is NOT a blind hole as you describe, you're forgetting about the drivers legs.
Do I need to continue, I'd rather not.

Cheers

Your making yourself look like a 1st year student.
give up wile you can.
Simple fact is air flow against a object that's within a enclosed area will be pushed towards the on coming air pressure.
Like I said before this design will pull a mans head off @ 200 mph.
You can try to divert the air flow but that will only make it miss the engine intake above the drivers head.

The engine intake is 1 to 2" above the drivers head.
if that air flow that's being redirected with the front wind screen goes above the air intake the engine will over heat.
If its below it + 2" the drivers head will come off.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • More leagues

Votes: 12 20.3%
  • Prizes

Votes: 10 16.9%
  • Trophies

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 4 6.8%