The hardware wars are here. What will you do?

BertramRaven

Premium
I'm at a crossroads. My gaming PC died some time ago. My "work" PC is a monster for AI workloads but with VR (even with forced SLI and an unlocked bios) it is not the best experience.
So, what would you do to enhance your sim-racing experience?

Something tells me that motherboard is PCIe generation 2. RTX3080 is PCIe generation 4. The 3080 may work on the mobo, but it would be like trying to get a good lap-time at Buckmore Park with a Ferrari.

Ha-ha, no, it's gen 3.

1600268743754.png

Upvote 0
My (budget) PC is only 3month old, so no need there.

I don´t plan on going VR, so no need there.

I´ve built the pedals i need/want, you recognise the pattern:rolleyes:

I´d like a new DD wheel base but can´t justify the cost.
It probably won´t make me a better driver.

So what I would need is coaching...

but probably i will blow the cash on tech :(

MFG Carsten

You need a DD you just dont know it yet. Theres no going back once you do.

Upvote 0
Don´t say things like that.:sick:

I might believe you and try to sell a child to afford a DD wheel
( i don´t own any)

In the momentary situation there will be no DD wheel for me!!

( Must believe, must be strong, don´t do anything stupid...)

MFG Carsten

Upvote 0
I cant do any of the options. Upgrading my aging 960 to a 3090 is like going from 100hp to 2000hp without upgrading anything else like brakes, suspension etc. And it wont even fit.

Upgrading cpu and motherboard without doing the gpu and ram is equally daft. Upgrading the lot would cost more than a new system alltogether.

Better wheels and pedals? Yes please, but forget about being able to afford it. Need a bespoke rig for them aswell.

One on one training? Sure, but not needed. Not because I'm alien fast, which I'm not, but because I dont care. As long as I'm having fun, I dont care what speed I go :)

Upvote 0
Don´t say things like that.:sick:

I might believe you and try to sell a child to afford a DD wheel
( i don´t own any)

In the momentary situation there will be no DD wheel for me!!

( Must believe, must be strong, don´t do anything stupid...)

MFG Carsten

Two best things i did for sim racing motion and the dd wheel. All the sims get much better with a DD.

Upvote 0
  1. Reverb G2 on pre-order;
  2. Waiting to see what AMD might bring to the table with the "Big Navi"..otherwise it will be a 3080 - once the grouptests are done and it's clear which is the "one to get";
  3. Waiting for the AMD Zen 3 CPU's;
  4. Curved screen of some description, still assessing what size screen would sneak under the wife radar...:)

Upvote 0
If you have the cash to spend it's pretty hard to find the hardware right now.

- HP Reverb G2 release date still unknown
- 3080 impossible to get one for the next couple of months
- Flight controls : Joysticks and throttles are out of stock everywhere.

So right now it's not only about what you want, but also what's available and how long are you willing to wait.

Upvote 0
If you have the cash to spend it's pretty hard to find the hardware right now.

- HP Reverb G2 release date still unknown
- 3080 impossible to get one for the next couple of months
- Flight controls : Joysticks and throttles are out of stock everywhere.

So right now it's not only about what you want, but also what's available and how long are you willing to wait.

Bingo!

Since Covid-19 and people generally staying home more all this stuff has become high demand.

However, ALL of this stuff is disposable so don't sweat it. Something better will come out and this will all suddenly look ancient!

Upvote 0
Bingo!

Since Covid-19 and people generally staying home more all this stuff has become high demand.

However, ALL of this stuff is disposable so don't sweat it. Something better will come out and this will all suddenly look ancient!

I know it's not the end of the world :D

I'm still very happy with my Index and 2080ti combo, the only thing that really bothers me right now is that the flight controls are out of stock.

With the Index, i'm much more patient then i was with the rift.

3000 series card is nice, but not needed for any game on the monitor and no use at all for RaceRoom, but i would be nice to have for the other sims.

Upvote 0
I know it's not the end of the world :D

I'm still very happy with my Index and 2080ti combo, the only thing that really bothers me right now is that the flight controls are out of stock.

With the Index, i'm much more patient then i was with the rift.

3000 series card is nice, but not needed for any game on the monitor and no use at all for RaceRoom, but i would be nice to have for the other sims.

I'm still looking to revamp my quick release mounts for my flight controls. I haven't used them in a while. At one point I was thinking about the NLR Traction Plus and was trying to shed weight and in the process removed my flight control mounts, but I'm looking to put them back soon hopefully with cleaner faster quick releases.

Upvote 0
An experiment with a work companion shows ACC on Dual RTX2080 (Not 'ti', Forced AFR) > RTX3080. With AMS2, PC2, and PC3 (please forgive me) it made no difference.
I'll stick with my two 2080's - they paid for themselves in consulting work many times over. Now they get to play :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm still looking to revamp my quick release mounts for my flight controls. I haven't used them in a while. At one point I was thinking about the NLR Traction Plus and was trying to shed weight and in the process removed my flight control mounts, but I'm looking to put them back soon hopefully with cleaner faster quick releases.

I'm currently working on a solution for that right now :D

I have ordered a Thrustmaster T16.000M flight pack, it's pretty basic to start with, but i'm still unsure if flightsims are my thing.

I was looking in ordering the Warthog, but then you also need a good set of rudders and they all seem to be out of stock everywhere and might be harder to get than a 3080 right now.

Besides that, it's kind of crazy to spend a thousand bucks on something you might not even like.

The next challenge is the quickmounts. They need to be easy, fast and secure because i have to remove them every time.

So i guess ......... we are both building again instead of racing.

Upvote 0
I'm currently working on a solution for that right now :D

I have ordered a Thrustmaster T16.000M flight pack, it's pretty basic to start with, but i'm still unsure if flightsims are my thing.

I was looking in ordering the Warthog, but then you also need a good set of rudders and they all seem to be out of stock everywhere and might be harder to get than a 3080 right now.

Besides that, it's kind of crazy to spend a thousand bucks on something you might not even like.

The next challenge is the quickmounts. They need to be easy, fast and secure because i have to remove them every time.

So i guess ......... we are both building again instead of racing.

I've got a pile of aluminum in my shop to make new improved mounts, but it's been sitting there for a little while. I've got my 3D printer working and my new hydration solution working well and I'm just spit balling my next button box. At the moment I'm waiting for the mood to grab me to dig in, and I have the raw materials here when that happens, but I'm pretty full up with work right now so I have this waiting for me when I have the time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • More leagues

Votes: 17 23.3%
  • Prizes

Votes: 16 21.9%
  • Trophies

Votes: 7 9.6%