The hardware wars are here. What will you do?

BertramRaven

Premium
I'm at a crossroads. My gaming PC died some time ago. My "work" PC is a monster for AI workloads but with VR (even with forced SLI and an unlocked bios) it is not the best experience.
So, what would you do to enhance your sim-racing experience?

You didn’t leave the inevitable option for “more iRacing cars and/or tracks”.
I just ordered my SC2 and all the parts I need to build a GT rim and Formula rim using the wireless button module. I just bought HE Sprints. I have a 5700XT already which is more than enough for every sim I drive in VR on my Rift S. I plan on just enjoying my rig as is for a year before thinking about hardware and upgrades.

Upvote 0
sli doesnt work with vr and a 980 isnt enough for vr so youll be better going to a rtx-30xx card
980 does work with VR, but not ACC. It was the first card to be certified for the Vive :)
SLI with VR can be made to work with twin RTX2080 or twin RTX2080ti using a NVLink-HB (not the typical SLI bridge) and a bit of options hacking. I've set mine to render not one but two frames and forcing AFR. This will show SLI usage across the two cards for VR. Taking the frame-rate on ACC up from 53 to 90ish. Locking the framerate at 90 for the original VIVE is a good idea. I could never get PhysX to work with ACC, though.
I mostly use these cards for AI/ML, so the NVLInk-HB (which is really for Quadros) is something peculiar to me and those who know the hacky work-around. The standard NVLink bridge won't work, it needs the HB model. :geek:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My 4790K + 1080 Ti + Oculus Rift S + Assetto Corsa works well and is able to run Assetto Corsa at 80 fps all the time. I have most details to max or very high. I am lucky in the sense that I do not like racing, so hotlaping without any cars on screens is not too demanding. I would like however, to increase the supersampling for a crisper image. Since my CPU is very old, my next step will be replacing my motherboard, CPU and RAM. I'm considering a Ryzen 3700 in case the new 5000 models are not released before the end of the year. With that I will definitelly improve the performance. As regard my graphic card, I will wait until the new Ti models are released or we can benefit from price drops. Maybe a 370 TI would be a good candidate, but I will wait until I can get one for less than 500€. I may also consider a 3800 model, in case I see I need extra power for future VR headsets with higher resolution and hz rate.

Upvote 0
Hoping for the RTX3080. Have new DD wheel on the way (been waiting 2 months, so hope it is soon), and new pedals. I am guessing it will be another 3-6 months before it is easy to get the RTX3080, so I am guessing I will be waiting there as well, but I am good with that during these times.

Upvote 0
My (budget) PC is only 3month old, so no need there.

I don´t plan on going VR, so no need there.

I´ve built the pedals i need/want, you recognise the pattern:rolleyes:

I´d like a new DD wheel base but can´t justify the cost.
It probably won´t make me a better driver.

So what I would need is coaching...

but probably i will blow the cash on tech :(

MFG Carsten

Upvote 0
I'm already in the process of purchasing new wheels, pedals, etc as the G27 needs to go.

I picked up my 2070 at a great price shortly after the SC versions came out, so it'll be fine for a while still. Very impressed by what I'm reading about the RTX 3xxx tho!

Upvote 0
I'm curious what/if AMD can offer any sort of competition to the new NVidia cards.. as I've always been quite fond of my Ati/AMD cards.
As the GPU is by far the oldest piece in my sim puzzle (ignoring the hardware base for my pedals and shifter), GPU it is.

...also because I need it for the new FS2020 :cautious:

Upvote 0
980 does work with VR, but not ACC. It was the first card to be certified for the Vive :)
SLI with VR can be made to work with twin RTX2080 or twin RTX2080ti using a NVLink-HB (not the typical SLI bridge) and a bit of options hacking. I've set mine to render not one but two frames and forcing AFR. This will show SLI usage across the two cards for VR. Taking the frame-rate on ACC up from 53 to 90ish. Locking the framerate at 90 for the original VIVE is a good idea. I could never get PhysX to work with ACC, though.
I mostly use these cards for AI/ML, so the NVLInk-HB (which is really for Quadros) is something peculiar to me and those who know the hacky work-around. The standard NVLink bridge won't work, it needs the HB model. :geek:

You are going to drive yourself nuts trying to get the SLI working.... Why don't you just rip out your finger nails? That will be less painful.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Meanwhile at home...
The Choice is Made.png

Upvote 0

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 25 23.4%
  • More leagues

Votes: 22 20.6%