The Great Motion-Haptics Debate

I almost went with PT, but wanted to support a US company. In addition it seems like PT iterate hardware versions at the drop of a dime. When I was going to buy it, it had only been out for a few months, but they said I should wait because they were coming out with a new version. That was a red flag for me.

What that means is that as they evolve their product, people who purchased early are left in the cold. They also are not really in the software game. So now your ongoing use of your system is dependent upon two different vendors, PT for the hardware and SRS for the software.

I decided to stick with SimExperience. I am happy I did because of the maturity and the quality of their software. In addition, it is clear that they spent a lot of time designing and testing and building the system, so there is no need for a new version. I am comfortable that I won’t be out dated a year from now. However, I do wish it was quieter :)

I would not buy the pt based on the fact that it only works with SRS. I am using SRS temporarily until the next release of simtools and its seatbelt implementation is awful. If you are looking for off the shelf I guess that leaves simx which gets good reviews as you know.

Thanks all, guess I’ll prioritize a TST for more tactile and skip the PT Tension R.

Though With a g-belt, how does it attach to the back of the seat? Seems it’s designed to fit the G-seat, but I have an NRG Prisma.

Thanks all, guess I’ll prioritize a TST for more tactile and skip the PT Tension R.

Though With a g-belt, how does it attach to the back of the seat? Seems it’s designed to fit the G-seat, but I have an NRG Prisma.

I have an NRG Prisma as well.
There is a paper template that you use to drill two 6mm holes.
drillholes_6716.jpg
BoltedIn_6718.jpg

Of course, this is what this thread is for- to discuss these two technologies as options. I have both motion/tension and haptics (including previously telemetry driven, but now audio driven)

I can turn off haptics and live without it, I can’t turn off motion/tension and live without it

Note that although not as perfect an experience as mounting to the seat, if you absolutely don’t want to mount to the seat, Gbelt has an optional bracket for connecting directly to your rig. Although not ideal, it is better than no seat belt tensioner. As RCHeliGuy shows, it’s not hard to prep the seat.

Last edited:
Removing the big control boxes will make it easy to fit on almost any rig, so the smaller form factor is a nice update. I'm curious if the mounting solutions will put them out further away from the chassis like they typically recommend.

I still haven't figured out a mobile solution that would fit my space, but now that I have a large Mill and Lathe at my disposal, I may be able to fabricate a solution if I'm creative enough. I don't want anything time consuming to setup. No rush, but it's a nice challenge I can chip away over time :)

Spending the weekend installing triple monitors so the rig is all torn down, but here are some images of Gen 5 and it’s tiny control hub(bolted with a pair of m3 bolts under the pedal deck for now). I don’t think the LFE shake will harm it…or all the cables nearby either. At least no issues yet…

Also wild that the D-box setup in the GamerMuscle video has them spaced at the four corners. I’m told to form as close to a square as possible…

I do like those extended brackets, mine work well but they take up extra real estate on the rail itself(had to move my Fanatec power brick placement).

image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg

Oh and if you have a smooth floor surface, felt sliders underneath my actuators(and rubber pads as shown) allow the rig to be pulled and moved, easier if you unbolt the seat and pedal deck to offload more weight as I did to give clearance to my monitor stand.

I've got pretty thick carpeting with a decent pad over concrete.

Do these actuators bolt directly to the profile? Or is there a bracket hiding?

Is the thin grey box part of the D-Box system?

Yea, brackets are hiding. Bolt simply under the rail on both sides of each actuator. Very small, they are the AdvancedSimRacing brackets specific to that reseller.

The tiny slim box is indeed the D-box. All four actuators plug into it via CAT connections, while a single USB feeds to the pc and a power cable goes to the strip.

Each actuator also plugs direct into power but in pairs via a Y-splitter cable. So three total power plugs to run the D-Box. Cable mess is more tidy than I show when rig is setup proper.

6A513B03-89CC-4762-B6CD-AAB2651FF4BF.jpeg
ED70E655-33EF-410C-A740-10FD1D269EF3.jpeg3A696B20-E117-45C5-A055-59050F6C40C6.jpeg8C4F7E73-DCB1-4788-AE4B-9217838B328C.jpeg

Hmmm......

I wonder how large furniture sliding pads and a 330lb hand jack to lift the back of the chassis and each front side to pull the sliding pads out from under the actuator pads when it's in position?

I think I would want something for the jack to fit into easily so the chassis doesn't get scratched up.

Sort of like your felt slider idea except for carpet. We use furniture sliding pads for our large eliptical machine which is a few hundred pounds.

Last edited:
Hmmm......

I wonder how large furniture sliding pads and a 330lb hand jack to lift the back of the chassis and each front side to pull the sliding pads out from under the actuator pads when it's in position?

I think I would want something for the jack to fit into easily so the chassis doesn't get scratched up.

Sort of like your felt slider idea except for carpet. We use furniture sliding pads for our large eliptical machine which is a few hundred pounds.
I use a car jack to lift and swap the furniture pads in and out . I had two mousepad plates from advanced sim racing that I bolted onto the bottom of each pillar (left and right) of the steering wheel column. There are bolted on vertically and kind of look like little wings. I place the jack under the plate rather than the rig itself. Works perfectly with no rig damage

I barely need a keyboard, but did setup a velcro trackball mouse on my rig that works very well. Of course it currently isn't moving, so there are many things like this that I may have to look at closely if I decide to do the Box.
MouseTray_6030.jpg

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 125 85.6%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 24 16.4%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 23 15.8%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 18 12.3%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 44 30.1%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 50 34.2%