Test Drive Unlimited: Servers To Be Shut Down Soon

Atari & Eden Games recently announced that their MMORG (Massive Multiplayer Online Racing Game) will cease to exist - as an PC online game - come end of September. The servers are scheduled to go offline forever on the 29th of this month. However, if players decide to boot up TDU afterwards they'll still be able to play offline - yet, that's a bit more lonely than most players might have gotten used to during recent years.

Having been released in 2007, TDU continued to suffer from losing more and more players recently. After around 5 years that's most certainly only natural. Similar current games are Burnout: Paradise, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit and Forza Horizon - although neither of them is, to our current knowledge, focused on playing online as much as TDU was and still is for 4 weeks to come.

[source: teamvvv.com | image: gamereactor]
View the Post on the Blog

It doesn't mention TDU2 and seeing that it's been on the market for only around 18 months I'd say it's unlikely TDU2 will be affected as well. :)

There's a guy on TDU-Central who owns a datacenter in Spain. He's asking about getting hold of Atari to take over the servers.. so there's still hope. Assuming Atari will actually respond.

I don't think they will answer.
The IP for main server is encrypted in data base, that would need to patch the game.
This mean working on TDU 1 ... I doubt they will do it.

Ha, well if work is required on their part then it's maybe unlikely. However if money is involved perhaps that could be an incentive? :)

Servers are closed mate.

Now... well we move on. It seems Atari, despite saying they had passed the idea on to the team, have decided to do nothing.

I recommend Forza Horizon.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • More leagues

Votes: 40 19.1%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.6%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • Forum trophies