The start

So with a P1-X rig in place, a decent 2080ti PC silently running in the background, triple monitors and a HTC Vive Pro VR headset on hand, I thought all was well in the world, but something was still missing from the emersion of any sim I loaded... at first I thought motion should be the port of call to bring things to life more, so with SFX-100 bits 3D printed the plan was motion all the way...

A spanner in the works...

However, searching through YouTube and Instagram, the old Buttkicker Gamer2 kept cropping up (at this stage I wasn't a RaceDepartment member and the genius that is @Mr Latte was unknown to me). So, a BK G2 was winging its way to me for testing / playing with, although not ideal for the P1-X rig it gave me insight and an understanding of tactile, by the way, a BK G2 can produce some decent energy, its like the metal arm it's connected to somehow amplifies the small transducer. It can rattle the P1-X but in a very broad and underwhelming way, it simply wasn't specific or concentrated enough to a specific area, that area being my butt / Sparco seat.

I'd thought about a way to connect it directly to the seat (while still allowing the seat to slide on the rails), but it just didn't seem like it was going to work, I'd also never considered having 4 Mini LFE's on the corners of the P1-X, especially after having the BK G2 connected to it, knowing how the rig just seems to dissipate the energy from the BK G2 I figured it would do the same to any other transducer I added to corners, it did make me wonder why SimLabs would sell special brackets for such things, but thats for another day. So the question was what to do now...?

RaceDepartment

Whilst browsing through Instagram I'd come across a guy posting pics of his rig build, a DM later he'd mentioned "exciters" that could connect directly to a hard shell seat vis its 3M VHB adhesive and within that chat a mention of @Mr Latte on the RaceDepartment forum... so after some reading of the 100 or so pages of the Tactile Immersion thread, the plan was formulated (from the bits I understood in and amongst the pages and pages of tactile discussions)... 8 x Dayton Audio DAEX32EP-4 transducers, 4 Douk Audio Nobsound Amps (NS-010G) and some isolation of the seat with the BK G2 being moved to the pedal plate and get that isolated somehow.

And it begins...

The exciters and amps arrived the next day (thanks to the might Amazon) and were played with on different surfaces to see what they could do. I was impressed with how they turned pretty much any solid surface in to a full range speaker, although this wasn't the purpose of them, it was impressive to hear it work, with the DAEX32EO-4 only being 40W I went with small 50W per channel Nobsound amps (NS-01G), no point in the 100w type with the exciters being so small. They are attached to the seat, as follows:

2 shoulders / wings (Left/Right)
2 at lower back / spine (Left/Right)
2 at bolsters (Left/Right)
2 under the seat (towards the front so as to be positioned near the front of the thighs - Left/Right)

General rig / setup as of 12th May 2020

Rig

SimLabs P1-X with Quad Monitor Stand
Sparco Evo II Seat
3 x Gigabyte Aorus 27" CV27F Curved (1500R)
1 x Dell 25"
HTC Vive Pro VR
Fanatec ClubSport V2.5
Fanatec Clubsport Formula V2, Porsche 918 RSR & GT Motorsport wheels
Fanatec ClubSport Pedals V3
Fanatec ClubSport Shifter SQ V1.5
Fanatec ClubSport Handbrake V1.5
Button Box

PC
Overclocked (4.9GHz) i9 9900K
EVGA RTX 2080Ti 11GB
32GB DDR4
2 x 1TB SSD
Hardline Watercooled
SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless Headphones

Tactile
Behringer NX3000D (3.5mm to XLR)
1x Buttkicker Concert (SpeakOn to Banana)
1 x Buttkicker Gamer2 (wired to SpeakOn)
4x Nobsound NS-01G
8x Dayton Audio DAEX32EP-4 Exciters
SimHub

It all seemed very promising...

So after some initial setup and playing with SimHub, I was up and running 6 exciters, Shoulders, Lower Back and Bolsters (all Left & Right) from my 7.1 sound card with the other 2 exciters (under the seat) running on a mono channel paired with the BK G2 at the pedals, 8 Custom Channels in all, on SimHub, not ideal with the G2 and the exciters under seat all firing on the same 2 channels at the same time but it was working none the less, I had 8 exciters and the G2 working.

Instantly it was far better than I expected, these small exciters were doing their job, there was a bit of a rattle at the shoulders from time to time and what I thought was the exciter "pang'ing" the seat shell, but once setup in SimHub there was clearly left and right channels working as I drove over bumps, curbs and so on... with the SteelSeries headphones the only thing I could hear was the sim (engine, road noise etc...) and I could feel the tactile, bumps and gear changes through the seat, it was immersive. Yes it was early days and it got better as I started to understand SimHub a little more and found the right volume in SimHub combined with the right amp volume, but I was just scratching the surface and I knew I could do better with a little guidance...

The generosity of strangers!

I needed help, and the person best to help would be the man who's very idea of small exciters had put me on this journey... @Mr Latte. His help has been instrumental in getting to the point of having the 8 exciters, a BK Concert and Gamer2 hooked up with the NX3000D and all running on different SimHub layers, those layers being complex and custom with Speed, RPMS, Road Vibration, Impacts, Wheelslip and Gear Change, all running to specific transducers and focusing on the Ferrari 488 in ACC (generally at Spa) so we have a baseline for constant comparison and feedback.

The exciters on there own are fantastic and as a budget solution are great, what stands out with them is the 40Hz and above range with specific body parts feeling the tactile / energy well, right shoulder, right bolster / thigh on a curb as you bump / run over it and so on.

With that said though, when adding the G2 at the pedals and the BK Concert attached directly to the seat... the immersion and range from 0Hh through to 200Hz is what I can only describe as overwhelming, but it a good way, almost overload on the senses, in a way that makes you laugh out load... my cheeks, chin and eye lids shaking as the 488 takes a corner at speed, leaving the 488 pulled over on the track and the engine idling, you would swear there was a car parked in the house.... without a shadow of a doubt.

So the BK Concert combined with the small tactile exciters works and works well, imagine the speed building from under the seat, to the lower back and bolsters then as speed builds it continues up the seat where at top end the shoulders are feeling the energy of it all... it is quite simply the missing link between the FFB from the wheelbase and the rest of your body, it makes such a difference to being immersed in the sim.

On from this came the isolation of the seat from the frame, to stop the energy (or reduce the energy) from passing to the rig frame and dissipating. This was the next big eye opener, feeling all that energy from 9 transducer stay in the seat took things up a level.

So this thread / post is all very generally at the moment and I'll certainly go in to more detail with those that would like to know more, there is still plenty to do, the pedal isolation isn't finished, nor is the seat isolation, by doing it all to this stage I can see how important it is to have the energy stay where I want it and not leak out (like a water leak would, given the chance), we want the energy to enter the body and our touch / contact points, not the P1-X frame.

I'll begin to post more pics and the odd SimHub screen shot as further progress is made and give greater insight in to my opinion of the setup working and its failings. This tactile combined with SFX-100 motion would be unreal.

79D957C3-D325-4598-AC92-228CAB026DAA.jpeg

C5CD7E35-0EC7-4F69-8DCE-A93E5FD81478.jpeg

Then came this purchase

C958AC2C-F5D2-45CF-8DC5-E2262414739D.jpeg

9366EE7B-4AF1-406C-B848-34BF91A0E881.jpeg

Monitors needed to be stripped back to cater for the increase height on the seat with the isolators.

2D5E288E-013F-4C1A-9EEA-B545FA0A159C.jpeg

Temporary isolation, some plates are required to cater for the 64mm rubber feet - This is a @Mr Lattee solution and it really does work.

207C6B17-112F-4582-A471-2A3F2CE041CE.jpeg

3679A825-F8E1-48CB-A862-3B049348B2B3.jpeg

Last edited:
@Codeias This is a fantastic thread - you've really put some thought and effort into this. I'm on a very similar journey thanks to @Mr Latte !!!

Which sound card are you using for the output?

Thanks, it takes a bit of time and money but we’re getting there! Its a startech 7.1 usb external sound card, had to go external as I run an antec mini cube tower and was maxed out with internal slots. Decent bit of hit for the money to be fair!

Upvote 0
Is that a proper FIA seat or just a Sparco gaming seat Codeias?
I bought the FIA version don’t expire until 2024 seems harsh taking the drill to it :D
View attachment 373136
haha.. yeah I get that... just the gaming one, so was never going to go in a car... I guess it depends if you’re ever going to need to sell it or use it for a track day... if so, just run the wires as best you can... if not... go full send and drill away!!

Upvote 0
Great right up! Mr. Latte lead me over here, and this is a great place for me to start for tactile on my rig I think! I would love to copy/ask you some questions on some stuff if you don't mind!

For starter, what exactly is an exciter? Is this what people bolt to large pieces of wood or material and then let that "amplify" the sound?

Also if I was just to start with the exciters but no buttkicker, would that still give me the tactile feel I want to start with? I was thinking maybe 4 instead of 8?

Thanks @vanka472 much appreciated. No, feel free to ask further questions if you need to. No exciters are small transducers, Google Dayton Audio DAEX32EP-4 and you’ll see the ones used in this build (as well as many other build of RD) they work really well being attached directly to a seat with a hard shell... they use 3M’s VHB adhesive / tape to attached directly...

Yes, starting with just the exciters and amps to power them is a great place to dip your toe, they really do work and immerse you in the sim... they’re not going to get anywhere near the low Hz as a buttkicker so don’t expect to have your bones / skull rattled but they provide very focused and body specific tactile feedback, I was also really surprised just how much they can vibrate at 40Hz and above... 4 is a good start, where are you thinking of placing them?

Upvote 0
Thanks, it takes a bit of time and money but we’re getting there! Its a startech 7.1 usb external sound card, had to go external as I run an antec mini cube tower and was maxed out with internal slots. Decent bit of hit for the money to be fair!
Assume you're combining that with onboard as there's not enough outputs to drive all of you transducers? I will give this a go as this is exactly what I need (external sound card).

Upvote 0
Have a play about with the brakes and tyre wear when you some time,
I feel makes a big difference
custom tyre wear curve is all 4 corners but my brakes is only on my pedals gives a lovely effect really helps fine tuning the edge of the grip just before the tyres start locking,
food for thought anyways.

Upvote 0
Have a play about with the brakes and tyre wear when you some time,
I feel makes a big difference
custom tyre wear curve is all 4 corners but my brakes is only on my pedals gives a lovely effect really helps fine tuning the edge of the grip just before the tyres start locking,
food for thought anyways.

Thanks for the direction / insight... so much more to do yet. so many layers to add and refine, just trying to take it slow, understand what works and what doesn’t and feedback accordingly... @Mr Latte has knowledge and understanding far beyond that of anything my little brain can handle!

Upvote 0
Thanks for the direction / insight... so much more to do yet. so many layers to add and refine, just trying to take it slow, understand what works and what doesn’t and feedback accordingly... @Mr Latte has knowledge and understanding far beyond that of anything my little brain can handle!
Yeah its so frustrating, 2-3 weeks back spent like 3-4hrs sorted all my settings and everything out got it all dialed in to perfection again,
I made some hardware and software changes and unplugged my amps so needed configuring again,
installed a RTX 2080TI Evga watercooled card played with the overclocking on my PC it all crashed and now the settings on my soundcard have all gone tits up wasnt the best idea I ever had now no time to play with it,hopefully in the next few weeks have some time :D

Upvote 0
Im ALWAYS excited to find people that want to explore new effects potential.
Still a bunch I have early work on and want to relook at as well as custom effects.

@Scott If your good with the code side of things to instruct the telemetry then one specific thing I want to work on is the traction loss potential for front/rear wheels.

I've noticed we can get some nice sensations over hill crests with G-Force
Something also that would work better with the chassis bottoming would be interesting.

Upvote 0
Yeah its so frustrating, 2-3 weeks back spent like 3-4hrs sorted all my settings and everything out got it all dialed in to perfection again,
I made some hardware and software changes and unplugged my amps so needed configuring again,
installed a RTX 2080TI Evga watercooled card played with the overclocking on my PC it all crashed and now the settings on my soundcard have all gone tits up wasnt the best idea I ever had now no time to play with it,hopefully in the next few weeks have some time :D

what a pain, feel for you! @CC I had a similar thing when I stripped it all back down to increase the monitor height to allow for seat isolators and the additional height they bring... I decided to tidy connections, USB etc... lost all the channels in SimHub... had to start again, weird thing is, the channels changed completely, where channel 1 was left lower back, it was now left shoulder etc... ah well... you live and learn! I’ve not been able to get in it for a few days now, just too busy with work etc... all in good time!!

Upvote 0
what a pain, feel for you! @CC I had a similar thing when I stripped it all back down to increase the monitor height to allow for seat isolators and the additional height they bring... I decided to tidy connections, USB etc... lost all the channels in SimHub... had to start again, weird thing is, the channels changed completely, where channel 1 was left lower back, it was now left shoulder etc... ah well... you live and learn! I’ve not been able to get in it for a few days now, just too busy with work etc... all in good time!!
Yes its hard to find the time I got lucky last time everything ended up using the same channels exact same 100% was really pleased,
got it dialed in just lovely then tried getting my i7-9700k to 5.2ghz was stable at 4.9 and now 5.0 but it crashed and wouldnt boot,
when it finally booted my soundcard settings I configured something happened,
Channel 1-4 seems fine but channels 5-6 are also coming out of channels 7-8 the last 2 LFE Mini,
I played with it maybe 30 minutes and couldnt work out what happened so left it,
wants a good 4-5-6hrs throwing at it all again its so annoying but ill be back to it soon hopefully :D

Upvote 0
Im ALWAYS excited to find people that want to explore new effects potential.
Still a bunch I have early work on and want to relook at as well as custom effects.

@Scott If your good with the code side of things to instruct the telemetry then one specific thing I want to work on is the traction loss potential for front/rear wheels.

I've noticed we can get some nice sensations over hill crests with G-Force
Something also that would work better with the chassis bottoming would be interesting.
Yes that would be great I wanted to add a few more custom settings into mine as well,
I like the tyre wear I have currently you can really feel the difference, but still think there is a lot of potential left in the settings,
the brake ones I made for my Sprints personally maybe its just a preference thing I liked the fake rumble I used to get with my Fanatec pedals,
that kinda emulates that but takes it a step further,
the custom traction loss sounds interesting to look into for sure,
I just got a DD2 and hopefully soon a new rig so ill try and get it all working and setup again just nice be awesome with some kind of settings database where we could store all this information and the profiles we could share,
maybe I could ask Bram nicely to make us a place where we could upload them :)

Upvote 0
Yes its hard to find the time I got lucky last time everything ended up using the same channels exact same 100% was really pleased,
got it dialed in just lovely then tried getting my i7-9700k to 5.2ghz was stable at 4.9 and now 5.0 but it crashed and wouldnt boot,
when it finally booted my soundcard settings I configured something happened,
Channel 1-4 seems fine but channels 5-6 are also coming out of channels 7-8 the last 2 LFE Mini,
I played with it maybe 30 minutes and couldnt work out what happened so left it,
wants a good 4-5-6hrs throwing at it all again its so annoying but ill be back to it soon hopefully :D
Good luck Scott!

Reactions: CC
Upvote 0
Hello ! this is a very cool job! fine! - please help me ! I'm at the very beginning of the journey ...

I can not understand what amplifiers you use? how many pieces and how did you spread everything through the channels? - do you use one amplifier at the buck kicker concert? and how did you connect the little ones? can you share the wiring diagram? I will be very grateful

Upvote 0
Thanks @vanka472 much appreciated. No, feel free to ask further questions if you need to. No exciters are small transducers, Google Dayton Audio DAEX32EP-4 and you’ll see the ones used in this build (as well as many other build of RD) they work really well being attached directly to a seat with a hard shell... they use 3M’s VHB adhesive / tape to attached directly...

Yes, starting with just the exciters and amps to power them is a great place to dip your toe, they really do work and immerse you in the sim... they’re not going to get anywhere near the low Hz as a buttkicker so don’t expect to have your bones / skull rattled but they provide very focused and body specific tactile feedback, I was also really surprised just how much they can vibrate at 40Hz and above... 4 is a good start, where are you thinking of placing them?

I was originally planning on getting the AST-B2 but these are much better priced and at still being about 40-50w units, I would rather have more spanned over a larger area for different effects. Honestly its brilliant and what makes me truly excited is the fact that it isn't as hard as I thought it would be to do!

I was thinking of starting with 4 only to get a handle on them, so I was thinking of 2 under the legs and 2 on the lower back area, but if you have a better idea I am all ears! Honestly, the next 4 will probably be on their way once I get these installed, I just wanna see how they feel and if I need to do more or less of them.

I can't believe they are stick on and they don't rattle too much or more so just fall off! Did you have any issues with the curvature of the seat? I have a Bride Vios III (I can link a picture if you need) and I am afraid the shoulder ones will be hard to get mounted. Might help to visualize once I get them in hand as well.

As far as the amps, the ones you linked are 2x right? So for 8 of them, I would need 4. Are there any 4x50 amps you looked at or potentially building your own? The price on these is okay, but if I can get a 4x then that might be better in the long run (Also for cable management). I think in one of the pictures I saw you had mounted them straight to the 8020 and that was pretty cool. A great way to keep it clean. Do you like the 7.1 card you have as well? I like Mr. Latte saying that running all 8 to the same sound card for the sake of keeping the exciters together is smart. USB would be ideal as all my PCI slots are taken...

Also is the NS-01G have a built-in soundcard? I am having difficulty figuring out the wiring diagram.

Exciters>Amp>Soundcard?

I too am a Mini guy, F54 over here! Thanks a lot for your help mate, much appreciated!

Cheers

Edit: Added more questions, lol

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hello ! this is a very cool job! fine! - please help me ! I'm at the very beginning of the journey ...

I can not understand what amplifiers you use? how many pieces and how did you spread everything through the channels? - do you use one amplifier at the buck kicker concert? and how did you connect the little ones? can you share the wiring diagram? I will be very grateful
No problem @DaimodICE for the amp’s just google Nobsound, they have a range of small amp that work well... it really depends what you need / want, I’ve seen plenty using the NS2-20G, I went with NS-01G as they’re smaller / cheaper and can act as a individual soundcard too, although I’ve ended up not needing the soundcard element, the 7.1 channel soundcard is connected (with 3.5mm jacks) to each amp (I have 4 amps for the 8 exciters), each amp then drives 2 exciters (Left / Right).

Upvote 0
I was originally planning on getting the AST-B2 but these are much better priced and at still being about 40-50w units, I would rather have more spanned over a larger area for different effects. Honestly its brilliant and what makes me truly excited is the fact that it isn't as hard as I thought it would be to do!

I was thinking of starting with 4 only to get a handle on them, so I was thinking of 2 under the legs and 2 on the lower back area, but if you have a better idea I am all ears! Honestly, the next 4 will probably be on their way once I get these installed, I just wanna see how they feel and if I need to do more or less of them.

I can't believe they are stick on and they don't rattle too much or more so just fall off! Did you have any issues with the curvature of the seat? I have a Bride Vios III (I can link a picture if you need) and I am afraid the shoulder ones will be hard to get mounted. Might help to visualize once I get them in hand as well.

As far as the amps, the ones you linked are 2x right? So for 8 of them, I would need 4. Are there any 4x50 amps you looked at or potentially building your own? The price on these is okay, but if I can get a 4x then that might be better in the long run (Also for cable management). I think in one of the pictures I saw you had mounted them straight to the 8020 and that was pretty cool. A great way to keep it clean. Do you like the 7.1 card you have as well? I like Mr. Latte saying that running all 8 to the same sound card for the sake of keeping the exciters together is smart. USB would be ideal as all my PCI slots are taken...

Also is the NS-01G have a built-in soundcard? I am having difficulty figuring out the wiring diagram.

Exciters>Amp>Soundcard?

I too am a Mini guy, F54 over here! Thanks a lot for your help mate, much appreciated!

Cheers

Edit: Added more questions, lol
ah the good old Mini... mines a stupidly modified R56, it has Meth Injection (amongst other things) more track focused but used for fast road really. Doesn’t get driven much, bit of a garage queen over the last couple of years.

EE831135-766D-42C0-B565-7C7226CE438A.jpeg

7BE563A6-3ABC-41EA-B5C0-AF09B03D7176.jpeg

Anyway, back to the matter at hand... yes, I went with the 01G as they’re only 50W, seemed suited well to the 40W exciters and thinking I’d use the built in soundcard, it’s a handy feature to be able to use should you need to, but I ended up getting the external 7.1 card to tie it all together.

Yes, I have 4 amps running the 8 exciters, each amp driving the left and right of a pair, amp 1 drives left and right bolsters, amp 2 drive left and right lower back, amp 3 drives left and right shoulders and so on... means you can use the 8 channel custom configuration in SimHub.

Yep that’s right, they are mounted to the rig (under the seat) using 3M heavy duty Velcro so easy to take off and adjust when / where needed. I use that a lot to mount things, USB hubs, VR hub, the soundcard etc...

516D1B26-F1F2-4F1B-85D8-ECEB14007297.jpeg

80E598FE-1DE7-4A4A-88FD-40C23685D518.jpeg

For the sake of wiring, ignore the built in soundcard element of the amp, it’s simply 3.5mm jack from soundcard to each ‘Aux’ in on the amp, then amp to exciter. The amps come with the cables you’ll need!

As for the 3M VHB on the exciters I’ve found it to be excellent, no issues at all... strong adhesion and no problems with rattle, the wires rattled more, until I sorted that, I do have a very slight curvature to the shoulder wings but not much, I found that I needed to use a household wallpaper stripper type scraper to be able to get between the exciter housing and the VHB plate to be able to press down any element that didn’t adhere from simply pushing / pressing the exciter to the seat. A normal dining knife would do the job I think, I just found the scraper to be thinner in its height. (I hope that makes sense?!)

Yeah for the money the soundcard and it’s software is great, you’ll need to make sure you set it up in its software as 7.1 / 8 channels and adjust the EQ, just setting up in windows won’t do the job, it needs to be setup in windows and it’s own proprietary software. Give me a shout / DM if you need anything on that.

In regards to location, tough one, with 4 I’d probably go lower back and sides (bolsters) it’ll let you get some decent feeling to your base but also give nice left and right immersion. Honestly though, this is your rig, your setup, you place and do what you want to, you can add to and adjust if need be, I’ve found under the seat to be the ones that provide the least tactile response unless they are towards the front of the seat, so more like under your thighs near the bend of the knee.

Hope this helps bud, keep us posted on progress!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Большое спасибо за последний ответ! - Я очень благодарен!

Вы сказали, что у вас есть 4 усилителя и 8 шейкеров? если да, то с каким усилителем вы подключили свой большой шейкер - какой находится под сиденьем? - не могли бы вы дать ссылки?
Не могу найти название ((Буду очень признателен! - главное выяснить, какой усилитель у вас на большом шейкере и как он подключен? Моно? Или как - спасибо!

Upvote 0
Большое спасибо за последний ответ! - Я очень благодарен!

Вы сказали, что у вас есть 4 усилителя и 8 шейкеров? если да, то с каким усилителем вы подключили свой большой шейкер - какой находится под сиденьем? - не могли бы вы дать ссылки?
Не могу найти название ((Буду очень признателен! - главное выяснить, какой усилитель у вас на большом шейкере и как он подключен? Моно? Или как - спасибо!

No problem, the large Buttkicker Concert and Buttkicker Gamer2 are driven by a Behringer NX3000D amp, just Google it, I'm sure you'll find it, that is completely seperate to the 8 exciters and 4 amps thst I’ve mentioned previously @DaimodICE

hope thst makes sevse.

Upvote 0
but I don’t quite understand - a bad kicker LFE (concert) and a bad kicker gamer 2 - different forces - how did you connect?

do you get 5 amps? and 10 shakers? of everything or how - I ask you to forgive me for not understanding - I just really want to build something like yours

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes