T300 seemingly not usable in 2023 - what now?

Hey guys,
been away from simracing for a long time now, but lately got the itch again - just to find out that my T300 wheel doesn't seem to like any of my USB ports on my "new" PC (it's again some time now till i upgraded...)

If there's somebody around, knowing a fix to get a T300 working on USB3 ports (Z590 steel legend motherboard), i'd love saving me the money, but the last 2 hours with google didn't help.

So, assuming a T300 isn't working on anything produced past 2018 ... what to choose now?
When making the switch from G27 to T300, it was such a huge step, that i fear a G29 will not make me happy, but also i'm not willed to spend several hundreds or thousands of Euros on a gaming device, which is used maybe once a week.

So ya ... i know that i don't get an awesome wheel for 300€, but what's there similar to a T300, without busting the bank?

Any advices would be highly appreciated

Thanks in advance, and maybe see you on track ... sometime :D

Every USB port in your computer is backwards compatible. Meaning, every USB port on your computer can read up to USB version 1.1 from 1998. Yes, there is a connection possible from 25 (!) years old and probably will be for the next 25.
I did a check a couple of years ago on my sim hardware. Heusinkveld pedals, Simucube 2, Fanatec shifter etc etc: they all use USB 1.1 protocol. It's enough for game controllers.

My guess is, check if you installed the TM drivers on your new pc. If that doesn't work, do a firmware upgrade. Both can be found here.

Every USB port in your computer is backwards compatible. Meaning, every USB port on your computer can read up to USB version 1.1 from 1998.
That's what should happen.
In the real world, imperfect hardware and software (that ultimately doesn't meet the requirements of the spec) mean that some devices designed for one version (e.g. USB 2) don't work as expected on a port supporting a newer version (e.g. USB 3). If I recall correctly, there are instances where it's effectively the port (chipset/driver?) to blame, as well as instances where the device is non-compliant in some fashion.

After experiencing weird behavior, basically always after installing the driver, i decided to give an older driver a try - and Bamm! Instantly recognized the wheel.
Maybe just luck and next time it will not work again, but for now i'm happy :D

Hey guys,
been away from simracing for a long time now, but lately got the itch again - just to find out that my T300 wheel doesn't seem to like any of my USB ports on my "new" PC (it's again some time now till i upgraded...)

If there's somebody around, knowing a fix to get a T300 working on USB3 ports (Z590 steel legend motherboard), i'd love saving me the money, but the last 2 hours with google didn't help.

So, assuming a T300 isn't working on anything produced past 2018 ... what to choose now?
When making the switch from G27 to T300, it was such a huge step, that i fear a G29 will not make me happy, but also i'm not willed to spend several hundreds or thousands of Euros on a gaming device, which is used maybe once a week.

So ya ... i know that i don't get an awesome wheel for 300€, but what's there similar to a T300, without busting the bank?

Any advices would be highly appreciated

Thanks in advance, and maybe see you on track ... sometime :D
Odd one. I've a relatively new PC with a MSI 550m and my T300 works the same as it always did. Can't see why yours isn't working. Have you installed the Thrustmaster software?

I've never had problem with USB compatibility with any of my devices (printers, old mp3 player and digital camera - both from 2006 :)). I've heard it's possible but for me it sounds like an urban legend. Now I've got only USB 3.0 on my MB (however it's older X470 chipset) and recently purchased T300 works great on Windows 10.

T300 is working perfectly fine on new(ish) MB with USB 3.0 ports and is perfectly usable in 2023, so if someone's experiencing issues, they are limited to their specific setup only.

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 13 12.5%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 10 9.6%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 10 9.6%
  • Thursday

Votes: 12 11.5%
  • Friday

Votes: 40 38.5%
  • Saturday

Votes: 59 56.7%